The Student Room Group

Why Are Arab/ Middle Eastern Men So Confrontational?

I know I will get a lot of replies saying 'you can't generalise etc etc' but why is it that men from the Middle East or Arabic countries in general are so confrontational and unwilling to live within the rules? I have the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a lot of them at work and I just wish I could understand them a bit better. Is it just a superior mentality which comes from having an absolute monarchy/ class system, or is it just that they get a kick out of confrontation, fighting and arguing? Why?

The men (again I know it's difficult to generalise) in general do whatever they want, regardless of whether it is legal, correct or fair. The men can sleep with as many women as they want and it is ok? They can break the law as they see fit and it is ok? Yet the women must be wrapped in black with only slits cut for their eyes? This isn't really a dig at male/ female inequality, just an attempt to understand this behaviour which to be honest I find rather disgusting. Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I know I will get a lot of replies saying 'you can't generalise etc etc' but why is it that men from the Middle East or Arabic countries in general are so confrontational and unwilling to live within the rules? I have the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a lot of them at work and I just wish I could understand them a bit better. Is it just a superior mentality which comes from having an absolute monarchy/ class system, or is it just that they get a kick out of confrontation, fighting and arguing? Why?

The men (again I know it's difficult to generalise) in general do whatever they want, regardless of whether it is legal, correct or fair. The men can sleep with as many women as they want and it is ok? They can break the law as they see fit and it is ok? Yet the women must be wrapped in black with only slits cut for their eyes? This isn't really a dig at male/ female inequality, just an attempt to understand this behaviour which to be honest I find rather disgusting. Any ideas?

.... what?... :confused:

Where are you getting this from?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2

I stopped reading here.
Reply 3
I'm 1/2 Israeli and do not behave in any way like you've just described, seriously it's just some people who feel the need to be constantly sanctimonious whether it be in a work place or learning facility that you just need to avoid...
Reply 4
inb4 this thread goes to like 10 pages, doesn't even deserve to get past the first.
OP has a point. Arabs bring the rep :smile:

Speaking from personal experience, there are few other groups of people i could classify as being this aggressive/unpleasant as a whole. By no means am I condemning all arab/middle easterners, however the great majority as compared the the great majority of another racial group are much different.
Reply 6
Confrontation in men is almost always caused by insecurity- lack of height, social standing, money etc or lack of sex.
Reply 7
some are like that, some arent. like all races.
Reply 8
im in not like that, and im a halfie =)
Reply 9
Original post by modini
.... what?... :confused:

Where are you getting this from?

Personal experience. Stories I have heard (first hand experiences of husbands cheating on their wives numerous times) and just generally observing how they behave as a race (generally).
A lot of Middle Eastern society is very patriarchal. Not all of the men will behave in this way though, and some of it is also to do with culture such as burkas.
Reply 11
Original post by j.laurence
I'm 1/2 Israeli and do not behave in any way like you've just described, seriously it's just some people who feel the need to be constantly sanctimonious whether it be in a work place or learning facility that you just need to avoid...

To be fair though Israel is a bit different to the rest of the middle east though. Its far more westernised for example and culturally is quite different.
Reply 12
different countries have different people with different attributes. that's life :smile:
interesting point made though
I've got 99 problems but Arabic men ain't one
Reply 14
Original post by *Dreaming*
A lot of Middle Eastern society is very patriarchal. Not all of the men will behave in this way though, and some of it is also to do with culture such as burkas.

What do you mean by patriarchal? and does this mean they do not have to cooperate in a civilised manner then? or live within the law/ rules?
In my experience Arabs are extremely scared of their parents and adults in general. Maybe this comes from having an absolute monarchy/ class system, or me just posting BS on TSR.
I agree with OP and I'm part Arab myself. Made even worse by the fact that I'm more Persian than I am Arab which infuriates them because it means that a woman in my family married who she loved haha. No matter how unintelligent, how unattractive, how disadvantaged, how whatever, they will always find a way to look down on you. Its like ARGHHHHHH. I have so many stories about this seriously. I could just sit here and vent all bloody day. :rolleyes:

Arab women are nothing like the men though which makes me wonder where the **** are they getting this attitude from?
What do you mean by patriarchal? and does this mean they do not have to cooperate in a civilised manner then? or live within the law/ rules?

Of course it doesn't mean that, you just asked when the men are the way they are, and my answer is because they are from a patriarchal society.
Reply 18
Still searching for the link between being subjects of an "absolute monarchy" and a superiority complex.....
Reply 19
Original post by Aramiss18
Confrontation in men is almost always caused by insecurity- lack of height, social standing, money etc or lack of sex.

Well the ones I have met have not been particularly short, they have money and they are married. Not sure about their social standing though. It seems to be more a problem they have in general with rules and laws. It's as if they are saying 'How dare you expect me to play by the rules? Do you know how important I am?' I know this happens in Western culture a lot with people who have a chip on their shoulder because they are loaded or powerful, but it just seems to be far more common amongst arab and middle eastern men. It's like they consider themselves superior to the law. Just curious to know why? and how I can understand then a bit better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending