The Student Room Group

Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner career - family friendly?

I'm seriously considering applying for a trainee PWP role in the NHS. However, I'd like to hear from anyone who is either currently training/ is a qualified PWP.
I'm a mum of a little one so want to know how flexible or family friendly, the PWP career is.

I already have a Psychology degree and have always been interested in working in the mental health field. Now that mental health services are expanding, I'm seeing more trainee posts locally but want to get a more realistic view of PWP as a career.

What is the training like? Is the workload manageable around a young family? What are progression opportunities/job satisfaction like for qualified PWPs?
My friend has just started as a trainee PWP so I have some understanding of the role at least.

She works the typical Monday to Friday, 9-5, working from her base 2/3 days a week and attending university the other 2/3. The qualification is a year long and currently Band 4, with movement up to Band 5 on qualification. From what she's said, it's very intense workload-wise and you're expected to hit the ground running from the get-go, but she's enjoying the course a lot and finds it very rewarding. Assessment wise you're looking at exams, written coursework and a lot of role plays.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending