The Student Room Group

Laptops in lectures

I'm going back to uni for a second degree in September. I don't want to give myself away as the dinosaur that I am, so, are students mostly using laptops to take lecture notes now instead of pen and paper?

Scroll to see replies

Best method is pen and paper which most people use

People bring laptops when they get bored, a select few actually use it for work. Interesting lectures you'll see few laptops but in a boring lecture, a lot of people will have one on them to browse facebook, bbc news etc
(edited 13 years ago)
Almost nobody brings a laptop into a lecture. The vast majority of people just take a wad of paper and a pen.
Reply 3
Virtually no-one uses laptops in lectures. It's easier and quicker, generally, to take notes on paper and the temptation to go online is usually too strong for most people who do take them.
Reply 4
only a few people have laptops in my lectures, and mostly they're on facebook.
i wouldn't take any notes if i had my laptop with me, plus i'm too lazy to carry it in.
paper and pen is fine :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thanks guys!
Reply 6
Facebook in the row infront, I can take. It's when people open multiple windows and keeping switching between them that it gets distracting.

Chinese girl with the Sony Vaio in the row infront. Took off her shoes and sat cross-legged, and opened about seven windows and kept switching. Facebook and her email wasn't so bad, but when she started playing Farmville and watching Cantopop it got really annoying. I had to tune her out by having a sexual fantasy about the girl two seats to the right.
(edited 13 years ago)
Im going to take one, I find it way quicker to write on one and they will be a lot neater!
Reply 8
Hmm, I do find it easier and quicker to type than to handwrite, and text files are so much easier to keep organised than sheets of paper!

However, the course I'm doing will require me to write by hand quickly and legibly so I should probably get used to it.

I guess I'll play it by ear.
Reply 9
If I had my laptop in lectures all the time, I'd be on twitter the whole time :/
Reply 10
Original post by welshmun
If I had my laptop in lectures all the time, I'd be on twitter the whole time :/

Yeah I'm too much of a miserable old fart to be on Twitter!
Reply 11
Tbf, every time I see someone with a laptop in a lecture I want to take it away from them and bash them over the head with it :colonhash:

You could always type up your notes later if you want a neater version.

Incessant tapping is just plain annoying :colonhash:
There's a mix, I took mine in for a while but then if I was going somewhere afterwards it was a nuisance. Also I didn't like having it on the train :frown:
Reply 13
Use Microsoft OneNote - it's the BEST note-taking tool out there. I always had it lurking in a corner of my computer, until I finally decided to open it and see what it was all about. It was probably the best thing I've ever found when it comes to computers and productivity. I'm much faster at typing than I am at writing, I believe it's more effortless, and with OneNote, reviewing and searching is a breeze. I recommend getting a small netbook, and a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet. In a lecture, you occupy the same room as with a ring binder, less so, when the tablet is on your lap. Please check out OneNote - it changed my life, and I really do love it and will never look back. I haven't totally scrapped pen and paper, sometimes I have a notepad out for quick notes. Make sure everything is backed up on your laptop too. OneNote all the way!!!!
Reply 14
I'm a Mac girl!
Reply 15
Only 1 girl in any of my lectures uses a laptop, so I'm sure pen and paper are good. Though if you think you'd do better on a laptop go for it and don't worry about everyone else.
Original post by janet9
Use Microsoft OneNote - it's the BEST note-taking tool out there. I always had it lurking in a corner of my computer, until I finally decided to open it and see what it was all about. It was probably the best thing I've ever found when it comes to computers and productivity. I'm much faster at typing than I am at writing, I believe it's more effortless, and with OneNote, reviewing and searching is a breeze. I recommend getting a small netbook, and a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet. In a lecture, you occupy the same room as with a ring binder, less so, when the tablet is on your lap. Please check out OneNote - it changed my life, and I really do love it and will never look back. I haven't totally scrapped pen and paper, sometimes I have a notepad out for quick notes. Make sure everything is backed up on your laptop too. OneNote all the way!!!!

Wow, how much did Microsoft pay you for this post? :biggrin:
im doing a coding course so imagine not having my laptop would be pointless
Reply 18
I hardly ever take notes in lectures, but yes, only a small minority use laptops. It's kind of annoying when those with laptops do stupid **** like look at facebook and chat to people on the crappy little chat box to make sure everyone knows they apparently have a life.
Original post by janet9

I just found it on my laptop, didn't know I even had it
Its going to take abit of fiddling around
But I like it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending