The Student Room Group
There have been a few changes in the two groups, so you can't rule it out, although these have generally been with unis that have at one time or another had membership of both organisations.

As all these organisations are just lobby groups for institutions with similar interests then unless institutions start to change their focus then it is unlikely membership is going to change significantly. Durham and St Andrews are in 1994 precisely because it is a group that lobbies for universities like them rather than universities like those in the Russell Group. I think it's highly unlikely that it would be in either Durham or St Andrews' interests to leave the 1994 group and join the Russell Group.
I can see Queen Mary's University of London (QMUL) joining.
Reply 3
Original post by ChemistBoy
Durham and St Andrews are in 1994 precisely because it is a group that lobbies for universities like them rather than universities like those in the Russell Group. I think it's highly unlikely that it would be in either Durham or St Andrews' interests to leave the 1994 group and join the Russell Group.

:ditto: The Russell Group is a lobbying group of large, research intensive universities. The 1994 Group is a similar lobbying group of medium size universities/those not as large as RG members. St Andrews and Durham are medium size universities and therefore the 1994 Group serves their interests best.

Whilst change is possible I'm certainly not going to sit and tear the 1994 Group apart, selecting which are "more deserving" of being in the Russell Group and are therefore most likely to change. It don't rightly work like that.
Reply 4
guys can we have a russell group sticky? This is like the fifth thread in a week. It would save River from having to make his excellent 'russell group isn't the be all and end all' speech in every one of these threads.
Original post by Aeschylus
guys can we have a russell group sticky? This is like the fifth thread in a week. It would save River from having to make his excellent 'russell group isn't the be all and end all' speech in every one of these threads.

Absolutely. It's the lack of understanding of what the Russell Group is that is the most annoying thing.
Reply 6
Original post by Aeschylus

Well, I don't think we can have a "Russell Group" sticky. But I am considering creating a "Choosing a University" sticky with some form of FAQ type section and I'll include it there.

I just don't see this assumption that universities aspire to join the Russell Group. I know the OP isn't saying this or intends to suggest this is the case but it is what some think. The 1994 Group universities are probably quite content not to be in the Russell Group. I know Durham are. The 1994 Group serves their interests so why change?

Absolutely. It's the lack of understanding of what the Russell Group is that is the most annoying thing.

www.hubpages.com/hub/The-Russell-Group-of-Universities-in-the-UK

If you are thinking of applying to university in the UK then you may be wondering which are the best universities and which ones will give you the best job prospects once you leave university. Well the top 20 universities in the UK have very kindly joined forces in a 'club' which they call the Russell Group of universities.

Had me tearing my hair out this morning. But that's the Internet for you. Any old tit can write an article, read by thousands of people, and portray himself or herself as an expert (including me :p: )
Original post by River85

Had me tearing my hair out this morning. But that's the Internet for you. Any old tit can write an article, read by thousands of people, and portray himself or herself as an expert (including me :p: )

The media are at fault as per usual. I find it a great shame that we live in an age when the flow of information has never been higher yet journalistic integrity has never been lower. I don't care about Joe Blogs (literally) and their random internet articles. They are informed by the mainstream 'reputable' media for the most part. 'The BBC says the RG are the UK's top universities so it must be true' - sort of thing. I find myself getting increasingly angry with lazy journalism and misinformation passing for fact. I used to think it was just science and journalists lack of understanding of it, but its everywhere all of the time. Journalists know nothing about anything and feel that that gives them the right to write about it.
Reply 8
The media are at fault as per usual. I find it a great shame that we live in an age when the flow of information has never been higher yet journalistic integrity has never been lower. I don't care about Joe Blogs (literally) and their random internet articles. They are informed by the mainstream 'reputable' media for the most part. 'The BBC says the RG are the UK's top universities so it must be true' - sort of thing. I find myself getting increasingly angry with lazy journalism and misinformation passing for fact. I used to think it was just science and journalists lack of understanding of it, but its everywhere all of the time. Journalists know nothing about anything and feel that that gives them the right to write about it.

I agree and it is just lazy journalism (both the promotion of the Russell Group as the "best" and that, when attempting to name Russell Group universities, they often include certain 94 Group universities). I first came across this a month or so before starting Durham in 2004. A Guardian and Teletext report on proposed fee increases. It mentioned the Russell Group as the best universities and named Durham (alongside Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol and Manchester) as Russell Group universities. It was the first time I came across this and also the first time I ever became aware that, according to some, Durham is a "top" university (I was completely ignorant of its league table positions when applying).

I know the person writing that article is not a professional journalist, and it is the professional journalists who ought to be informed and have professional standards. But, nevertheless, this is still an article being read by thousands (hundreds of thousands) of students who don't know any better either because they are international or because they are quite young and I still find it frustrating.
Original post by Jack McGill
Will any more join?

I can see some of the 1994 Group have more students than some Russell Group universities, perhaps they will join?

I think it is only likely if there was a merger that left some behemoth of a research university in the 1994 Group e.g University of the Home Counties with campuses in Guildford, Colchester, Reading and Falmer
Original post by reptileface
I can see Queen Mary's University of London (QMUL) joining.

Jus' sayin ... I was right.

Latest

Trending

Trending