The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Info 3 Pre Release June 2011

Scroll to see replies

I dont understand how to answer questions on the pre-release? Are we suppose to look up potential questions that could be asked and find out things about green ict orrr... i don't get it =(
Original post by needssomehelpplease
I dont understand how to answer questions on the pre-release? Are we suppose to look up potential questions that could be asked and find out things about green ict orrr... i don't get it =(

It is confusing, considering this pre-release is evidently aimed at green ict, and other factors such as legacy, strategy and so on... I guess you could look up potential questions, or you can even look back on previous papers, read their scenario and look at the first section of the paper. Only the first section covers the scenario and section B is from the book. Nonetheless you still have to know knowledge from the book to answer questions from section A. They may ask you from the scenario how is ict contributing to the greenhouse effect, etc, etc...I haven't really annotated anything from this pre-release, so am not sure what questions may come up or what won't come up, obviously learning everything from the book is essential in case something totally random does appear, knowing AQA they may ask some something to do with society as a whole as they did in Info 2 in this years January paper...Potential questions from the scenario could be strategy, environmental factors, social factors (if workers work from home to reduce carbon being released to the environment) and the fact that their social lives become limited as they have no feel of a proper work place and loneliness. It would be good to search up things about green ICT, to give a wider understanding of the issue discussed in the pre-release.

Btw, do we get a copy of the scenario in the exam or do we have to bring out own clean copy?
(edited 12 years ago)
It is confusing, considering this pre-release is evidently aimed at green ict, and other factors such as legacy, strategy and so on... I guess you could look up potential questions, or you can even look back on previous papers, read their scenario and look at the first section of the paper. Only the first section covers the scenario and section B is from the book. Nonetheless you still have to know knowledge from the book to answer questions from section A. They may ask you from the scenario how is ict contributing to the greenhouse effect, etc, etc...I haven't really annotated anything from this pre-release, so am not sure what questions may come up or what won't come up, obviously learning everything from the book is essential in case something totally random does appear, knowing AQA they may ask some something to do with society as a whole as they did in Info 2 in this years January paper...Potential questions from the scenario could be strategy, environmental factors, social factors (if workers work from home to reduce carbon being released to the environment) and the fact that their social lives become limited as they have no feel of a proper work place and loneliness. It would be good to search up things about green ICT, to give a wider understanding of the issue discussed in the pre-release.

Btw, do we get a copy of the scenario in the exam or do we have to bring out own clean copy?

ah thank you for your reply, cleared up a lot of things, but yeah i need start revising ict where its my last exam and i have 7 before it i have not looked at anything yet.. although i keep thinking some of it has got to be common sense like info 2 was? Do you think revising from the text book is more important than gaining a wider knowledge of green ict?

My teacher said we get given a clean copy of the pre release in the exam but not sure if its the same for all schools :smile:
ah thank you for your reply, cleared up a lot of things, but yeah i need start revising ict where its my last exam and i have 7 before it i have not looked at anything yet.. although i keep thinking some of it has got to be common sense like info 2 was? Do you think revising from the text book is more important than gaining a wider knowledge of green ict?

My teacher said we get given a clean copy of the pre release in the exam but not sure if its the same for all schools :smile:

Well, considering only the first section is to do with the scenario, then yes the text book would be more important, but the only parts of green ict i came across was environmental etc which have been from info 2, i haven't started much from this module yet as again it is my last exam also, and have got 3 before it, yes some of it will be common sense like info 2 was, the last 3 or 4 questions were completely off topic, it was more common sense like the 20 marker about writing a letter, i mean what was that about :s
Reply 64
Original post by ,,,,
Well, considering only the first section is to do with the scenario, then yes the text book would be more important, but the only parts of green ict i came across was environmental etc which have been from info 2, i haven't started much from this module yet as again it is my last exam also, and have got 3 before it, yes some of it will be common sense like info 2 was, the last 3 or 4 questions were completely off topic, it was more common sense like the 20 marker about writing a letter, i mean what was that about :s

haha i remember that last question (20 marker), that was so weird! it seems like section A of info 3 is gonna be more info 2 based (like environmental/social stuff), which is quite annoying, i dont have any notes from info 2 anymore or the book :| there's hardly anything about environment in the info 3 book..
Original post by l0livia
haha i remember that last question (20 marker), that was so weird! it seems like section A of info 3 is gonna be more info 2 based (like environmental/social stuff), which is quite annoying, i dont have any notes from info 2 anymore or the book :| there's hardly anything about environment in the info 3 book..

