The Student Room Group

Changing the course and uni after foundation year

Hello,
I have completed the Foundation year and am currently on module 3 of the first year of Business and Tourism Management. However, I am not interested in tourism anymore and decided to make application through UCAS to another 2 universities to study BA Business Management, starting in Sept/24, and I've got 1 unconditional offer so far. I am funding my studies with SFE. I firmly intend to change the curse, but I am feeling a little lost. What are the right steps to take now? Thank you in advance
Original post by camhaase
Hello,
I have completed the Foundation year and am currently on module 3 of the first year of Business and Tourism Management. However, I am not interested in tourism anymore and decided to make application through UCAS to another 2 universities to study BA Business Management, starting in Sept/24, and I've got 1 unconditional offer so far. I am funding my studies with SFE. I firmly intend to change the curse, but I am feeling a little lost. What are the right steps to take now? Thank you in advance

Hi there, how many years of Student Finance have you used so far? Are you finishing your current year for the Business and Tourism Management course? If you are planning to move university and change course for September 2024 you would need to apply as a new student for the 24/25 Academic Year once the applications will go live around March/April. Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Thank you. My current course is 4 years (foundation + 3), I ve done 1 year and 4 months. My intake was Sept/22. The one I would like to apply for is a normal BA 3 years course
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you. My current course is 4 years (foundation + 3), I ve done 1 year and 4 months. My intake was Sept/22. The one I would like to apply for is a normal BA 3 years course

Hi there. What is the name of the new course you are looking to study?

Student Finance England uses this calculation to work out how much funding you have left:

New course length + Additional Year Previous study years

For example, your new course is 3 years long, your calculation would be:

3 + 1 2 = 2 years entitlement.

This means your 1st year of Tuition Fee would be blocked for the new course. You would still be entitled to any Maintenance Loan or grant's (if eligible).

More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Leah.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Hi, thanks again. I am applying for BA Business Management. If I widraw the current course right now, without finishing the second year, the same rule still applies?
Hi, thanks again. I am applying for BA Business Management. If I widraw the current course right now, without finishing the second year, the same rule still applies?

Thank you.

Yes. We would still count it as a year of funding, even if you don't attend the full year. Thanks, Leah.
(edited 3 months ago)

Hi there,

Yes even if you leave the course just now the same previous study calculation would be used.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 7
Thank you so much for all the replies. It's clear for me now. In this case, I will fund myself for 1 year, and possibly get SFE funding for 2 years.
Just one last question, sorry.
So now, finishing the year 2, I widraw the course and when submiting my application for next year, instead of applying for the same course, should I fill the form up with the information about the new one? Do I need to send over any letter or other information?
(edited 3 months ago)
Thank you so much for all the replies. It's clear for me now. In this case, I will fund myself for 1 year, and possibly get SFE funding for 2 years.
Just one last question, sorry.
So now, finishing the year 2, I widraw the course and when submiting my application for next year, instead of applying for the same course, should I fill the form up with the information about the new one? Do I need to send over any letter or other information?

Hi there, You would submit the application as a new student on the PN1 form. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending