The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This thread now simply is about people boasting where and how they trade/work.
Original post by Txi
Then why are you replying ?

you are the one that sounds frustrated.

I'm replying because you're trolling one of the few members in this section who works in the industry and gives helpful advice.
Reply 262
Original post by cookiedough101

Original post by cookiedough101
This thread now simply is about people boasting where and how they trade/work.

And that's exactly why we can determine that they're insecure about themselves. Who else goes on TSR to boast about where they work? They're just trying to big themselves up, because they were never able to actualise what many people on this forum strive to achieve.
Reply 264
Oh come on now people, stop being ridiculous. Sure IBs have a notorious reputation of getting people in from the big universities and that's because usually if you have gone to a big uni, you will usually have good intellect, but sadly judging from this thread it seems the oppposite; either people are little wieners in real life but behind an anonymous persona online they like to act like animals or the level of intellect at the big unis is dropping. However if you don't come from a ''target'' uni, but have the credentials to succceed in the financial market with good experience I'm sure you would get in rather than the person with only a ''target'' uni to their name and nothing else.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 265
Original post by Mozzy0712
This! I haven't lost faith in humanity just yet....

Respect, bro.
Reply 266
do you think a good first or 2:1 from Loughborough in economics would be a good starting point for becoming an investment banker?
So am i right in taking this as a general guide, if your not in LSE Oxford Cambridge or Warwick then you will find it difficult to get an internship/ graduate job at an investment bank in FO.
If your in any other uni you could get BO/MO. You will have to try your best by getting a good 1st, EC and using your available contacts to hopefully get your internships.
If you still cannot get an internship after doing all of the above apply for an msc at The LSE ,Oxbridge Warwick and Imperial.
Reply 268
Original post by Ramin Gorji
So am i right in taking this as a general guide, if your not in LSE Oxford Cambridge or Warwick then you will find it difficult to get an internship/ graduate job at an investment bank in FO.
If your in any other uni you could get BO/MO. You will have to try your best by getting a good 1st, EC and using your available contacts to hopefully get your internships.
If you still cannot get an internship after doing all of the above apply for an msc at The LSE ,Oxbridge Warwick and Imperial.

You missed UCL and ICL off your initial list - those are the top 6. You will find it very difficult to get an internship in FO without an outstanding (read: not just very good, but exceptional) application.

Non G5 or Warwick then an MSc will help you out significantly. LSE's are about £25k!
Original post by Ramin Gorji

The vast majority of grads & interns come from the 6 target unis. Of course people break into FO from other unis (mostly the Russell Group unis), but it's usually 1 or 2 compared to 10 to 15 from each of the targets in an average class. If you dont go to a target uni, you will just have to work that little bit harder to make it. So that means excelling academically, trying to get some relevant work experience and getting involved in a wide range of ECs that demonstrate the banks' core competencies.

An important point to understand is that, the people from target unis who break in dont get offers just because they go to a target uni, but because they go to a target uni and they've done something to differentiate themselves from the crowd. If I use my intern class at Goldman as an example, there was one person who was a national swimming champion, there was one person who had started up their own business at the age of 14, there was one person who had won numerous awards for volunteering and charity work, etc. There are tons of people at target unis with just great academics who apply and get straight rejections.

The university bias is far more lax for MO and BO, but if you want to maximise your chances the same principle applies - differentiate yourself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zweihander
The vast majority of grads & interns come from the 6 target unis. Of course people break into FO from other unis (mostly the Russell Group unis), but it's usually 1 or 2 compared to 10 to 15 from each of the targets in an average class. If you dont go to a target uni, you will just have to work that little bit harder to make it. So that means excelling academically, trying to get some relevant work experience and getting involved in a wide range of ECs that demonstrate the banks' core competencies.

An important point to understand is that, the people from target unis who break in dont get offers just because they go to a target uni, but because they go to a target uni and they've done something to differentiate themselves from the crowd. If I use my intern class at Goldman as an example, there was one person who was a national swimming champion, there was one person who had started up their own business at the age of 14, there was one person who had won numerous awards for volunteering and charity work, etc. There are tons of people at target unis with just great academics who apply and get straight rejections.

The university bias is far more lax for MO and BO, but if you want to maximise your chances the same principle applies - differentiate yourself.

So what did you do to differentiate yourself apart form repeating your a levels, jk.

but really how did you do it?
Reply 271
Original post by i_hate_teeth
So what did you do to differentiate yourself apart form repeating your a levels, jk.

but really how did you do it?

President of a Society

International standard athlete

Start own business with decent turnover

Significant charity fundraising - e.g. not your local half marathon

etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Zweihander did all that? If he's an intl. standard athelete then why did he have trouble getting girls at GS?
Reply 273
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Zweihander did all that? If he's an intl. standard athelete then why did he have trouble getting girls at GS?

No! Those are examples of what you could do to stand out.
(edited 13 years ago)
I can't be asked reading all the posts from everyone but I do totally agree about the fact that you need to differentiate yourself to break into the industry.

However one important element which imo really matters is 'luck'. Some of the most prominent people in Finance failed repeatedly to land their dream jobs but eventually rose to the very top with hard work and as mentioned before -- LUCK!

This really needs to be updated.......Lehman as top 7 lol :P

What would you say is the top 7 IBs for FO now?
Reply 276
I spoke to an investment banker at goldman sachs who graduated from brunel a few years ago
I have a close friend who's an investment banker; he graduated from Sussex with a 2:2 in computer science. He's around 26 now and has a 6 figure salary. He knew people though. :wink:
I've posted similar accounts in this section, people don't want to hear it.
The 2 posts above clearly show the 'LUCK' element I mentioned earlier. I'm sure the people you've mentioned must have been clever but if they actually sat on TSR reading a thread like this where people just discourage everyone - they would've lost all hope.

Latest

Trending

Trending