Precisely, there may be a bit thrown in from the book about strategy etc, but i think all of that will be covered in section B

Not looking forward to this exam at all! Hows everyone else coping?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by ,,,,
Precisely, there may be a bit thrown in from the book about strategy etc, but i think all of that will be covered in section B

Not looking forward to this exam at all! Hows everyone else coping?

Not looking forward to it either! Started "revising" in may but I know nothing has gone in haha..gonna have to really drill it in in the next few weeks!
Original post by Noj2202
thats exactly how im doing notes though im on 16,000 words :P lol
just bullet pointing everything.

any decent revision materials for strategiesand policies... i really dont like the managing ict and strategies chapters i have.... :frown:

A very kind friend gave me these! :colondollar: haha! If you really can be bothered to read them!

How size of an organisation affects the way in which ICT is managed
ICT departments range from a single person to several hundred people.
Someone employed in a large organisation will have a specific role and will not usually be asked to do anything outside this role.
Someone employed in a small organisation will usually work flexibly and have to take on a huge range of ICT related tasks as and when required.
Large ICT organisations tend to have autocratic style of management, organised into a hierarchy.
Small ICT organisations usually have a democratic structure where all employees are involved in ICT decisions.

What is an ICT strategy?
All organisations have aim which is what they want to achieve in the future.
In order to achieve this aim, the organisation will have to lay down a strategy which supports this aim.
The ICT strategy is the overall direction in which the organisation should be going, it is necessary for the managers to be involved in ICT and have ICT policies which will help achieve the overall strategy.
Generally, there are a series of long term and short term aims and the strategy should support this.

How ICT policies outline how a strategy would be put into operation:
All organisations should have a range of policies that set out the way in which ICT will be developed within the organisation.
ICT policies cover a range of different aspects including security training and procurement.
Security policies set out a series of rules and regulations designed to ensure the security of the ICT system along with its data. The policy should also outline penalties for those who misuse the system.
- Prevention of misuse
- Logical access, everyone has their own passwords giving them access to relevant parts of the system
- Firewalls
- Staff code of conduct
- Disciplinary procedures.
Procurement Policy sets out the arrangements for the purchasing of ICT equipment and services. Efficient procurement policy results in value for money services and supplies.
- Staff must show how they have achieved value for money and provide evidence of this if asked.
- Purchase of hardware must be above a certain specification
- Purchase of software, must be above a certain specification, i.e. capable of running on the existent system.
- Outsourcing must be subject to the standard contract used by the organisation.
Training Policy staff must have the relevant skills to perform their given tasks. The policy must ensure:
- Staff can correctly and appropriately perform the job they perform.
- Staff have knowledge of the legal issues (copyright misuse, adhering to the data protection act)
- Properly trained in the use of new hardware and software.
- Staff should have their skills assessed on yearly intervals.
- Staffs adhere to any new rules or regulations that have been put into place.
Original post by Nicola.Garner
ohh thats well helpful, maybe send them me?? :P its cool if you dont :P
and i have both books not digging either tbf :P x

SHARE?

Original post by mrdoovde1
Can you please share your notes. I need an A in this otherwise I can't get an A overall which means I can't get into uni which means I can't get a job which means I'll end up living on the streets which means I will die of hypothermia.

So unless you want me to die, can you pleeease send me you're notes :puppyeyes:

Ok, erm... I don't really know what I can do, i've just posted topic three on here, but I shall give it a go :P

Revise what is mentioned in the pre-release... the topics I posted at the beginning of this topic are the ones that are mentioned...
Original post by Sparkie3222
A very kind friend gave me these! :colondollar: haha! If you really can be bothered to read them!

How size of an organisation affects the way in which ICT is managed
ICT departments range from a single person to several hundred people.
Someone employed in a large organisation will have a specific role and will not usually be asked to do anything outside this role.
Someone employed in a small organisation will usually work flexibly and have to take on a huge range of ICT related tasks as and when required.
Large ICT organisations tend to have autocratic style of management, organised into a hierarchy.
Small ICT organisations usually have a democratic structure where all employees are involved in ICT decisions.

What is an ICT strategy?
All organisations have aim which is what they want to achieve in the future.
In order to achieve this aim, the organisation will have to lay down a strategy which supports this aim.
The ICT strategy is the overall direction in which the organisation should be going, it is necessary for the managers to be involved in ICT and have ICT policies which will help achieve the overall strategy.
Generally, there are a series of long term and short term aims and the strategy should support this.

How ICT policies outline how a strategy would be put into operation:
All organisations should have a range of policies that set out the way in which ICT will be developed within the organisation.
ICT policies cover a range of different aspects including security training and procurement.
Security policies set out a series of rules and regulations designed to ensure the security of the ICT system along with its data. The policy should also outline penalties for those who misuse the system.
- Prevention of misuse
- Logical access, everyone has their own passwords giving them access to relevant parts of the system
- Firewalls
- Staff code of conduct
- Disciplinary procedures.
Procurement Policy sets out the arrangements for the purchasing of ICT equipment and services. Efficient procurement policy results in value for money services and supplies.
- Staff must show how they have achieved value for money and provide evidence of this if asked.
- Purchase of hardware must be above a certain specification
- Purchase of software, must be above a certain specification, i.e. capable of running on the existent system.
- Outsourcing must be subject to the standard contract used by the organisation.
Training Policy staff must have the relevant skills to perform their given tasks. The policy must ensure:
- Staff can correctly and appropriately perform the job they perform.
- Staff have knowledge of the legal issues (copyright misuse, adhering to the data protection act)
- Properly trained in the use of new hardware and software.
- Staff should have their skills assessed on yearly intervals.
- Staffs adhere to any new rules or regulations that have been put into place.

I've been trying to revise for this exam, haven't looked at environment etc as of yet, just trying to read through the book and nothing's going in! Tbh this is my only subject where reading is required the most and since GCSE i have barely done any reading whatsoever...What am getting at is how are you guys revising, am using the blue and white book by carl lyon ...need some motivation!
(edited 12 years ago)
yeah, i'm dreading this exam as well. doesn't help when we get a killer of a pre-release material too :frown: just hope i can get a decent mark in the exam

fingers crossed!
To

Much

To

Revise
Original post by aaron.leggott
yeah, i'm dreading this exam as well. doesn't help when we get a killer of a pre-release material too :frown: just hope i can get a decent mark in the exam

fingers crossed!

To

Much

To

Revise

Exactly! :frown:
Original post by ,,,,
Exactly! :frown:

I played on Call of Duty and Little Big Planet 2 today... it was fun. Now I am revising... well trying to revise :/
I played on Call of Duty and Little Big Planet 2 today... it was fun. Now I am revising... well trying to revise :/

i just can't find the motivation to revise AT ALL :'( sat here on my laptop, doing absolutely nothing as well, eurghhhh

Lmao, i haven't touched my Xbox in time, when i finish first thing am going to be doing is playing Fifa :biggrin:, yes i know what your going to say Xbox is wimpish compared to the PS3 lol, considering you got a PS3?:s
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
i just can't find the motivation to revise AT ALL :'( sat here on my laptop, doing absolutely nothing as well, eurghhhh

Same :frown:!

Don't know how to go about revision for ICT, same thing happened with info 2 and ended up with a D, lets see how it goes tomorrow, i know how you feel about not finding the motivation...just think of it this way, the more you revise now, the better you feel after taking the exam, knowing you never have to do ICT ever again unless your taking it at uni lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending