The Student Room Group

Accent confusion

Personally, I've got a slight County Durham accent ... nobody born after about 1975 has a particularly strong accent here anymore ... so my accent I would think is fairly easy to understand.
That said, I guess it does sound a little exotic to people who aren't used to hearing it, so I think people make a lot of assumptions about my way of speaking. So far I've been confused for the following:

- Welsh (all the time)
-- in addition, someone in North Wales once thought I was from South Wales
- Scottish (usually by Americans)
- French
- American
- Canadian
- from 'the (American) South' (in Massachusetts)
- from Liverpool

One time I overheard this loud-mouthed bloke chatting trash at a bar in Edinburgh. After hearing his accent, I concluded he was from Lancashire or somewhere. Turned out he was actually from Georgia in the United States.
Reply 1
As a foreigner I can't tell all the kinds of British accents, for me they are all just British accents
Original post by SlashBandicoot
Personally, I've got a slight County Durham accent ... nobody born after about 1975 has a particularly strong accent here anymore ... so my accent I would think is fairly easy to understand.
That said, I guess it does sound a little exotic to people who aren't used to hearing it, so I think people make a lot of assumptions about my way of speaking. So far I've been confused for the following:
- Welsh (all the time)
-- in addition, someone in North Wales once thought I was from South Wales
- Scottish (usually by Americans)
- French
- American
- Canadian
- from 'the (American) South' (in Massachusetts)
- from Liverpool
One time I overheard this loud-mouthed bloke chatting trash at a bar in Edinburgh. After hearing his accent, I concluded he was from Lancashire or somewhere. Turned out he was actually from Georgia in the United States.

I'm from Leeds & I've had my accent mistaken for Scottish a few times when I've been in the US. I wonder if it's because their stereotypical idea of an 'English accent' is based more on southern accents so maybe to Americans northern accents sound closer to Scottish ones.

Quick Reply

Latest