The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure, there was a big question on positvism in the January exam so hopefully not that! How are you revising? And what are you concentrating on most?
Original post by Lucy-Mc
Not sure, there was a big question on positvism in the January exam so hopefully not that! How are you revising? And what are you concentrating on most?

Oh gosh I'm yet to absorb the whole of Crime and Deviance! PS.: I haven't revised once and I have a mock tomorrow *sigh*
Reply 3
Original post by iheartmondays
Oh gosh I'm yet to absorb the whole of Crime and Deviance! PS.: I haven't revised once and I have a mock tomorrow *sigh*

Oh I do hate sociology exams :frown: I haven't started revising either yet, but luckily don't have any mocks tomorrow! Hopefully you'll do okay, at least it's not the real thing. I never know how to revise for sociology, such a weird subject! Let me know how the mock goes and what questions you get though :smile: good luck!
Reply 4
Im doing crime and deviance...
i would like 12 marker to be functionalism/realism
21marker to be suicide

im really scared for the theory and research methods though
Reply 5
Aw good luck I will pray for you all! I am doing as
Reply 6
Crime and Deviance..... crap -__- I should really start revising, and I hope a question on crime theories comes up
Reply 7
i am thinking that gender differences in crime and maybe crime as a social construct may come up, also in the theories and methods, i think it may be to do withone of the thories and their contribution to understanding society, but don't take my word for it other than this you could be asked to asses the usefulness of using some kind of reasearch method and apply knowledge from the crime and devience topic, here are some past qs

assess the strengths and limitations of overt participant observation as a means of investigating police attitudes. (15 marks) This question requires you to apply your knowledge and understanding of sociological
research methods to the study of this particular issue in crime and deviance.

Assess the relative importance of the different factors that affect sociologists’ choice of
research methods and of topics to investigate. (33 marks)

Identify and briefly explain three problems of using self-report studies to study offending.

Examine some of the reasons why females may be less likely than males to commit
crimes. (12 marks)

Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess sociological views of the relationship
between crime and the mass media. (21 marks)

Examine some of the ways in which crime and globalisation may be related. (12 marks)

assess the view that ethnic differences in
crime rates are the result of the ways in which the criminal justice system operates.
(21 marks)

Identify and briefly explain three problems of using qualitative methods and/or sources
of data to study suicide. (9 marks)

assess the strengths and limitations of
unstructured interviews as a means of investigating victims of crime. (15 marks)
This Question requires you to apply your knowledge and understanding of sociological
research methods to the study of this particular issue in crime and deviance.

“Feminism has revolutionised sociology by placing women at the centre of its analysis
of society. However, while all feminists share this starting point, there are now many
different ‘feminisms’ within sociology.”
Assess the contribution of feminist theorists and researchers to an understanding of
society today.
Reply 8
Original post by kingoftv
Im doing crime and deviance...
i would like 12 marker to be functionalism/realism
21marker to be suicide

im really scared for the theory and research methods though

This is what came up last year try this question

Assess the relative importance of the different factors that affect sociologists’ choice of
research methods and of topics to investigate.
Reply 9
I;m finding it hard to revise since I am self-teaching...does anyone have advice regarding the exam structure i.e what to do for the 33 markers?
Original post by Lasuil
I;m finding it hard to revise since I am self-teaching...does anyone have advice regarding the exam structure i.e what to do for the 33 markers?

My advice would be to frantically try to hurl out 7-8 paragraphs in the structure
-Intro
-Theory or case study
-support
-relate
-criticize
-summarize

give a nice posh introducation and an unbiased evaluative conclusion. use the item if it wants you to and there you go :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Lasuil

Yeah, I'm self teaching too and am finding it really hard to know how to revise. Only just started as I was put in late for the exams so don't have much time either! Need to get a B in the exam so am majorly worried right now :/
Reply 12
I'm taking Sociology through distance learning and am currently in panic mode! My A2's are coming up, Beliefs in Society and Crime and Deviance. I have bought a study guide to help although have only just finished my A Level so opened it for the first time today and just couldn't take anything in! I know I should make flashcards or cue-cards, whatever they are called, however I am so awful at minimising all the information to fit in such a small space! I can't seem to pick out the important bits. Anyone have any tips?[

QUOTE=Lucy-Mc;31328285]Yeah, I'm self teaching too and am finding it really hard to know how to revise. Only just started as I was put in late for the exams so don't have much time either! Need to get a B in the exam so am majorly worried right now :/
Does anyone know the questions which came up in jan 2011?

Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by Lucy-Mc
Oh I do hate sociology exams :frown: I haven't started revising either yet, but luckily don't have any mocks tomorrow! Hopefully you'll do okay, at least it's not the real thing. I never know how to revise for sociology, such a weird subject! Let me know how the mock goes and what questions you get though :smile: good luck!

yh ive noticed that the questions seem to hardly ask about what you have been reading in the book its quite weird and frustrating and makes revision a pain
Is the exam definitely out of 120 marks? Because all of the past papers/specimen papers our class have been given are out of 90 :frown:
Reply 16
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has the answers to the summary questions from the AQA book?
Original post by Orwell's Hamster
Is the exam definitely out of 120 marks? Because all of the past papers/specimen papers our class have been given are out of 90 :frown:

120 marks is the UMS mark if I'm correct.
Ok this crime and deviance and beliefs seems to be insanely hard, is it just me who thinks this?

I mean we have to learn about postmodernism, modernism, detailed marxism, functionalism, feminism and sociology as a science as a start... Then we need to know all about crime and deviance which basically consists of a 1000 case studies, and on top of that we need to know the ins and outs of research methods!

I got the media exam 5 days before it which seems easier though I am stressing out!!!! I want an A or A* in this exam but the topic seems so broad to know every different part in detail! :redface:
Original post by daemongreen
Ok this crime and deviance and beliefs seems to be insanely hard, is it just me who thinks this?

I mean we have to learn about postmodernism, modernism, detailed marxism, functionalism, feminism and sociology as a science as a start... Then we need to know all about crime and deviance which basically consists of a 1000 case studies, and on top of that we need to know the ins and outs of research methods!

I got the media exam 5 days before it which seems easier though I am stressing out!!!! I want an A or A* in this exam but the topic seems so broad to know every different part in detail! :redface:

Tell me about it! I found Religion abit easier but Crime and Deviance is more interesting. But there is just soooooooooooo much to know! There are so many topics in C&D and then there is only one big 21mark question:confused:
I have my Media exam on the 16th,but then I also have English Lit on the same day :frown: Very annoying.....and stressful!

Latest

Trending

Trending