The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by 100
See the hundreds of posts on this topic before but, in short, no, not really.

Its far better than Wancs or any of the other choices put forward
Original post by therealOG
I was talking about the top 6 target uni's for investment banks. Which is what this thread is about.

That is true but as a maths uni it's top 20 I'd say.

I'm still not sure I'd count KCL. Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick. That's 6 already.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
That is true but as a maths uni it's top 20 I'd say.

I'm still not sure I'd count KCL. Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick. That's 6 already.

Yes......that's what I initially said...
Reply 143
Original post by llamalad200
why is manchester there? if they don't take people from sussex and the likes but manchester surely this table ranking is rubbish. sussex is 15th now in the guardian's 2011 table. whilst manchester is 27th i think. flawed system if you ask me.

First of all, don't look at Guardian's table, it's the worst of three (probably because it is too strongly based on satisfaction ). However, I was also wondering how Manchester is mentioned more times than unis like York, Exeter, Southampton, Sussex, Sheffield, Birmingham and such, since it has weaker economics, maths and engineering departments than most of those and is constantly ranked below them overall.
Original post by therealOG
Yes......that's what I initially said...

Oh right. My mistake then.
Original post by kresius
First of all, don't look at Guardian's table, it's the worst of three (probably because it is too strongly based on satisfaction ). However, I was also wondering how Manchester is mentioned more times than unis like York, Exeter, Southampton, Sussex, Sheffield, Birmingham and such, since it has weaker economics, maths and engineering departments than most of those and is constantly ranked below them overall.

Manchester is better than most of them for maths. It has a humongous maths department.
Original post by kresius

The Guardian table is a joke. If you are going to use league table use the Times table, at least they try to present a vaguely accurate picture of reality. On the Times table if you rank the unis by entry standards and research quality Manchester is ranked higher than all of those unis mentioned bar York. If banks ever deign to look at league tables in choosing which unis to target they'll mostly look at entry standards and research quality, because those are the best two indicators of the quality of the students.

Manchester gets a considerable number of people into banking because it's a pretty good uni, and it has a huge student body, so the sheer size of it almost forces banks to visit.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ultimate1
I have a choice to make guys:

Maths at UCL

OR

MORSE at Warwick.

The thing is if I go UCL I can live at home, and basically be debt free, but that's not the case with Warwick.

You'd be well placed to get into banking from either, but based on your situation it would be wiser to go to UCL, and it helps to be close to the banks and there are obviously more opportunities career-wise in London than Coventry.
Reply 148
There are only 168 hours in a week. So that's 28 hours to sleep. 4 hours a night not including the obvious travel required. I think you're lying.

Haha, i hope that what i've read/heard is complete bull****; but i read things like this http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-analyst-life-worst-day/ and this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15715336&highlight=so%20y'all%20want%20to%20be%20investment%20bankers

I guess these are the worst days (i hope they're the worst days and not every day), i'd still love to be able to do this if i get into IBD but they're still ridiculous when i compare to jobs like consultancy, corp finance at a big 4 etc. Just imagine this every day for a week if you're rushing to get a big deal done; then you could have to do the same the next week i guess.
Reply 149
Original post by orca92
Haha, i hope that what i've read/heard is complete bull****; but i read things like this http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-analyst-life-worst-day/ and this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15715336&highlight=so%20y'all%20want%20to%20be%20investment%20bankers

I guess these are the worst days (i hope they're the worst days and not every day), i'd still love to be able to do this if i get into IBD but they're still ridiculous when i compare to jobs like consultancy, corp finance at a big 4 etc. Just imagine this every day for a week if you're rushing to get a big deal done; then you could have to do the same the next week i guess.

M&I is a US site so it doesn't reflect the UK too well. See what I posted above but generally 100 hour weeks aren't every week and if you were unlucky enough to do 3-4 in a row you'd probably have a quieter following month.
Reply 150
Manchester is better than most of them for maths. It has a humongous maths department.

Overall rep counts more than non specific subjects.

That's then whole point.

Better change U while you can
so if you do a degree at LSE which is not financial/economics related you dont have a shot at IB either?
Reply 152
Original post by ThePropheticNomad
so if you do a degree at LSE which is not financial/economics related you dont have a shot at IB either?

Absolutely not true
Original post by ThePropheticNomad

Any degree except maybe gender studies will land you interviews. My LSE degree title is extremely obscure and I still managed to interview at several places across the city.
Original post by unknown demon
Any degree except maybe gender studies will land you interviews. My LSE degree title is extremely obscure and I still managed to interview at several places across the city.

What may that degree be?
Original post by Frontier
Absolutely not true

lol so even sociology/social policy/government/history is fine?
What are my chances with an economics degree from the university of York? I also have a contact who works in the securities division at GS.
Reply 157
Original post by Ramin Gorji
What are my chances with an economics degree from the university of York? I also have a contact who works in the securities division at GS.

York isn't G5 or Warwick, or Nottingham so not brilliant. It's always possible but you have to be exceptional. Why risk someone from York when there are enough people from Oxford who could do the job?
Reply 158
I think this thread has confused me. Is a degree in Mathematics from Imperial College London enough to secure an interview at an IB for a Quant Analyst role, along with relevant work experience?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 159
Original post by und
I think this thread has confused me. Is a degree in Mathematics from Imperial College London enough to secure an interview an an IB for a Quant Analyst role, along with relevant work experience?

Yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending