48/(2(9+3)) then...
48/(2(12))
48/(24) = 2

If it is:
(48(9+3))/2 then...
(48(12))/2
(576)/2 = 288

From the way you typed it, I think it's 2
originally I thought 2, but I'm now thinking 288, because I don't think the 2 is associated with the brackets. That would be written as 42÷(2(9+3)).
This is why fractions are much better.
Original post by Phalange
If it is:
48/(2(9+3)) then...
48/(2(12))
48/(24) = 2

If it is:
(48(9+3))/2 then...
(48(12))/2
(576)/2 = 288

From the way you typed it, I think it's 2

It it not clear from the way it written (due to a lack of brackets) wether the 9+3 is on top of the fraction or bottom. Using bodmas correctly when there is no brackets to make thing clearer you simply work from left to right. This gives you an answer of 288.
Original post by connor ellis
But you cannot take it as a fraction. you could if it was 48/(2(9+3)) then the answer would be 2. However as it is written 48/2(9+3) The 9+3 part is not necessarily on the lower half of the fraction. Using Bodmas properly the answer is 288 no doubt.

bodmas is a child's game. seriously. there would have to be brackets around (48/2) for it to not mulptiply the (9+3).

by the way, the division sign just means fraction. wherever there is a division sign, there is a fraction.

this is why children at schools should not be using the division sign in the first place ever, people who don't go on to take maths seriously further do not understand it's true meaning.

ps. please stop neg repping me, i'm not even being rude, just trying to show people how to do maths :frown: sad times.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 484
It's 2. Think OP should do a poll to see how many people thinks its 2 or 288.
Reply 485
Original post by Miss Anonymous
I don't understand how it can be 288.
I still think its 2.

Could someone explain please?

thanks

Edit: to the person who negged me, is curiosity a sin?

You use BODMAS to order the operations correctly.

48/2(9+3)

Brackets: (9+3) = 12
Divide: 48/2 = 24
Multiply: 24(12) = 24 x 12 = 288
Original post by 419

problem being anyone can post on this forum be it an 8 year old kid who is guessing, or a 24 year old maths PhD student.

the stubborn students who have not taken maths further than GCSE should listen to those who have A-level / degree qualifications. but they don't :P
Original post by CameraGirl
bodmas is a child's game. seriously. there would have to be brackets around (48/2) for it to not mulptiply the (9+3).

by the way, the division sign just means fraction. wherever there is a division sign, there is a fraction.

this is why children at schools should not be using the division sign in the first place ever, people who don't go on to take maths seriously further do not understand it's true meaning.

I understand. Very interesting. The division sign does confuse things. But it is different to a fraction. Fraction implies brackets on the top and bottom wheras the division sign does not.
Reply 488
Original post by 419

Can we correlate it with IQ?
Reply 489
Original post by ibysaiyan
Only on TSR

Sadly not. Somewhere in the other thread someone posted links to about 8 other forums where similar numbers of people are having the same ridiculous squabble.

48/2 x (9+3)
Original post by connor ellis
I understand. Very interesting. The division sign does confuse things. But it is different to a fraction. Fraction implies brackets on the top and bottom wheras the division sign does not.

do you have any maths qualifications? just out of interest :smile:
yes it confuses things, but fractions dont have to imply anything. i have seen some nasty nasty fractions i've had to work out, with 7 different letters all with coefficients and some exponentials and some indices, and that's just the numerator.

there are no rules to fractions, but the 2 definitely multiplies what's in the brackets. there would HAVE to be brackets elsewhere for it to mean something else. i don't know how to stress it any more haha. i am currently revising maths for my second year undergraduate masters degree maths exam... :'(
Reply 492
Original post by BJack
You've done your multiplication before your division. >_>

B stands for brackets.. <_<
Original post by thegodofgod
However, you could also do:

(48 ÷ 2) x (9 + 3)

= 24 x 12

= 288

No you couldn't, because there aren't any brackets around the 9 and 2.
Reply 494
Original post by py0alb
Can we correlate it with IQ?

Ermmmmmmm.......
I just suggested it so that people like me who joined the thread like 20 page later and cba to go through the rest of the thread can see which of 2 or 288 most people think it is. Is that being too nosy?:confused:
Reply 495
problem being anyone can post on this forum be it an 8 year old kid who is guessing, or a 24 year old maths PhD student.

the stubborn students who have not taken maths further than GCSE should listen to those who have A-level / degree qualifications. but they don't :P

Good point.

Given that there is disagreement amongst A Level and Degree Maths students, I'm not sure why they would do that.

EDIT: Lol, and why have you grouped A Level with Degrees? Just so you can exclude the people with the qualification level below you? You don't have a degree. Why don't you just shut up and listen to those with PhDs in maths?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 497
I say 2.
And here's why...

Had the equation been 48/2 x (9+3) then yes, it'd be 288.
Had the equation been (9+3) x 48/2, then yes, it'd be 288.
Had the equation been 48 x (9+3) / 2, then yes, it'd be 288.
Had the equation been (48/2)(9+3), then yes, it'd be 288.

However...
The equation is 48/2(9+3) - the lack of an 'x' between the '2' and the '(9+3)' says (to me, anyway) that the '(9+3)' is associated with the 2, and therefore 48/(2(9+3)) is implied, instead of (48/2)/(9+3) being implied, giving the answer of 2.

It seems important to note that, while you do work from left to right, the '(9+3)' lies with the '2', and so is multiplied by it. Other than the left to right rule, which I have just explained why it is disregarded in this circumstance, there is nothing to say that the '(9+3)' lies on the top of the fraction and is therefore multiplied by 48.

All of this, is my interpretation and opinion on the matter, I am not claiming that everyone who answers 288 isn't understanding the question, or even that they are wrong. This is just how I see it.

None of this escapes the fact it's a badly presented equation.
Reply 498
Its:
48 ÷ 2 x (9 + 3)
=48 ÷ 2 x 12
=24 x 12
=288

Not:
48 ÷ (2 x (9 + 3))
=48 ÷ (2 x 12)
=48 ÷ 24
=2
I think the more interesting test would be correlation between IQ (or maths level: GCSE/A-level/degree/post-grad) and those who think the answer is "obvious", (which ever answer that is).

Latest