The Student Room Group

why are white people ashamed of their race?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BlackVenom321
Yeah I'm aware, but i just tried to put things in perspective. sorry to anger you

hey, i'm not angry. just concerned about the lopsided view that whites are somehow responsible for slavery.

ironically, whites and blacks both have a history of being arab slaves.

whites always purchased their slaves from west african princes and tribal leaders who sold their captives, whereas arabs just raided.

lonf before the european traders started buying slaves, arabs had already enslaved the continent by force:

youtube.com/watch?v=8zM_MzkLKPY
Original post by CombineHarvester
Yes that's why I know why minorities do it, what they're really saying is that they're not ashamed or no longer feel ashamed. Obviously white people haven't felt like this in England or America which is why they don't feel the need to tell people they're not ashamed.

This was exactly my first point LOL. cheers
Reply 42
I'm proud of being White but I'm also ashamed of many White people. Here's a part of a post I made in another thread:

"..living in a White neighbourhood just pains me.. where I live is either old White women/men over the age of 60 who are smoking and drinking their lives away, or young White chavs also smoking and drinking their lives away and only live to have meaningless casual sex, or middle aged White couples who have 1 child and decide that it's too much to handle, as the White woman needs money and time to have her hair done or some other decadent cause and the White guy needs money and time for beer and football or holidays to Thailand (the last point is facetious, but there's 1 guy I know who lives off quite a high disability allowance, but he doesn't spend it on anything except the bare basics, and once a year he goes to Thailand and literally spends most of it on Thai hookers)."

I see White people in this country, and Europe in general, as very.. "weak". I think it's the product of living in such a controlling, but at the same time easy, baby-fed society. I mean, I almost feel like if I e.g. raped an Asian/Black guy's daughter in front of him, he would rip my head off. If I did the same with a White guy he would probably start crying, phone the police, and rely on the government to hold his hand and punish me, or something.

It's just derived from the fact that we live in a society of contrasts - life in e.g. India/Africa/China is far more difficult than life in the UK, and we therefore have "hardened" immigrants mixing with the soft White public.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pukhtun
The Japanese were far worse than the Nazis.

didn't know this, I don't do history. In the name of procrastination I will look into this
Reply 44
Original post by IlexBlue
Racist? Are you serious?

While we abolished it, we're also the ones who started it in the first place. You know, going to Africa, raiding villages, taking innocent natives back to our land and forcing them to work for us...

this is racist.

white people purchased their slaves from african tribal leaders who sold their own captives. it was collusion.

im interested to know where your opinion comes from? was it from secondary school?
Original post by Broderss
But slavery has always existed and it has always been inevitable that one day big nations would exploit a group of people, but shouldn't we be thankful that it has happened and one glorious nation has shown us the light and taught humanity a lesson it should never have to learn again? It's like knowing someone was going to get killed by a group of people, so you go in, give them near fatal wounds, but revive and heal them so they can live without being killed.

I see your point but I'll still stick with my views but word it slightly differently. Just because something is inevitable I don't think that justifies it, like the starting of the slave trade. We should be proud that we had a huge role in ending the slave trade and the subsequent enforcing of this in the Atlantic but equally we should acknowledge that our fairly long involvement in it was wrong.
Original post by humanrights
the japanese committed the most evil acts of the 20th century, but they do not berate themselves about it. they move on.

white people on the other hand, like to berate themselves collectively because of the crimes of their elites..........but why is this?

are white people melodramatic and self loathing by nature or are they just idiotic?

Yeah, why do the Japanese move on? Because they don't want to face up to the past. Remember all those manifestations in China? And the rising anti-Japan sentiment in China and Korea? There are reasons for it. And Yasukuni, the lack of reparations for WWII (including comfort women), the rewriting of history... are not to be so easily dismissed.

"White people" (very big term don't you think? That includes Germans and Americans together, and I wouldn't ever put those two in the same basket. Oh and it also includes my beloved French, which is also a different case) know they did wrong (in a lot of things.) I mean, they experienced two world wars, many other wars, and they saw what they had built (concentration camps were not a paradise btw.) They were also incredibly inhumane in some cases (slavery in the States, the colonization of some countries were undertaken in some terrible ways, disrespecting completely other "uncivilized" cultures...) I think we have a lot to live up to, don't you?
And yet, there are still many things that we could live up to a bit more. Japanese internment camps in America are not given enough importance in some history books IMO.

We also branded a culture of racism for a long time (if you read the Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison you'd see how hurt the whole Black Community, which is beautiful in itself, was hurt by the whole Shirley Temple idealization.)

But what white people feel is not shame nor guilt. It's self-reflection. We also have a lot to be proud of, and we know this. There's a reason we learn about the Renaissance for ages, about our literature for years as well. Etc etc.

I think you should research things properly before claiming white people to be "idiotic." And ironically, had it not been for "white people", I doubt you'd have a computer with internet to post those kind of idiocies on.
Original post by Crazydavy
I'm proud of what Britain once was, not of the slave trade (to name one thing) but the British Empire was astounding in its own right.

How can you be proud of something that you yourself had no part in? It's like me saying I'm proud of the 1966 England World Cup Team, just because I quite like what they did.
It's because we can't dunk :frown:
Reply 49
this is racist.

white people purchased their slaves from african tribal leaders who sold their own captives. it was collusion.

im interested to know where your opinion comes from? was it from secondary school?

And we're ignoring the fact that we still forced said slaves to work and treated them as inferior human beings until the civil rights movement?

No, it comes from common sense.
Reply 50
And we're ignoring the fact that we still forced said slaves to work and treated them as inferior human beings until the civil rights movement?

No, it comes from common sense.

er, no.

slavery was abolished long before the civil rights movement in the US.

slavery was abolished because white people saw black people as equal.

slavery was not invented by white people, they just inherited a system.
this is racist.

Can you please define racism because I'm not sure you quite understand.
Reply 52
er, no.

maybe people wanted to think that, but black people definitely weren't treated equally the moment slavery was abolished.
the nazis killed 13 million in the camps, not 6. the zion centric 6 million is racist against the non jews.

the japanese killed 20 million in china. even the nazis were shaken by the barbarity committed in the 'rape of nanking'

You really need to do your research... The figures of the Rape of Nanking have changed over time. We only have estimations which, in 1945, were of 45,000, now of 300,000 (inflated values for political reasons.)
And where the h*ll do you get the statistics for the 20 million killed in China during that time? And 90 million Japanese were NOT killed by the atomic bombs. And people had no way of knowing how bad the aftermaths of those bombs (i.e. the Black Rain, radiation) were going to be.
Reply 54
er, no.

slavery was abolished long before the civil rights movement in the US.

slavery was not invented by white people, they just inherited a system.

I know slavery was abolished before the civil rights movement, I was referring to them being treated as lower than white people.

And quite clearly they didn't see them as equal, or Martin Luther King would have been out of a job.

Oh, okay. So because we didn't invent the concept of slavery, what we did is entirely justified?
I'm neither ashamed or proud of my race because it's something that I have absolutely no control over and I'm not a ****ing moron.

This is even stupider than getting all upset because of actions taken by your country in the past and present.
Original post by vandub
How can you be proud of something that you yourself had no part in? It's like me saying I'm proud of the 1966 England World Cup Team, just because I quite like what they did.

It starts to get picky when you analyse individual words I'm sure you know what I mean. I respect the accomplishments of my distant ancestors if you prefer this phrasing?
"Pride" in ones race is silly, whether white, black, or asian.

No race has committed more atrocities than any other.

White people who are, in fact, self-critical are generally products of a western, democratic, wealthy, liberal society in which there are higher expectations for human conduct. This is by no means a bad thing, and ensures that we remain, as a society, committed to the highest level of human conduct, however we have also developed an inability to critique other, far worse, societies for their inhuman, bigoted, cruel, and ignorant conduct.
They are?
Reply 59
I know slavery was abolished before the civil rights movement, I was referring to them being treated as lower than white people.

And quite clearly they didn't see them as equal, or Martin Luther King would have been out of a job.

Oh, okay. So because we didn't invent the concept of slavery, what we did is entirely justified?

segregation was not everywhere in the US. the civil rights movement was mainly about southern states.

side note: white southerners wanted to segregate blacks because of high crime rates. since segregation, anti white violence has increased dramatically. so they have been justified in that sense.

as for slavery, white traders purchased their slaves from the princes and tribal leaders in africa. they did a trade. the africans sold their captives and the whites wanted cheap labour............

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending