The Student Room Group

Is anyone here NOT planning on doing a typical 9-5 job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Left Hand Drive
Thats the pla but we'll see what happens. I currently work normally 5am-2pm

I know the hours are similar to 9-5 but the fact you finish at 2pm makes it sound like a great job :p:

Where do you work out of curiosity?
Original post by IceWater
I know the hours are similar to 9-5 but the fact you finish at 2pm makes it sound like a great job :p:

Where do you work out of curiosity?

Glasgow fish market. Its not great Im getting out as soon as I can. Its cold with alot of heavy lifting. The guys there are a great laugh though so its no bad in a way. Yeah I do like finshing with the whole day ahead of me
I want to join sis :borat:.

I actually still don't really know what I want to do, I might stay on at uni and try and do a phd or maybe try and join the royal marines as an officer (or army). I'm really into politics, so maybe I might try and find a career in politics. Although I'll most likely do something to do with the degree I'll have gained (engineering). To be honest though I'm not really bothered if it is 9-5 or not, as long as i enjoy what i do.
(edited 13 years ago)
I am hoping I won't, but you never know with Archaeology it's always so hard to find archeology jobs!

Pro athlete? :o:

No I just don't want to spend all day working... :biggrin:
If i got stuck in a 9-5 for the rest of my life i would go insane! :woo:
Reply 146
Original post by opinionscount66
Exactly what I do now....but I am also a student on top of that.

Envy.

That must be insane, I'll be pm-ing you for tips!
I plan on ruling the world which would require 24/7 attention.
Original post by jontylol
I plan on ruling the world which would require 24/7 attention.

Not if you do it properly.
Original post by SteveCrain
My name is Steve. I want to work a 9-5 and earn a decent salary with which I can buy a car and support a family, eventually. Frankly I think anyone who doesn't want to work a 9-5 is an idiot and is throwing away a comfortable life.

Anyone who wants to work 9-5 to have a comfortable life is throwing away their life.
Reply 150
I wan't a 10.30 - 6.30 job if I need to have a traditional job. Ideally I hope to be an entrepreneur.
Original post by History-Student
Not if you do it properly.

Yes it will, as there will always be little ****s like you running round causing problems :h:
An actress and film director who is also a writer, comic book illustrator and rock star. :biggrin:
Reply 153
I want to be a doctor. Yes, I am asian :tongue:
Reply 154
I don't understand why anyone would want to work 9-5. How do you do anything?! Doctors, banks, shopping... Even things like waiting for a parcel or having the gas meter read. I like working Saturdays because it gives me a day off in the week to do what I want.
Original post by jontylol
Yes it will, as there will always be little ****s like you running round causing problems :h:

I assume you'll be taking the oft used & rarely successful Evil-Overlord route to world domination then?

I applaud your acceptance of the responsibility involved (unlike many who think simple fear will keep people in line), but you're going about it the wrong way. E-O is for glory hunters & masochists only.
Reply 156
Original post by wactm
**** YES

JOB, that word is horrid.

I want to start my own business and ultimately because of taking that risk I will end up way more succesful than anyone working 9-5. I am 17 and earn more than most graduates doing 1 or 2 10 minute pitches a week to local small businesses and paying some guy in india £6 a day to do all the work.

Once I have my degree I'm moving to the states and living the American Dream. I'm going to start my digital advertising and media empire, sell it after 8 years and retire by 30 a multi-millionaire.

**** what society wants from me. **** conforming. I want to work my ass off for a fraction of my life so the rest of it can be spent relaxing and pursueing my hobbies.

There are 2 types of people in my opinion. Bosses and Employees. Winners and Losers.

I hope I'm there when your bubble bursts...:colone:
Wow nice, a pro-athlete!

I will be one day. :wink:

I genuinely think in the world, pro-athletes have it by far the best. They work relatively short hours a day (apart from competition days / match days, where it's hardly work) and get decent money if they're good enough. And best of all you're doing something which you'd do in your spare time!

Agreed! :yep: I'll have most of the time off, though that will be filled with training and practice. :tongue:
It'll be hard to compete against the best bikers in the World, but it'll be the fun of it that makes it a good job for me. :colondollar:

And they're adored by loads and get plenty of females :wink: Perfect job in my opinion, you agree? How often do you have to train?

Meh. :wink: Haha!

But yeah, fully agree! :biggrin:

And I train for about 2-3 hours a day on weekdays, and weekends are just all day shreds along the trail. Just doing it again, and again, and again, and again. :tongue: :colondollar:
Reply 158
Original post by DH-Biker
I will be one day. :wink:

Agreed! :yep: I'll have most of the time off, though that will be filled with training and practice. :tongue:
It'll be hard to compete against the best bikers in the World, but it'll be the fun of it that makes it a good job for me. :colondollar:

Meh. :wink: Haha!

But yeah, fully agree! :biggrin:

And I train for about 2-3 hours a day on weekdays, and weekends are just all day shreds along the trail. Just doing it again, and again, and again, and again. :tongue: :colondollar:

Nice! Out of curiosity, do you go to university / do you have any other jobs on top of biking?

When you're not biking what do you do in your spare time? When I start working, I imagine my free time will be taken up mainly by sport / athletic. But seeing as doing your sport IS going to be your job, what sort of stuff do you do in your spare time?
Nice! Out of curiosity, do you go to university / do you have any other jobs on top of biking?

When you're not biking what do you do in your spare time? When I start working, I imagine my free time will be taken up mainly by sport / athletic. But seeing as doing your sport IS going to be your job, what sort of stuff do you do in your spare time?

At the moment, I just train and get money via sponsorship contracts.

But no, not at University, but I am in Upper-Sixth Form, so that keeps me partially occupied.

I do Lifeguarding here and there, and from May I'll be head Lifeguard at the pool in the village, which will net me mounds of cash for a three month to a year volunteering trip to Africa, and then to Canada. :wink: Which is where the best biking is.

But yeah, I do odd jobs around, and it keeps me going. I just do bits here and there, you know? Mechanic, lifeguard, waiting on, washing up, teaching people to ride, etc etc. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending