The Student Room Group

The Sutton Trust Summer School

Has anyone heard back from them yet?
Nope, you?
Reply 2
Original post by Wick3d
Nope, you?

Not yet, no! What subject course did you apply for?
Original post by flume
Not yet, no! What subject course did you apply for?

Medicine at Cambridge which I regret doing now.
Reply 4
Original post by Wick3d

Oh no, why's that?
I applied for PPS but I should've applied for Arch&Anth, do you know when we'll hear back?
Reply 5
Original post by Wick3d

Aaah. Why? I did it last year and it was a really great week despite the rain. They don't seem to reply until quite late as I was convinced I hadn't got in because of how long it took.
Reply 6
Original post by bino756
Aaah. Why? I did it last year and it was a really great week despite the rain. They don't seem to reply until quite late as I was convinced I hadn't got in because of how long it took.

What were your GCSEs, may I ask?
I don't think I have much chance, my school is in a very middle class area and their A Level and GCSE results are above average. My GCSEs are good but I'm worried that they're not of Oxbridge standard, are they looking for people with 10A*s+?
Original post by bino756

I've changed my mind, I don't want to do medicine. I've done quite a bit of work experience and realised it ain't for me.
Good luck guys! It's a brilliant week :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by flume
I don't think I have much chance, my school is in a very middle class area and their A Level and GCSE results are above average. My GCSEs are good but I'm worried that they're not of Oxbridge standard, are they looking for people with 10A*s+?

You have 7 A*s, which is more than the average student here has. If it's any consolation, I only have 2 A*s at GCSE. Whoever told you you need 10+ A*s is either lying or is very misled.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by flume

I had 9 A*s but I don't know what other people had. My school wasn't too great with only 30-something % of people getting 5A*s - C
Original post by flume

Isn't the general 'standard' for Oxbridge at least 5A*s? I say 'standard' cos I understand people get in with less and more. Everyone has a chance! Last year, me and my friend from the same school both got in to the same week so you never know ! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by magicalyoghurt
Isn't the general 'standard' for Oxbridge at least 5A*s? I say 'standard' cos I understand people get in with less and more. Everyone has a chance! Last year, me and my friend from the same school both got in to the same week so you never know ! :smile:

On average most people i know who got in to oxbridge (or even applied) have very high GCSEs, 6+ . However this is probably not a causal relation, having good GCSEs matters very little. Having good GCSEs just shows you know how to study well from a young age- and isn't a very good indicator of ability at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending