The Student Room Group

Anorexia and A level exams *trigger*

To cut a long story short, my lapses keep happening more often and the latest one seems to be turning into a relapse and I'm scared because I can't afford to relapse when I have exams coming up.

I have even less of an appetite than usual and it's getting to the point where I'm missing lessons because of ED related things and one of my teachers implied she knew I had an eating disorder today and the others tell me not to work so hard and to take care of myself and I'm really stunned because I didn't think anyone would notice because I don't look ill.
It doesn't help that my perfectionism is driving me mad because since I got back to school, I feel like I have to do better than everyone else because I'm not supposed to be ill anymore and I have to make up for the year I've missed. All it's doing is making me ill again.

I'm terrified that these upcoming stressful few months are going to undo my 'recovery' so far and I really want to pass my exams but I can't find any food that feels safe to me and even though eating makes me feel so awful it takes me hours to recover from it- I feel like I need to recover from my recovery- I know feeling like I'm going to collapse doesn't help when I need to revise. I spent 2 hours in the supermarket today trying to find something I could eat and ended up crying and leaving with nothing. I know I can't do exams or live like this if this carries on for much longer.

Does anyone have any tips on staying afloat in recovery during stress?

Thanks
xx
Do you have anyone that you could take with you to help you out in places like the supermarket? I know very little about anorexia, so forgive me if anything I say offends you, but I think that having others to help out would lighten the load. As they'll know you better, they can help you out with your food, and support you. I honestly hope that everything does go well for you including your exams.

And also, if you don't mind me asking (since my advice was pretty rubbish), what do you usually eat when you have to, and if you don't mind can you tell me how they make you feel? Again apologies if I'm prying to much, but I'd like to know more so maybe I could help out a bit more.
Reply 2
I can't say I really know much on the subject, but is it possible for you to say focus on eating small amounts of things that have all the nutrients you need, like a handful of cereals or some nuts, milkshakes etc.. so that your not skipping food altogether? Food is your fuel and its all about willpower. It may make you feel ill but your future will benefit from you doing what you can to keep your body going at this time. It could be an idea to let your school formally know about your situation if they don't already. Its hard, but anything that could effect your exam results should be made clear to the school, so they can appeal if you fall short in an exam. I know I always eat well when i'm at a friends, because although i have a small appetite, if someone else makes my food i feel i need to eat for politeness. Are you able to stay at a friends while you revise for support? Sorry i'm not any help.
Reply 3
i know exactly what you're going through
i've got my GCSEs coming up and i'm goin through the a very similar thing!

first thing you should do is go out and get yourself carrots! no carrot sticks or any other form, just plain old, simple carrots! or celery. same thing!
have you heard of negative calories?
if not, then they're what you call your body burning more than it gains and there are more foods that do the same thing but i forgot the rest.

so basically, get the carrots/celery and try eating those! with the fact that ur body is burning more than it gains, you should be able to down these because they're not fattening!
after you get used to eating these, move on to another food you think you'll be able to eat and try eating that. ideally, this new food should be in a different food group, but if you're unable to cope with that, then stick to the veggies until you can :smile:

if possible, have multi-vitamins! god knows we (people who suffer from anorexia in particular) need them!

if you need anyone to talk to, feel free to send me a message, i know what your going through and i'd be happy to help, read a rant or anything!
it's especially bad when your around our age because we're at that stage where ''no one understands us'' but its worse when you suffer from an eating disorder because that's when you really know that no one understands us [people who have EDs]!
(edited 13 years ago)
Remeber, exams seem really important now, but your health is more important :smile: It would help to get support from people at school maybe? for the exams themselves, you might be able to get a doctor's note to allow you to sit them in a seperate room, or be alllowed to take breaks if you think that would help
Reply 5
I can totally sympathize, although i'm not anorexic i'm in recovery for bulimia right now and my A level exams are also this year so i really don't want to mess up and miss the cheap university fee's!

I've made sure i've kept my school posted on my counseling sessions and doctors appointments so that if things do take a turn for the worse during my exams school can support and also inform universities. As i tend to get very anxious and shaky it also helps in my case as i have a chemistry practical assessment up coming so if i'm unable to do it due to that there is a valid reason why.

I totally understand the perfectionism thing as well, i'm resitting an A just because it wasn't 90% and i want an A* in chemistry - i get really bothered by tests results if they aren't 100% as thats what i was getting before my ED set in. Sounds silly i know but it drives me crazy!

Hope you can overcome this again and pass all your exams with flying colours :smile: message if you want to talk!
Reply 6
Thank you for the help guys.
I ordered this box with snacks in it, I got it for free because I had a promotion code and I have a second box coming tomorrow. It's meant to be eaten whenever you feel hungry for a snack but
Reply 7
Grr... posted before I was finished. This is the box I was talking about. Mod edit: edited for confidentiality
I'm determined to sort things out but damn, it's hard. I WILL do it though...somehow.
Just had an argument with my mum over pesto. She bought pesto without checking it was vegetarian and I've been a vegetarian for ages (even before my ED) and she's expecting me to eat something with animal rennet in it? I've just had enough of thinking about food and it's upsetting me that something that I did for ethical reasons is turning into another argument...

My school know (which is probably why they haven't kicked me out for my attendance) but :sad:. I hate having to explain myself. I just want to have one year where my academic results don't need to be explained because they're so crap.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ChemFreak
I can totally sympathize, although i'm not anorexic i'm in recovery for bulimia right now and my A level exams are also this year so i really don't want to mess up and miss the cheap university fee's!

I've made sure i've kept my school posted on my counseling sessions and doctors appointments so that if things do take a turn for the worse during my exams school can support and also inform universities. As i tend to get very anxious and shaky it also helps in my case as i have a chemistry practical assessment up coming so if i'm unable to do it due to that there is a valid reason why.

I totally understand the perfectionism thing as well, i'm resitting an A just because it wasn't 90% and i want an A* in chemistry - i get really bothered by tests results if they aren't 100% as thats what i was getting before my ED set in. Sounds silly i know but it drives me crazy!

Hope you can overcome this again and pass all your exams with flying colours :smile: message if you want to talk!

I completely understand the perfectionism don't worry! It's always sort of been unhelpful for me. GCSE year I was predicted all As and A*s, got really depressed, hardly turned up to lessons, pushed myself to get the grades because otherwise, it meant I wasn't good enough and ended up underachieving. AS year I ended up doing the wrong subjects, going to a really pressurised college and developed anorexia... :rolleyes: This year, I seem to be doing better academically and I sort of attribute it to my anorexia (even though in reality, it's probably the change of subject and the change of school) so I'm sort of scared to let my anorexia go completely in case I end up failing without it... which is even sillier because I might fail because of it! It's a total mind ****!

Good luck with your recovery! Let's both get the grades- but don't push yourself too hard. I might take you up on the PM offer. :smile:

Thanks so so much for the advice everyone! I feel much more positive right now. I have to fight and keep going even though it's the last thing I want to do. I have to be as healthy as I can so I can destroy the exams, get into university and hopefully feel better with a change in environment.
Reply 9
Does anyone know how to edit as anon? There's no edit button... I've just realised the link to the box has my name in it... :erm:
Original post by you7me

Original post by you7me
i know exactly what you're going through
i've got my GCSEs coming up and i'm goin through the a very similar thing!

first thing you should do is go out and get yourself carrots! no carrot sticks or any other form, just plain old, simple carrots! or celery. same thing!
have you heard of negative calories?
if not, then they're what you call your body burning more than it gains and there are more foods that do the same thing but i forgot the rest.

so basically, get the carrots/celery and try eating those! with the fact that ur body is burning more than it gains, you should be able to down these because they're not fattening!
after you get used to eating these, move on to another food you think you'll be able to eat and try eating that. ideally, this new food should be in a different food group, but if you're unable to cope with that, then stick to the veggies until you can :smile:

if possible, have multi-vitamins! god knows we (people who suffer from anorexia in particular) need them!

if you need anyone to talk to, feel free to send me a message, i know what your going through and i'd be happy to help, read a rant or anything!
it's especially bad when your around our age because we're at that stage where ''no one understands us'' but its worse when you suffer from an eating disorder because that's when you really know that no one understands us [people who have EDs]!

The whole point of recovery is trying to get an ED sufferer to turn their unhealthy relationship with food into a healthy one. It's an awfully hard and often slow process but it's essential for people to live again properly. 'Negative calories' is hardly the sort of terminology one wants ED recovers to have to hear. This is exactly what they're trying to get away from.

OP, anyone you can talk to about this? A relative? A close friend? Everyone will be feeling the pressure soon, and if all your worries are manifesting them selves into troubles with food the best thing to do is to talk to someone who cares about you, or someone who's taking exams and can relate, at least on a work-related stress level. You can release a suprising amount of pent-up stress through talking.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I completely understand the perfectionism don't worry! It's always sort of been unhelpful for me. GCSE year I was predicted all As and A*s, got really depressed, hardly turned up to lessons, pushed myself to get the grades because otherwise, it meant I wasn't good enough and ended up underachieving. AS year I ended up doing the wrong subjects, going to a really pressurised college and developed anorexia... :rolleyes: This year, I seem to be doing better academically and I sort of attribute it to my anorexia (even though in reality, it's probably the change of subject and the change of school) so I'm sort of scared to let my anorexia go completely in case I end up failing without it... which is even sillier because I might fail because of it! It's a total mind ****!

Good luck with your recovery! Let's both get the grades- but don't push yourself too hard. I might take you up on the PM offer. :smile:

Thanks so so much for the advice everyone! I feel much more positive right now. I have to fight and keep going even though it's the last thing I want to do. I have to be as healthy as I can so I can destroy the exams, get into university and hopefully feel better with a change in environment.

Yeh feel free, god knows i need a good rant about it as well sometimes! And its good to hear that your doing better! I'm sure you will recover and do great :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Lily Academia
The whole point of recovery is trying to get an ED sufferer to turn their unhealthy relationship with food into a healthy one. It's an awfully hard and often slow process but it's essential for people to live again properly. 'Negative calories' is hardly the sort of terminology one wants ED recovers to have to hear. This is exactly what they're trying to get away from.

yeah but if they can't eat properly then they should start eating something which they know wont cause make them gain weight so that they can get used to eating again and then move on to other foods which aren't negative caloric because if they go straight on to eating 'normal' caloric food, then i imagine that would be too much too soon
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest