The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Uni as a student

I got an offer for Southampton a while ago for CS. Also got an offer from Leeds, not sure if I want to go there or not.

Was just looking for opinions on student life there really. Is the area the campus is in nice, what about the accommodation?

When I went to the open day, the Campus was lovely. But the offputting factor for me really was the accommodation, which was rather old, and the area around it(Although I don't quite remember this, I may be misremembering).

Any general opinions on life in Southampton would be great, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by AnotherStudent!
I got an offer for Southampton a while ago for CS. Also got an offer from Leeds, not sure if I want to go there or not.

Was just looking for opinions on student life there really. Is the area the campus is in nice, what about the accommodation?

When I went to the open day, the Campus was lovely. But the offputting factor for me really was the accommodation, which was rather old, and the area around it(Although I don't quite remember this, I may be misremembering).

The CS dept at Soton is fantastic and the facilities are brilliant. My daughter is about to graduate from Soton with an MEng in electronics and she's loved her time there. Electronics is part of the same dept as CS. The accommodation is your standard student accommodation with different levels from en- suite to shared facilities. Rents in private accommodation are cheap and there are loads of houses close to campus. There are lots of societies and a great social scene. Leeds is a great university and city, but Soton is better for CS, imo.
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Debs25
The CS dept at Soton is fantastic and the facilities are brilliant. My daughter is about to graduate from Soton with an MEng in electronics and she's loved her time there. Electronics is part of the same dept as CS. The accommodation is your standard student accommodation with different levels from en- suite to shared facilities. Rents in private accommodation are cheap and there are loads of houses close to campus. There are lots of societies and a great social scene. Leeds is a great university and city, but Soton is better for CS, imo.

Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB
Reply 3
Original post by Lemon 24
Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB

Depends on the subject. I know STEM subjects are less lenient- engineering in particular. Good luck with your exams!
Original post by AnotherStudent!

Hey!
First off, congratulations on your offer for Computer Science! The university has a fantastic reputation for its computer science program, so you're definitely in good hands.

I'd be happy to give you some insights into student life here. In terms of the area around the campus, it's really nice. The university is located in the heart of the city, so you'll be close to plenty of shops, restaurants, and cafes. There are also lots of green spaces and parks in the area, so you can enjoy some fresh air and sunshine when the weather's nice.

Regarding accommodation, it has a range of options available to suit all budgets and preferences. While some of the older halls of residence might not be as modern as others, they still offer a great student experience and a chance to make lifelong friends. That being said, it also has some newer accommodation options on offer, such as Mayflower Halls, which are modern, spacious, and well-equipped.

In terms of tourist attractions, Southampton has plenty to offer. The Tudor House and Garden is a must-visit for anyone interested in history, and the Sea City Museum is a great place to learn about the city's maritime heritage. For those interested in the arts, the City Art Gallery is definitely worth a visit. It has an extensive collection of contemporary and modern art, as well as works by some of the great masters.

The university also provides a wide range of clubs and societies at the university, with over 300 student-run groups for you to get involved with. Whether you're interested in sports, music, politics, or anything in between, there's sure to be a club or society that suits you.

Overall, Southampton is a great place to be a student. With a fantastic campus, a lively city center, and a supportive student community, you're sure to have a great time here.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending