The Student Room Group

Best Laptops and Specifications For Computer Science Uni Students

Hi, I’m going to uni in a few months to study computer science, but I’m unsure about what laptop and what specs I should get? Does anyone have any recommendations? Cheers
Original post by wills_18
Hi, I’m going to uni in a few months to study computer science, but I’m unsure about what laptop and what specs I should get? Does anyone have any recommendations? Cheers

Hi :smile:,

Honestly, you don't really need anything that special. I got the Lenovo Yoga 7i because I was under the impression that I would need something fancy and no not really. Maybe in later years (I just finished my first year) but I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my laptop. It's great. I find writing on it handy and I wouldn't be able to live without a num pad but those are just silly little things and not really what I paid for which was me searching for an i7 processor and 16GB of ram.

When I'm coding I have open about 5 different web pages with all the lecture videos and notes etc and the coding client itself and maybe Spotify as well. So hopefully that gives you an idea of what it needs to be able to do. Then I also use it for note-taking in lectures but that's just a Word document.

Basically, my advice is to figure out what you like in your laptop whether that's a big screen or a nice feeling keyboard or your keys being backlit and find a good deal with that sort of stuff because you'll be spending quite a lot of time looking at it and using it. Don't stretch your laptop budget on something really fancy unless you want to :smile:

I hope that might help a little

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Reply 2
Original post by HWU StudentRep 3
Hi :smile:,

Honestly, you don't really need anything that special. I got the Lenovo Yoga 7i because I was under the impression that I would need something fancy and no not really. Maybe in later years (I just finished my first year) but I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my laptop. It's great. I find writing on it handy and I wouldn't be able to live without a num pad but those are just silly little things and not really what I paid for which was me searching for an i7 processor and 16GB of ram.

When I'm coding I have open about 5 different web pages with all the lecture videos and notes etc and the coding client itself and maybe Spotify as well. So hopefully that gives you an idea of what it needs to be able to do. Then I also use it for note-taking in lectures but that's just a Word document.

Basically, my advice is to figure out what you like in your laptop whether that's a big screen or a nice feeling keyboard or your keys being backlit and find a good deal with that sort of stuff because you'll be spending quite a lot of time looking at it and using it. Don't stretch your laptop budget on something really fancy unless you want to :smile:

I hope that might help a little

- Jessica
1st Year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Ah okay thanks Jessica I really appreciate your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending