The Student Room Group

Boy born with extra strand of DNA.

Scroll to see replies

My brother has an extra 2 heads of the 9th chromosome, Tetrasomy 9p. Some things that it said in that article match up with my brothers development such as he couldn't sit up or roll over for a long time, do normal things that 'normal' children would do at his actual age. It's quite a hard thing to cope with and I wish lil' alfie the best :smile:
Original post by noobynoo
The Aspergers mutation(s) gives people remarkable skills especially in things like computers.

A) Still debatable that Aspergers or any AS disorder is genetically based.
B) Savants are very rare; most people with Aspergers don't have any more 'remarkable gifts' than people without it. You don't have to have Aspergers to be a savant.
Original post by digistar_100
Lol this only goes to further proove that evolution is false not the other way round. Any genetic addition/subs or removal ends in harmful side effects. Why dont you see any of these ''mutants'' with beneficial alterations?

You aren't that stupid are you?
Please tell me you aren't that stupid!
Reply 23
Original post by TheSownRose

A) Still debatable that Aspergers or any AS disorder is genetically based.
B) Savants are very rare; most people with Aspergers don't have any more 'remarkable gifts' than people without it. You don't have to have Aspergers to be a savant.

I would be extremely surprised if Aspergers wasn't genetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Causes
Original post by munn
our first x-man?
i wonder what superpower he'll develop

:biggrin: I was thinking this as well. He will be the first super human, mark my words.
Original post by und
I would be extremely surprised if Aspergers wasn't genetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Causes

I'd be surprised - it runs in families (although, consider: if you had an autistic parent and were a developing child, is it not likely you will pick up some of the traits without actually being autistic yourself?) and it related to things like Martin-Bell syndrome which definitely are - but they have yet to actually find the genes that do it.
Interesting. I'd love to know how it happened exactly. Some sort of freak occurrence in DNA replication?
Reply 27
Interesting, i hope he does well must be hard for his family
I got to be honest, the X-men theme tune did begin to play in my head. On a serious note, I really hope he lives a full and healthy life.
Reply 29
What do they mean by "extra strand"? Do they mean this boy has triple stranded DNA instead of double stranded or do they mean that one of his chromosomes has three chromatids or do they mean he has an extra chromatid on its own without a sister chromatid?

Original post by IFondledAGibbon
Interesting. I'd love to know how it happened exactly. Some sort of freak occurrence in DNA replication?

I would think that it is caused by some kind of non-disjunction (where the chromosomes don't separate properly) during meiosis. This is the cause of most other chromosomal disorders so I would guess that something similar has happened here.
Original post by redrose_ftw
My brother has an extra 2 heads :smile:

this is a much more interesting story than OP's...
Original post by munn
our first x-man?
i wonder what superpower he'll develop

My thoughts exactly, he might well be Professor Charles Xavier... :biggrin:
A) Still debatable that Aspergers or any AS disorder is genetically based.B) Savants are very rare; most people with Aspergers don't have any more 'remarkable gifts' than people without it. You don't have to have Aspergers to be a savant.

I think it's widely regarded that there is a genetic component to autism, it's just that its extremely complex and there are other environmental risk factors to take into account. It's the same with the likes of schizophrenia, a couple of decades ago, almost everyone thought it was a disorder caused by environmental factors. Now, however, its universally regarded that schizophrenia is a disorder which arises from many genetic and environmental risk factors.

EDIT: Actually, probably the most famous genetic discovery in schizophrenia ever (DISC1 gene) has also been implicated as having a genetic link to autism.

There are thousands of complex disorders (multi gene and/or the addition of environmental factors), the exact causes of which we know hardly anything about, and autism is probably one of them.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd be surprised - it runs in families (although, consider: if you had an autistic parent and were a developing child, is it not likely you will pick up some of the traits without actually being autistic yourself?) and it related to things like Martin-Bell syndrome which definitely are - but they have yet to actually find the genes that do it.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just finding the genes that 'do it'. There could be hundreds of point mutations thoughout the genome that could be a risk factor for such a disorder. The hardest part is quantifying the relative risk or any particular 'risk' allele. The relative risk can also change depending on which other 'risk' allele(s) it is/are inherited alongside.

Then there's the environmental factors which can be almost impossible to quantify.

We'll probably be able to cure single gene disorders like cystic fibrosis before we even comprehensively know the ins and outs of the causative factors of diseases such as autism.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by digistar_100
Lol this only goes to further proove that evolution is false not the other way round. Any genetic addition/subs or removal ends in harmful side effects. Why dont you see any of these ''mutants'' with beneficial alterations?

You know how some human offspring are just naturally faster runners than their parents? Or naturally more orally skilled? Or have naturally faster reactions? Since all physiology is grounded in genetics, it stands to reason that the superior abilities of such offspring are the result of genetic mutations. Thus, mutations with beneficial effects are common.
I was always under the impression that having extra DNA would make you some sort of superhero, but clearly that's not the case, just makes you severely disabled.
what you on about?

The sickle-cell mutation protects against malaria.
The ginger hair mutation allows people to produce for vitamin D in cold climates.
The pigme mutation allows pigme indians to traverse jungles better.
The white skin mutation(s) allows people to survive in polar regions.
There are mutations which allow gurkhas to survive in high altitudes.
There lactose producing mutation allows Europeans to digest cows milk.
The Aspergers mutation(s) gives people remarkable skills especially in things like computers.

Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of mutations which separated our lineage from the apes.

Amazing! +rep
& I Quoted so I can come back to it easily when I need to. :ninja:
Reply 37
Kill it before it grows more arms, legs and an extra head and comes for us
what you on about?

The sickle-cell mutation protects against malaria.
The ginger hair mutation allows people to produce for vitamin D in cold climates.
The pigme mutation allows pigme indians to traverse jungles better.
The white skin mutation(s) allows people to survive in polar regions.
There are mutations which allow gurkhas to survive in high altitudes.
There lactose producing mutation allows Europeans to digest cows milk.

Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of mutations which separated our lineage from the apes.

I have a genetic disorder/mutation called Brachydactyly Type D or clubbed thumbs. So far I have not found them to be advantageous in any way like the ones you have mentioned (If anything they hinder my ability to do certain things - I can't click my fingers, texting and pressing small buttons with my thumbs can be difficult). Although you are very right with the one's you have mentioned.
Reply 39
Yeah. Couldn't roll over for 18 months, but he might have superpowers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending