The Student Room Group

What's the least respected: AS level Law or Sociology or Business studies?

I need to pick a fourth AS level, already have three traditional subjects, what's the least respected out of these three?
Reply 1
Probably Business Studies cuz it's easy as piss.
Reply 2
Is that officially true for unis? BS would be the softest choice out of the three?
Reply 3
Any one else?
Reply 4
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Cambridge university for example sees them as limited suitability
what do you intend to do at university?
Reply 5
They are all on a equal level for 'least respected', which is backed up by trinity college's a level guide thing ^

I would say sociology is better out of the three.

I see BS as the worst one there though imho. I just don't rate it when economics is offered as a subject.
Reply 6
Depends what you want to study... but if you take it only at AS it won't matter anyway.
Reply 7
I intend to study either Law, Politics or Psycholgy with management studies at Uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Vampire90210
I intend to study either Law, Politics or Psycholgy with management studies at Uni.

Yeah, go with sociology.:P
Reply 9
Oh okay.
It wouldnt hurt to say thank you to the people that used their time to help you out would it?
Reply 11
Business is a walk in the park
Reply 12
I'm pretty sure it's business studies.
Reply 13
Just to answer.

Cambridge put's them all at 'the same level'.
Reply 14
Original post by Stricof

Yes, well. In no way is Trinity College's list the exhaustive one around here. For example - Sheffield also have a list. Sheffield is a brilliant University in my opinion and ranks highly for the OP's interested subject in Politics for example. Yet they also accept ALL of his forth subjects as first subjects. I think it would be poor to use Trinity College's list as the final discourse of A level choices.

No my point in posting the link was that they all have value but I had to get off of the computer so didn't have time to explain. The op asked which is the least respected and I was posting the link so he could have a look and see that they are all kind of the same level. By limited suitability I meant to say that they are of limited suitability as opposed to only being suitable as a fourth. On another note Sheffield is my insurance so I know that they don't look down on sociology (which I took) for example. I used trinity as an example as it is seen as prestigious (I don't know where the OP intends ton apply to) and because it is the only list that I know of. I never said to take it as gospel.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
NOT LAW! Law is a very soft subject at A-level, do Sociology.
Original post by mevidek
NOT LAW! Law is a very soft subject at A-level, do Sociology.

I know its 2 yrs later but im choosing my a levels and want to choose between sociology or law. I thought law was harder then sociology. I want to go to oxbridge my other options are biology physics and psychology. Why the downer on law.
Reply 17
Original post by Aneesah_May
I know its 2 yrs later but im choosing my a levels and want to choose between sociology or law. I thought law was harder then sociology. I want to go to oxbridge my other options are biology physics and psychology. Why the downer on law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it teaches you an instrumental view of the world....
Hi for my GCSEs I got C for English language and biology I got b for Chem and Phys and maths and A for English literature

I want to become a barrister/solicitor I am hoping to do sociology (like debating and writing) however I don't kno what other subjects to take?
I'm thinking psychology and law as well!!
Is law hard? Shall I take English lit instead? But won't memorising quotes be hard?

Plz help
Thank you
I'm taking my options for year 10 and I've chosen art and I'm stuck between business studies and sociology

Quick Reply

Latest