The Student Room Group

why is human life so cheap in modern britain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Native British Guy
And no it would not make them a killer it would make them a purveyor of Justice.

So you believe that the state has the right to tell us that we can't do something but they can do it themselves?
Reply 81
I want to smack patronizing ****ers who retort this moronic line.

And no it would not make them a killer it would make them a purveyor of Justice.

And I want to smack idiots like you who think that the killing is justified, execution to me is hardly a form of punishment. As I once heard 'An eye for an eye makes the world blind.' Killing them because they have killed isn't right, they should be punished in other ways.

I would rather a convict rot in a small cell for the rest of their lives than face a painless death.
Original post by LadyRowena
So you believe that the state has the right to tell us that we can't do something but they can do it themselves?

What a stupid question. There are many things the state can do that we cannot do. This is no different.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by KJane
And I want to smack idiots like you who think that the killing is justified, execution to me is hardly a form of punishment. As I once heard 'An eye for an eye makes the world blind.' Killing them because they have killed isn't right, they should be punished in other ways.

I would rather a convict rot in a small cell for the rest of their lives than face a painless death.

Please go back to weaving tweed bras for your guardian reading, disabled-Muslim, feminist social circle.

N.B. 'An eye for an eye makes the world blind.' - Wow, I have never heard that anology before
Reply 84
It doesn't matter, it just means I get to save more money when doing my job.
What a stupid question. There are many things the state can do that we cannot do. This is no differant.

Please go back to weaving tweed bras for your guardian reading, disabled, muslim, feminist social circle.

Oh, I apologise; I thought you might actually be interested in serious, intellectual and philosophical debate on ethics and the role of the state. Clearly you'd rather jump to conclusions, throw insults around and spell badly. How silly of me.
Reply 86
Please go back to weaving tweed bras for your guardian reading, disabled-Muslim, feminist social circle.

I don't read the guardian you racist, sexist idiot. Don't come on here saying you want to smack and insulting people just because they have a different opinion to you, it just makes you more stuck up your own ass than you already are.
Oh, I apologise; I thought you might actually be interested in serious, intellectual and philosophical debate on ethics and the role of the state. Clearly you'd rather jump to conclusions, throw insults around and spell badly. How silly of me.

I believe executing murderers and rapists is ethical. I am not ready to discuss my ethics with some liberal, human rights supporting ****tard.

Please go back to your big house in your leafy posh suburb
I think the justice system doesn't work at all at the moment.
Those are very short sentences for such horrible crimes... But then I don't think the aim should be to punish people, this doesn't work. Rehabillitation is what should be happening (and currently does not), and that shouldn't always mean prison.
Prison doesn't work. Prison makes criminals out of people who made mistakes.
Of course sometimes you just have someone who is horrendous and can't be changed, but then the death sentence isn't the right thing. No one should have the right to take someone else's life.
Original post by KJane
I don't read the guardian you racist, sexist idiot. Don't come on here saying you want to smack and insulting people just because they have a different opinion to you, it just makes you more stuck up your own ass than you already are.

Where did I mention race :confused:

I think my slur went right over your little head
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I think the justice system doesn't work at all at the moment.
Those are very short sentences for such horrible crimes... But then I don't think the aim should be to punish people, this doesn't work. Rehabillitation is what should be happening (and currently does not), and that shouldn't always mean prison.
Prison doesn't work. Prison makes criminals out of people who made mistakes.
Of course sometimes you just have someone who is horrendous and can't be changed, but then the death sentence isn't the right thing. No one should have the right to take someone else's life.

You cannot rehabilitate peadophiles or rapists. And some people are beyond rehabilitation.

Rehabilitation ought to be the main aim of Prison, however it is not always applicable.
I believe executing murderers and rapists is ethical.

If you'd gone about justifying those beliefs in a rational and well-explained way instead of launching attacks at anyone who questions you, people would probably take you more seriously. I posed a question; I made no personal attack of any kind. I'm not sure why you interpreted it as such.

I am not ready to discuss my ethics with some liberal, human rights supporting ****tard.

If you think human rights are so bad I suggest you go and live in Somalia or Burma for a bit.

Please go back to your big house in your leafy posh suburb

For a start, don't be such a snob. If I were to have a big house in a posh suburb, how should that have any reflection on my intelligence or moral code? I can't control who my parents are, and even if I could I don't see what's so negative about working hard to earn money.
You cannot rehabilitate peadophiles or rapists. And some people are beyond rehabilitation.

Rehabilitation ought to be the main aim of Prison, however it is not always applicable.

Yes that's what I just said, sometimes someone can't be rehabillitated. But my main point was that really the prisons don't even attempt this with anyone most of the time.
It's really wrong, no wonder there are so many re-offenders.
If you'd gone about justifying those beliefs in a rational and well-explained way instead of launching attacks at anyone who questions you, people would probably take you more seriously. I posed a question; I made no personal attack of any kind. I'm not sure why you interpreted it as such.

If you think human rights are so bad I suggest you go and live in Somalia or Burma for a bit.

For a start, don't be such a snob. If I were to have a big house in a posh suburb, how should that have any reflection on my intelligence or moral code? I can't control who my parents are, and even if I could I don't see what's so negative about working hard to earn money.

1. I have lived and worked in the third world.

2. I think the European Court of Human Rights is a joke, infact I think it is dangerous.

3. Your background and environment is very pertinent, because it is middle class liberals like yourself who live in another ****ing planet and have never actually experienced the real world.
Reply 94

Maybe not a race, that's still incredibly offensive to a group of people, so would you prefer 'prejudice against Muslims' ?
Reply 95
Original post by Noodlepants
All Rapsits/Paedophiles/Murderers (perhaps only people who've killed more than once) should be sentenced to death. Use Lie detectors/numerous trials/whatever makes it "fair".
Save us some cash too...

Simples :biggrin:

So you can murder one person and not die, or you can put your glans inside another person and someone decides you deserve to die?
To many left wing idiots in this country believe this is fine and that bringing back the death penalty is in-humane in the 21st century 0.o
Original post by ShadowConspiracy
To many left wing idiots in this country believe this is fine and that bringing back the death penalty is in-humane in the 21st century 0.o

Well that's just some people's opinion. I don't think there's ever a justification for killing someone; and besides that, there's too much possibility for wrongly convicting someone for it to be ok for me.
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I believe they should bring back the death sentence. But make sure every case is properly done and stuff, not like how it was.

Original post by Noodlepants
All Rapsits/Paedophiles/Murderers (perhaps only people who've killed more than once) should be sentenced to death. Use Lie detectors/numerous trials/whatever makes it "fair".
Save us some cash too...

Simples :biggrin:

Original post by Bowman.Hath
Bring back public hanging i say.

Original post by crazycake93
Because our legal system consists of a bunch of pussies.

Bring back the death penalty

It costs more to kill someone than it does to imprison them for their whole life. Besides, once a waiting list for death row builds up, the tax payer will have to pay for years worth of a prison sentence as well as an execution.

Also, the death penalty is ineffective. It does not work as a deterrent. In fact, in this source, the murder rate is higher :rolleyes: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

Furthermore, if you kill a killer, you are then also a killer. Before you say "yeah but it would be acceptable legally", that doesn't matter. Just because something is legally acceptable or right, does not mean it is morally right.

And to anyone who says that you should just hang them because it is cheap, please educate yourselves on human rights. Yes a murderer violates the rights of another, but revenge or 'an eye for an eye' solves nothing. Also, if you take the right to life from a murderer, you are then also a murderer and lose the moral high ground upon which such a law is based.

Finally, there will always be the issue of wrongful conviction. If the death penalty results in one execution after wrongful conviction then in my eyes it is wrong. And this will almost undoubtedly happen. Newly-available DNA evidence has allowed the exoneration and release of more than 15 death row inmates since 1992 in the United States,[4] but DNA evidence is available in only a fraction of capital cases. - Wikipedia.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Well that's just some people's opinion. I don't think there's ever a justification for killing someone; and besides that, there's too much possibility for wrongly convicting someone for it to be ok for me.

With DNA evidence which is constantly getting better, the chances of being 'wrongly' convicted is next till nill

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending