The Student Room Group

To What Extent Have Civil Liberties Been Eroded

I'm not quite sure how to structure my answer to this question. Any ideas?
Reply 1
The anti-terrorist laws would be a good place to start looking.
You Probably Shouldn't Structure It Like This Because If You Do Your Lecturer Will Think You Eat Glue.
Reply 3
Original post by Hopple
The anti-terrorist laws would be a good place to start looking.

Yeah, definitely going to look at that.

But would it be better to structure it chronologically or thematically?

Original post by Cuddlemonster
You Probably Shouldn't Structure It Like This Because If You Do Your Lecturer Will Think You Eat Glue.

Shall bear that in mind.
Reply 4
Original post by roonilwazlib
Yeah, definitely going to look at that.

But would it be better to structure it chronologically or thematically?

I'd go chronologically. Presumably you'll find different amounts of stuff on each bit, so thematically would make it look unbalanced. Also, with chronological order it is easier to mention causes and effects without appearing to jump about as much.
Any kind of erosion is terrible.
Reply 6
Original post by turn and fall
Any kind of erosion is terrible.

Without erosion we wouldn't have chalk, and without chalk we wouldn't have been able to learn the stuff that we learnt hundreds of years ago, then we wouldn't have the internet, and that means no TSR :no:

I personally would just use four or firve ways that is is being eroded and then four or five ways that it isn't obviously with into and conclu. That ways your structure is really clear and you can write it organising your ideas a bit as you go :smile:
Reply 8
New Labour made some quite major modifications to civil liberties in the name of security; the current Conservative administration appears to intend to continue this.
I'd quote:

- Various anti-terror laws
- Widespread CCTV
- Stop and search laws
- Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
- Recent modifications and proposed modifications to protest laws and tactics

There are many articles on the subject (to give two examples, although both are from left-leaning sources; there are examples on right-leaning sites, but only in the vein of the Mail, the Evening Standard etc., which I certainly wouldn't cite in an exam :wink: ) which you could cite.

As for signs that civil liberties are not being eroded or are being restored, the Protection of Liberties Bill hasn't gone through Parliament fully yet, but it exists.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9

What's this for exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending