The Student Room Group

Anyone who has a conch, daith, rook or snug piercing advice please:)

Hi, I am currently looking in to a new piercing in my ear, at the moment I have 2 hole in each lobe but i only use the bottom 2.

I am interested in either a conch, daith, rook, snug piercing I havent spoken to a piercer yet but I understand that the rook and daith can only be done if you have the right space but for now assume I am able to get it.

If you have had any of these done could you please advise me on your personal experience, the pain and healing time?

I also have my nose pierced and that didnt really hurt, just a small scratch. So if you have a conch, daith, rook or snug and also have your nose could you tell me how similar or different the pain was between them?

Reply 1
hiya, i have both my nose and rook done. Had my rook done in November and it's still not fully healed but there's no pain or anything. I haven't had any problems with it but i'm not looking forward to changing the bar. Can see it being fiddly to do. There isn't really much else to say about it.
For me, there wasn't really much of a difference between having my nose pierced and my rook, my rook may having been a tiny bit more painful but that might just be because i had it done later so i remember it more.
Hope that helps.
Reply 2
Original post by loopy6111
hiya, i have both my nose and rook done. Had my rook done in November and it's still not fully healed but there's no pain or anything. I haven't had any problems with it but i'm not looking forward to changing the bar. Can see it being fiddly to do. There isn't really much else to say about it.
For me, there wasn't really much of a difference between having my nose pierced and my rook, my rook may having been a tiny bit more painful but that might just be because i had it done later so i remember it more.
Hope that helps.

Thats great thanks, also what side is it on compared to how you sleep? I'm thinking about getting it on my right side but I cant sleep on my left , don't really want to be lying on it though.
Reply 3
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
Thats great thanks, also what side is it on compared to how you sleep? I'm thinking about getting it on my right side but I cant sleep on my left , don't really want to be lying on it though.

Even when i sleep on it there isn't really any pressure on it due to how far it is in my ear, it seems to be protected by the rest of the ear. There have been twinges in my ear sometimes but i just shift my head slightly and it relieves the pressure (hope that makes sense). So i have no problems sleeping on it, in fact mine is in my right ear as well and i always sleep on that side.
i've got my rook done too - BUT keep in mind that it takes up to a year to fully heal... even though its been about a year, every once in a while it can flare up. however its so cute and original its worth it :love:
Reply 5
That sounds alright then thanks:smile:
Reply 6
I have my nose, daith, conch and have also had a snug previously.

Daith is the most painful piercing I've hard - moreso than microdermal implants in hip/wrist. HOWEVER this is because I'd had it pierced before and it went through scar tissue.

Piercing pain lasts seconds anyway so it's nothing to worry about. The healing on all cartilage piercings takes ages, but just leave them alone and they'll heal fine.
Reply 7
I've got my rook done. It didn't really hurt and healed in no time. I sleep on both sides and even when I'd first got it done it didn't hurt to lay on it - it's kind of tucked away if you know what I mean so I don't think you really put that much pressure on it when you sleep.
Hey..
I got my snug piercing yesterday, but she didn't say how to clean it...
Anyone got any advice on how to clean it?! It's a curved bar.
Also, how long was it before it didn't hurt to sleep on?
1/4 of a teaspoon of sea salt in a mug of boiled water - cotton bud, clean both holes.
I have my conch done and rook done. The conch was the less painful of the two. It healed relatively quickly with no problems. My rook on the other hand, I had done once and it swelled up so much and was so aggravated that the ball fell off and the bar got lost inside the hole. I promptly removed it, and it healed up perfectly with no scarring. I got it pierced again, and although this time I have not had such a bad problem with it, it needs a hell of a lot of cleaning and is still not heeled properly over a year later.
Original post by smilee172

Original post by smilee172
I have my conch done and rook done. The conch was the less painful of the two. It healed relatively quickly with no problems. My rook on the other hand, I had done once and it swelled up so much and was so aggravated that the ball fell off and the bar got lost inside the hole. I promptly removed it, and it healed up perfectly with no scarring. I got it pierced again, and although this time I have not had such a bad problem with it, it needs a hell of a lot of cleaning and is still not heeled properly over a year later.

When did you notice yours started to embed?
Yesterday my hair got tangled up in my snug anad i went to put my hair behind my ear and it really yanked my snug piercing, but when I woek up this morning it was really swollen and looks like its starting to embed?D:
Hi, I’ve had my conch done, my snug done and rook done all in that order. My conch healed without any problems. Was very painful in my opinion but it was my first cartilage piercing which was probably a big shock to me. Healed amazingly but I cannot stress enough how badly sea salt soaks are essential. Really hurt for a while to sleep on so I would advise you practice not sleeping on the side you want to get it on. The snug was another story, I eventually had to take it out after 11 months due to unsuccessful attempts at healing. Snug is a really tricky piercing to heal as it’s right on the edge of your ear. Sea salt soaks, along with your other aftercare and you should be fine but just be prepared to have to retire it if it shows no signs of swelling going down after 10 months. Pain on that one to get done was very high. I only just got my rook done yesterday. From what my piercer told me it’s an easier piercing to heal because it’s protected on the inside of your ear. Couldn’t sleep on it last night at all but that’s to be expected. The pain in comparison to my conch and snug wasn’t bad. Hope that helps?
Original post by Arosey99
Hi, I’ve had my conch done, my snug done and rook done all in that order. My conch healed without any problems. Was very painful in my opinion but it was my first cartilage piercing which was probably a big shock to me. Healed amazingly but I cannot stress enough how badly sea salt soaks are essential. Really hurt for a while to sleep on so I would advise you practice not sleeping on the side you want to get it on. The snug was another story, I eventually had to take it out after 11 months due to unsuccessful attempts at healing. Snug is a really tricky piercing to heal as it’s right on the edge of your ear. Sea salt soaks, along with your other aftercare and you should be fine but just be prepared to have to retire it if it shows no signs of swelling going down after 10 months. Pain on that one to get done was very high. I only just got my rook done yesterday. From what my piercer told me it’s an easier piercing to heal because it’s protected on the inside of your ear. Couldn’t sleep on it last night at all but that’s to be expected. The pain in comparison to my conch and snug wasn’t bad. Hope that helps?

This thread was made over 7 years ago and the thread starter hasn’t logged in since 2015. I’m sure she made her decision long ago.
Reply 14
Use a saline wound wash spray. And literally nothing else. When it comes to any piercing if you wouldn’t put it in your eye then don’t put it on your piercing.

Latest