The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tizmo
THIS.

Just put the equation into my Casio FX85GT plus and I got 2.

Im in bed and tying this on my phone so i have no calculator to hand, though my take on the issue is:

(48/2)(9+3)= 24(12) = 288

48{division sign here}2(9+3) = 2

Any1 in agreement with me?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Simplicity
PEDMAS.

Why you guys getting 288. You must be doing something wrong?

Do you guys even do Maths?

I'd have thought brackets, then division, then multiplication.

So (9+3)=12

48÷2(12)

Then division.

(24)(12)
=288

And anyway, if you're so certain that it's 2, why did you start the thread?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
No no no
Check your working out

maybe error working out
Follow BIDMAS and you'll get 288.

Brackets
Indices
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction
Reply 24
The way I see it and have learned it, when simplifying the brackets, it still stays as 2(12).

so 48÷2(12), so the multiplication is done first, so 48÷24, which is 2.
Reply 25
Original post by bloomblaze
I thought it would be 288 if the expression read (48/2)(9+3) ie brackets, but without brackets around the first bit it would be 2.

Anyone with me?? Or am i talking nonsense?

Yes but 48÷2(9+3) and 48/2 x (9+3) are the same thing. BIDMAS clearly explains that division is before multiplication. Hence 288.

I'm quite worried about the number of people who thought this was 2...
Original post by Simplicity
PEDMAS.

Why you guys getting 288. You must be doing something wrong?

Do you guys even do Maths?

The 'DM' part. See my working.
Original post by Tizmo
The way I see it and have learned it, when simplifying the brackets, it still stays as 2(12).

Multiplication and division are equally-weighted so you work from left to right (after the brackets and indices have been dealt with) - one has no precedence over the other.
(edited 13 years ago)
N(Y) = N x Y right? Unless there is a symbol, assume its x.

(I haven't done maths in 3 years, so don't take my word for it...)
Reply 30
na na na

you have to add then add and then multiply out the things
then add the things then subtract the thing from the thing

and then AL a BOOM you have ur trupid answer
Original post by bloomblaze
Im in bed and tying this on my phone so i have no calculator to hand, though my take on the issue is:

(48/2)(9+3)= 24(12) = 288

48{division sign here}2(9+3) = 2

Any1 in agreement with me?

Original post by Tizmo

As I said earlier, you have 48 ÷ 2(9+3). 9+3 = 12, so you have 48÷2(12). If you then replace (12) with y, and 2 with x, you have 48÷x(y) or 48/x(y). x(y) = xy = x * y . So you have 48/x * y. x is 2, so you have 24 * y, y is 12 so you have 288.
Reply 32
Wait, of course! It is 288 because of the Order of Mathematical Equations, aka BEDMAS/BIDMAS, like others have mentioned.

http://math.about.com/library/weekly/aa040502a.htm

So, basically:
48÷2(12)

can be rewritten as

(48÷2)(12)

Division comes first

(24)(12) =

Serves me right for trying to calculate at this hour!

Just looking at my notes from college, this is what I have written down when we went over the mathematical rules:

1) Brackets
2) Exponents/Logarithms
3) Division
4) Multiplication
5) Addition/Subtraction
(edited 13 years ago)
i'm gonna plop for 288
Reply 34

48÷2(9+3)= 48÷2x12=24x12=288
Original post by andrewmc96
Multiplication and division are equally-weighted so you work from left to right (after the brackets and indices have been dealt with) - one has no precedence over the other.

Division has precedence normally, I was taught so in Maths, and usually you expect division to have precedence in the 3rd gen languages I have come across (C, C++, Java, etc).
Original post by rmhumphries
Division has precedence normally, I was taught so in Maths, and usually you expect division to have precedence in the 3rd gen languages I have come across (C, C++, Java, etc).

My maths teacher taught us that neither had precedence over the other. Oh well, guess he was kinda wrong. :s-smilie:
Original post by rmhumphries

I was always taught that division and multiplication (as they are effectively the same thing - 2x0.5=2/2) and addition and subtraction (again, 2-2 = 2+(-2)) are treated equally, so it now goes left to right. Therefore, strictly speaking, I suppose it is 288, but really it's just a poorly written equation.

48 ÷ (2 x 12) is a totally different calculation to 48 ÷ 2 x 12.

48 ÷ (2 x 12) = 2
48 ÷ 2 x 12 = 288

Latest