The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

How is Loughborough for social/nightlife?

Ideally i'd like a community feel green campus, with a lot of facilities. This being smack in the centre of a vibrant city with lots of nightlife.

However I know thats hard to find. Loughborough does a few of the courses that I like, so would like to know how the overall experience is there.

I know people say you can travel to nearby cities (e.g Nottingham) but is this a nuisance & do a lot of people actually do this?

Any pro/con points would be helpful :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123jordan123
Ideally i'd like a community feel green campus, with a lot of facilities. This being smack in the centre of a vibrant city with lots of nightlife.

However I know thats hard to find. Loughborough does a few of the courses that I like, so would like to know how the overall experience is there.

I know people say you can travel to nearby cities (e.g Nottingham) but is this a nuisance & do a lot of people actually do this?

Loughborough itself is only a small town so oviously the nightlife isn't the best but like you say Nottingham is very close so by being at Loughborough you can also enjoy the benefits of a large city.

However although the bus and rail service is good in the daytime, there are no night services therefore if you want a night out in nottingham or leicester, then you would have to rely on cabs and fares between loughborough and nottingham would be extremely expensive.

Nottingham University btw sounds like your ideal university because it has a large campus with a nice community feeling and its in nottingham!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by ultimate mashup
Loughborough itself is only a small town so oviously the nightlife isn't the best but like you say Nottingham is very close so by being at Loughborough you can also enjoy the benefits of a large city.

However although the bus and rail service is good in the daytime, there are no night services therefore if you want a night out in nottingham or leicester, then you would have to rely on cabs and fares between loughborough and nottingham would be extremely expensive.

Nottingham University btw sounds like your ideal university because it has a large campus with a nice community feeling and its in nottingham!

Oh thats a shame! :frown:

Ah, aparently nottingham uni are raising all the tuition fees to £9k.
do you know if nottingham city nice? i've heard it's a tad rough around the edges!
Oh thats a shame! :frown:

Ah, aparently nottingham uni are raising all the tuition fees to £9k.
do you know if nottingham city nice? i've heard it's a tad rough around the edges!

Yes unfortunatly many uni's are going up to £9k including Loughborough. Nottingham does have a repuatation for being a bit rough but I can honestly say its often exaggerated. Its properly more rough than Loughborough though but no rougher than any other major city.

Nottingham as city is quite nice. There's two large universities so it has a large student population and therefore its very lively and has good nightlife. Good range of shops and good transport network of buses and trams.

The Nottingham university's main campus is very tranquil with large lake and fine buildings.
Reply 4
Personally I'm quite happy about the nightlife, every week there's always something on at the union Tuesday-Friday, and occasionally during the other days as well, and then there are about 5 nightclubs you can go to in town as well. There's plenty of nightlife here at Loughborough for the average person, and people don't go there too often but there are Nottingham/Leicester nearby as well, you might find your hall at Loughborough will organise nights out there occasionally.

Whenever Loughborough is mentioned people seem to have a problem with the place for whatever reason, saying it's a tiny town, or a cockfest, blah blah blah. Well clearly we're doing something right if Loughborough won best university for the 5th year in a row. In addition to winning overall this year, it came first in facilities, social life, campus life, extracurricular activities/societies, and obviously sporting facilities, and came 2nd for best student union, and excelled well in pretty much every other area as well.

So make of that what you will, but like I said, clearly it won't keep winning best university and best social life if people were having a miserable time here! - http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=415180&c=2
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Loughboroughs nice, its is green, really very green even for a campus. Today it ill have been sunny and warm too!

The union is huge, and petty **** hot (im bias, buts its also true) and there is several other nightclubs and a host of bars in the town. A select minority of people go to nottingham regularly, and there are also clubs the support this such as the rock soc. But most fine actually theres enough in the town so the draw is smaller the the effort. Its really not far, but i think i went four times, maybe? Mainly staff christmas partys with coluges fom the union where i worked with the lighting and rigging.

Daniel
Reply 6
I'm very satisfied with the Loughborough night life!

Sounds like you'd prefer Sheffield (and living in the endcliffe(?) village) or Nottingham tbh if you're looking for a vibrant city as Loughborough is more of a market town. Still plenty of things to do and easy to get to Nottingham or Leicester if you needed more though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Melting Sugar.
Sounds like you'd prefer Sheffield (and living in the endcliffe(?) village) or Nottingham tbh if you're looking for a vibrant city as Loughborough is more of a market town. Still plenty of things to do and easy to get to Nottingham or Leicester if you needed more though.

Thanks for your help!!

I don't think Sheffield do any of the courses i'm interested in :/ but i've heard its amazing! gaahh!
Reply 9

I live in loughborough and the nightlifes not so bad. No massive clubs but everythings really close togather and there are some decent bars/ small clubs. Plus the unions good.

Leicester/nottingham are very easy to get to.
Thanks for your help!!

I don't think Sheffield do any of the courses i'm interested in :/ but i've heard its amazing! gaahh!

Nottingham and Leicester are a really quick and cheap train or bus ride away, and there are shuttle buses to the station that cost £1.50 or you could walk to the bus stop just outside the uni.

Well there is werewolves and vampires at night.

Witches also fly around on brooms casting curses at you, err I think that's it for nightlife!
Reply 12
I heard Loughborough was in the top 3 for nightlife. The place has everything, you will also make many, many more friends there as a campus uni than any city.

Have you heard of the buffalos? The drinking club. Read up on that, read about initiation there, then you will see what the nightlife is like.

Nottingham from what I saw is pretty scruffy. Clubs are expensive taxis or long walks away from each other, whereas at Loughborough you can go to a few clubs with hardly any walk/expensive taxi fare.
Reply 13
Loughborough has more nightclubs and bars than Leicester, that are student friendly anyways. I go to Loughborough uni, but live in Leicestershire, so Leicester is my closest city.

Leicester has s*** nightlife, although it's recently gained a new nightclub.

Loughborough, however, has a night out for every night of the week, and not neccesarily centred around the union
Reply 14
manchester or loughborough nightlife???
Loughborough does have quite a community feel to it.. it is called the bubble after all (in a good way!) everything is basically in one place and I find the town to be quite student friendly in terms of shops discounts etc! it is also really easy to get to other places. I am personally glad I picked Loughborough especially when getting up in the mornings :p:
Reply 16
THANXX
Reply 17
Original post by ultimate mashup

This isn't true, there is the skylink airport bus which runs hourly through the night. I frequently use it to go out in Leicester. £5 return, it's about a 25 minute journey.
Original post by victoriam
This isn't true, there is the skylink airport bus which runs hourly through the night. I frequently use it to go out in Leicester. £5 return, it's about a 25 minute journey.

Ah okay, I don't think that there are any night buses between Nottingham and Loughborough though are there?
I live near Loughborough. Come over to Leicester city centre for the nights about 12 miles away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending