The Student Room Group

Who are more 'common', Northerners or Southerners?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by noobynoo
Given that the some of the main gay capitals of the UK are in Manchester, Blackpool and Newcastle and highly doubt that.

Yeah obv. north is more 'common' since it has all the commoners who worked in the mining/steel/cotton industries and when they shut down you get generations of unemployed people on the dole.

I tend to find that in the south even people with the lowest jobs such as in sandwich shops are more intelligent than those in the north.

Northerners can just say random words with no meaning to them whatsoever: "aye... luv... wey aye... like...aye...like...luv ....like" but southerners tend to say things which make actual sense: "So what's your opinion on the Libyan situation?"

I have to agree with you. You see as a northerner I must have a diminished intellect as I haven't a clue where lybia is.

=P
Original post by Joinedup
But 'Southener' has 9 letters :confused:

Actually it has ten. You missed an 'r'.
Actually these guys are from St Helens like me, we are definitely more common ...

:wink:
Southerners don't really have accents, they just have the same horrible grating voice.
Northern accents might be more common, but they sound nicer. :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Smelly Ellie
:lolwut:

Ridiculous, and slightly offensive, post. Just because people are poor doesn't make them unintelligent, what a load of rubbish.

they're unintelligent because they're poor and went to rubbish schools. If they were intelligent they would go down south, find a job and be rich. so there! :tongue:
they're unintelligent because they're poor and went to rubbish schools. If they were intelligent they would go down south, find a job and be rich. so there! :tongue:

I'm poor, and I went to a rubbish school. But I'm intelligent.... :s-smilie:

If you're poor you can't afford to just pop down South and get rich? Are you being serious?
Reply 46
I'd rather be 'common' than 'stuck up'
Reply 47
Original post by (:Becca(:
Southerners don't really have accents, they just have the same horrible grating voice.
Northern accents might be more common, but they sound nicer. :smile:

yeah forget French accents. Nothing is more romantic than a geordie:

"Wey aye lass. yor lookin loosh. gannin doon the toon toneet pet? git yor coat [oh I forgot this is Newcastle] yv pulled. aye reet canny man."

....or not.:colondollar:
It depends on where Jeremy Kyle goes hunting for the scum on his show.
Original post by assassin's_creed
It depends on where Jeremy Kyle goes hunting for the scum on his show.

The sad thing is, they ring him.
Reply 50
I'm poor, and I went to a rubbish school. But I'm intelligent.... :s-smilie:

If you're poor you can't afford to just pop down South and get rich? Are you being serious?

Hey, if you can live on the dole in Leeds you can live on the dole in London.

Also, you can apply for jobs in London before you go so you have a job to go to which is what most people do.

Also, if Polish immigrants can find work in London I'm sure it is not that hard for someone from up North who claims to be intelligent.
Historically the north has more of the coal miners and the working class and the south had more industry and business people, but these days its not so clear cut. Since Living in America I have discovered they think anyone whose accent is more like the queens English sounds of a higher class than someone with a more regional accent sounds of a lower class. And they can't even understand most northern accents! So if you want to make a huge over generalization, based on accents alone, the north probably appears more common than the south.
Original post by CB91
The Midlands have shockingly bad accents. :lolwut:

Even with us there are exceptions, I'd say the East Mids is posher than the west (you get Leicester/Nottingham etc that side, whereas where I am in the West you get Birmingham/Wolverhampton/Dudley (where I live near to) and so on), but there are a few of us Westies that don't really have much of an accent.

My boyfriend finds my accent quite amusing and he's a Northerner :smile:

Tbf though, I do find that I can sometimes "go up north" when I speak, without even trying - time spent watching Corrie and Emmerdale has obviously influenced me somewhat.

Also, you can apply for jobs in London before you go so you have a job to go to which is what most people do.

Also, if Polish immigrants can find work in London I'm sure it is not that hard for someone from up North who claims to be intelligent.

Leave your family and your steady job, to hunt for work with no qualifications and no home? Who said everyone is on the dole? My Grandad lost his life down the mine whilst trying to earn enough money to feed his small children and pregnant wife. There is no way he could have just found himself a job in London, yet he was a very intelligent man, and I have a lot of respect for hard-working people, however 'common'.
Reply 54

You can stuff overpriced and polluted London.

Outside the centre and small sections which are shockingly expensive it is an awful place to live.
Original post by RainbowHair
Historically the north has more of the coal miners and the working class and the south had more industry and business people, but these days its not so clear cut. Since Living in America I have discovered they think anyone whose accent is more like the queens English sounds of a higher class than someone with a more regional accent sounds of a lower class. And they can't even understand most northern accents! So if you want to make a huge over generalization, based on accents alone, the north probably appears more common than the south.

In terms of accent, RP is the prestige accent in England. Unlike other accents, it is not linked primarily with geographical factors but socio-economic ones. People who have been educated at public school are likely to have this accent irrespective of where in the country they come from. It just so happens that the speech of many people in the south shares many characteristics of RP whether they've been to public school or not.

There are many accents from the south which are 'closer' to RP than accents from Yorkshire etc., such as Estuary English, due to their having the bath/trap and foot/strut splits. I think that's the main reason for the prevailing opinion among northerners that southerners sound like posh dicks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 56
Leave your family and your steady job, to hunt for work with no qualifications and no home? Who said everyone is on the dole? My Grandad lost his life down the mine whilst trying to earn enough money to feed his small children and pregnant wife. There is no way he could have just found himself a job in London, yet he was a very intelligent man, and I have a lot of respect for hard-working people, however 'common'.

Excuses... Excuses...

Leave your family? (Polish immigrants do this all the time and send money home. You can always travel back North on the weekends. Also why not take your family along with you if you? How many people these days work in the same city as their parents. Not many [middle class] people.)

No qualifications? (Get some then. If you're intelligent you can get A-levels in school or night school or college.)

There is no reason why someone intelligent from the North can't get a good job in London.
Reply 57
Stereotypically, the North, but Living down south, I can say, it's pretty much a crap whole. No offence, or anything...
Reply 58
Does it matter?
Excuses... Excuses...

Leave your family? (Polish immigrants do this all the time and send money home. You can always travel back North on the weekends. Also why not take your family along with you if you? How many people these days work in the same city as their parents. Not many [middle class] people.)

No qualifications? (Get some then. If you're intelligent you can get A-levels in school or night school or college.)

There is no reason why someone intelligent from the North can't get a good job in London.

Or stay with your family and friends and in a place you love up North :smile:

Id much rather stay in the North than go and live down South. Its nothing to do with intelligence, I just love the North. Living in London isnt something many people want to do tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest