The Student Room Group

UNRELIABLE EDEXCEL MARKERS - My remark went up by 10 MARKS

I had my AS Unit 1 Edexcel Economics remarked, and it went up by 10 marks!

Obviously I'm happy but I think it's disgusting that an examiner can get it so terribly wrong. Other people could be walking around and applying for university with results that don't actually mirror their true potential.

Anyone faced similar situations?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
that sounds pretty disgusting. Your marker was probably having a hang over
Reply 2
Last year everyone In my sixth form's History class underperformed massively in their exams, so they were all sent back. Everybody's grade improved, and some of them went from E's to B's.

Seriously.
Reply 3
Hmmm, maybe i should have invested in a remark.
Yeah it is a complete disgrace that examining bodies make mistakes like that, these sort of things determine if they make their place at university so there are huge consequences if they get it wrong.

In the end even 1 UMS mark can mean a great deal for those who marginally miss out on their offers. It's worrying.
Reply 5
Original post by GreenDiff

Obviously I'm happy but I think it's disgusting that an examiner can get it so terribly wrong. Other people could be walking around and applying for university with results that don't actually mirror their true potential.

The impression I get from most teachers at my school is that edexcel are not a good exam board-the only subject our school uses them for is maths and you can't really make mistakes marking that.

My french teacher told me they switched to WJEC from Edexcel because the examiner who came to do the oral made some of the candidates cry he was so awful.
i have a friend where they forgot to mark the last (and largest) question on the paper resulting in him getting a C instead of an A. i don't know why they don't have a 2nd marker to make sure that they both agree on the marking.
Reply 7
I really felt I had done better than the mark I originally got, and this proved that. I'd urge anyone who has taken an Edexcel paper and underperformed to get a remark. Obviously their markers are incapable
Reply 8
Original post by Jtking3000
i have a friend where they forgot to mark the last (and largest) question on the paper resulting in him getting a C instead of an A. i don't know why they don't have a 2nd marker to make sure that they both agree on the marking.

They should have a second marker to assess the inter-rater reliability. Totally agree.
Reply 9
Same with AQA English Lit at my school. Especially with subjects such as Eng Lit or history, where it's sort of subjective. With more scientific subjects you're usually either right or wrong.
There were people in my English group who's remark got them 18 extra marks.
Edexcel lost half the Economics papers for people doing their January module (everyone who asked for extra paper). They were awful about it, everyone got marked as getting 0UMS and didn't even tell the school before results day when like 20 people had 0UMS. Still haven't sorted the problem :/.
Reply 12
Original post by Magical.Malteaser
Edexcel lost half the Economics papers for people doing their January module (everyone who asked for extra paper). They were awful about it, everyone got marked as getting 0UMS and didn't even tell the school before results day when like 20 people had 0UMS. Still haven't sorted the problem :/.

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

They "lost" the exam papers? What did they do, leave it to burn in a fireplace or something? That's so irresponsible of them!
Reply 13
Original post by Liam_G
Last year everyone In my sixth form's History class underperformed massively in their exams, so they were all sent back. Everybody's grade improved, and some of them went from E's to B's.

Seriously.

This actually happened to my History teacher too, funnily enough.

By the way, your sig made me laugh. :tongue:
Yes, it can be very bad. On the other hand in a way for some subjects, which uses judgement to mark, you are going to get very varied marks on it, and so in a sense it's not wrong as it's inevitable, some people are going to naturally be more lenient or think you're work is better then another person would.
It was in the guardian that AQA had found UNMARKED PAPERS that the students who did those papers had already been given their grades for them. wtf.

Also in my chemistry GCSE i was 1 mark off an a* and my teacher sent it off and it came back with an extra SIX marks.... i mean seriously its a ****ing science paper how can the original marker have missed out 6 marks. bastard.

also a lad last year had his paper recalled in biology and him and the head of bio went through the recalled paper with the official mark scheme and found 10 marks that they hadnt given him which btw when you're on the edexcel exam board meant that he wouldve went up THREE GRADE BOUNDARIES if he had've been given them :O

Though, tbh, i could never be an exam marker 'cus i'd either be too harsh or too liberal. hell i'd probably give people an extra mark if they drew something funny on the paper. hehe.
Original post by asparkyn
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

They "lost" the exam papers? What did they do, leave it to burn in a fireplace or something? That's so irresponsible of them!

We don't know, lol. They were recorded as having been delivered to the place where they were marking (signed delivery) as it was the place where the papers with extra sheets of paper go to be marked (as they're marked by hand, not scanned in because for some weird reason they can't be scanned o.O) and then since then, we have no idea - and that was in like February or something as they're delivered fairly quickly. Edexcel have been completely awful in the matter, the school didn't know until the day, the school and loads of parents have been trying to contact Edexcel and we still don't know what's going to happen. It's really freaking out the girls in my year who's Uni places rely on it though, as they don't know whether they'll have to retake or if they'll be given a grade or not. Stupid Edexcel :s-smilie:. /rant
Original post by GreenDiff

i think exams as a whole dont mirror a persons potential, your either good at reading books or your not but gratz on the up marks.
I sent my OCR psychology A2 exam back for a remark and it went up by 23 marks. 23! It stopped me from going to uni that year, I wasn't very happy...
Reply 19
Thank goodness I'm only doing Maths with Edexcel . . . unless they manage to get that incredibly wrong as well!

Quick Reply

Latest