The Student Room Group

Business economics degree

Hi everyone, this is a panic-style post as results day is tomorrow. I am preparing for the situation where I miss both my firm and insurance, and I am looking at a business economics degree to apply through clearing at Cardiff university...

Its ABB, and I did both business and economics as A-Levels.

What I'm asking is, it looks like a relatively interesting degree and involves lots of economics which I enjoyed studying, but does it have decent career options really?

Because really investment bankers, economists will mostly be for the hard Economics BSc students from the top top unis, I mean this is a BSc Econ degree, but still..

Yeah - is there good career opportunity? If so, like what? Any quick replies much appreciated! And I know I should have sorted this ages ago
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi everyone, this is a panic-style post as results day is tomorrow. I am preparing for the situation where I miss both my firm and insurance, and I am looking at a business economics degree to apply through clearing at Cardiff university...

Its ABB, and I did both business and economics as A-Levels.

What I'm asking is, it looks like a relatively interesting degree and involves lots of economics which I enjoyed studying, but does it have decent career options really?

Because really investment bankers, economists will mostly be for the hard Economics BSc students from the top top unis, I mean this is a BSc Econ degree, but still..

Yeah - is there good career opportunity? If so, like what? Any quick replies much appreciated! And I know I should have sorted this ages ago

In terms of career opportunities, I think it's relatively similar to any other degree.

Any economics degree would allow you to become an economist, go into research, teach, or do any job that either asks for any degree or none at all.
Economics isn't one of those degrees where you specifically need the degree in order to go into specific fields e.g. healthcare, architecture, education, etc. You also don't specifically get any preference for jobs over other candidates should you go for jobs that ask for any degrees, just because you have one in economics.

Strictly speaking, you can become an investment banker with a degree in any subject. It's not really the degree that determines whether you get the job (the uni might, but that's dependent on the individual investment bank). For that matter, getting any degree doesn't guarantee you entry into any career.
If you want to work in business, you can either do that with a degree in any subject or go straight in with no qualifications usually.

In terms of what business economics is like: it's more or less economics used in a business context. I don't know what the specifics are with Cardiff's degree, but from the look of things, you would cover the following:

The standard economics modules: macro, micro, econometrics

Options for business modules: law, accounting, management, marketing, financial management

Economic history

A variety of sub-topics for economics, including labour economics, monetary economics, international trade (all business related)

All in all, it seems like a good degree if you're interested in economics and business.
See: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/business-economics-bsc-econ

Personal preference would be to include more finance/investment, mathematical, and data analytics modules. However, it's unnecessary for what you need to study.

Cardiff is also a nice city to live in, although I haven't studied at Cardiff.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by MindMax2000
In terms of career opportunities, I think it's relatively similar to any other degree.

Any economics degree would allow you to become an economist, go into research, teach, or do any job that either asks for any degree or none at all.
Economics isn't one of those degrees where you specifically need the degree in order to go into specific fields e.g. healthcare, architecture, education, etc. You also don't specifically get any preference for jobs over other candidates should you go for jobs that ask for any degrees, just because you have one in economics.

Strictly speaking, you can become an investment banker with a degree in any subject. It's not really the degree that determines whether you get the job. For that matter, getting any degree doesn't guarantee you entry into any career.
If you want to work in business, you can either do that with a degree in any subject or go staight in with no qualifications usually.

In terms of what business economics is like: it's more or less economics used in a business context. I don't know what the specifics are with Cardiff's degree, but from the look of things, you would cover the following:

The standard economics modules: macro, micro, econometrics

Options for business modules: law, accounting, management, marketing, financial management

Economic history

A variety of sub-topics for economics, including labour economics, monetary economics, international trade (all business related)

All in all, it seems like a good degree if you're interested in economics and business.
See: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/business-economics-bsc-econ

Personal preference would be to include more finance/investment, mathematical, and data analytics modules. However, it's unnecessary for what you need to study.

Cardiff is also a nice city to live in, although I haven't studied at Cardiff.

Ok thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending