The Student Room Group

Durham or Imperial?

Just wanting an opinion because I have an offer for biology from both, but not sure which one to firm :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I really like Imperial but I must say I was disappointed by the life sciences department from what I saw and the Biology students I met weren't very enthusiastic about their course. I'd still pick them though, it's got more brand recognition, you'd have a blast in London, and you'll find it very easy to pull given the disproportionate number of guys lol.
I'd say the main factor should be what sort of place you want to study in - a HUGE city or a small historical one. I do some Biology at Durham and generally quite like the department...it's not as good as the chemistry department admittedly and if you're applying for 2011 as opposed to 2012 entry (when they're completely restructuring the course) you don't get much choice in the modules you take. Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try and help :smile:
Reply 3
Which city do you prefer? if you go to durham for biology you will most likely spend most of your time study just out side of durham. With imperial you will be in a lively big city. depends what you prefer.
Did you visit both and which one did you imagine your self at?feeling can usually tell you a lot about the "right place for you"
Does the league table position of the uni matter or which on is better at biology? In this case the league table show imperial at 6 and Durham at 22. From my understanding also, imperial have better research.

ultimately its about where you want to go. Dont go coz others said it would be good/better... do you think it will be?
Original post by anon2010
Which city do you prefer? if you go to durham for biology you will most likely spend most of your time study just out side of durham. With imperial you will be in a lively big city. depends what you prefer.

Bold bit; what exactly do you mean? I'm a Durham student and I only ever really leave Durham for society trips and the odd trip to Newcastle or something...and all the students I know definitely LIVE in Durham...
Reply 5
Original post by purple-girl
Bold bit; what exactly do you mean? I'm a Durham student and I only ever really leave Durham for society trips and the odd trip to Newcastle or something...and all the students I know definitely LIVE in Durham...

I though life science student were based at queen campus in Stockton?
I though life science student were based at queen campus in Stockton?

Ahhh nope, Biomed's based there (that's moving to Durham for 2012 entry too) but biology's based in Durham.
Reply 7
Original post by purple-girl
Ahhh nope, Biomed's based there (that's moving to Durham for 2012 entry too) but biology's based in Durham.

Ah ok. Sorry about that my mistake. :redface:
Ah ok. Sorry about that my mistake. :redface:

Don't worry about it, easy mistake to make!
Reply 9
Ultimately it's your decision, no one here can make it for you. Try and visit both within a short time span.
Original post by Kathryn-
Just wanting an opinion because I have an offer for biology from both, but not sure which one to firm :smile:

if you have any interest in plant sciences i would go for durham. Imperial is a better university but recently they've basically shut down the plant sciences department. The options for final year for people starting this year will be completely different from what I've done - basically none of the courses i've chosen, like animal behaviour, will be available anymore. they've fired a lot of people on the grounds that their research doesn't bring in enough money, while ignoring that they teach a huge amount.
Original post by Kathryn-

Both have excellent reputation and strong departments, a post claimed that Durham was ranked 22nd (for Bio or overall i am not sure), but the recent Complete guide stated Durham to be top 5 in Bio and Nationally, so the point is that it fluctuates all the time.

Imperial is a top university, no doubt and both will provide excellent career opportunities, especially outside the scope of Biology.

Both Universities are going through major changes in their departments, I believe a large part of the Plant science in Imperial is being cut, while the entire degree is being restructured in Durham, but for the BETTER! They are combining the biomed and biology courses, giving far more choice, and I can only wish I had the chance to do that instead! If your are coming in at 2011 it will still effect you in the later years.

Good thing about Durham is that you always have the option of going into Natural Sciences if you feel that Biology or pure biology is not for you, or if you are interested in other subjects like Economics, Chemistry, Antropology, Geography, Business...the list goes on.

The experience in the two universities is completely different, the College feel at Durham is great, it is very personal while Imperial it may feel a little 'every man for himself' with weaker pastoral care, BUT it is London so far superior (but expensive) night scene, activities and more diverse population with other major universities mingling around. If you have a keen eye on Banking in the future ( as most biologist don't go into biology when they graduate), it may give you edge too in the future although I know people who have got into IB in Durham, as well as the Big 4 including myself and my friends.

Its a tough choice, I believe in the next 3 years they are going to raise the offer for Durham Biology and all sciences to 3 As by the way =), no doubt Imperial will if not already, have done this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending