The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OP: Nope
Original post by silverbolt
South Wales your ok, its north wales that some communities are racist toward the english. Walk into some pubs in north wales and suddenly no one knows how to speak english as soon as they have heard your accent

Wow, you must have worked pretty hard to find those pubs. Having lived in North Wales almost all my life, I'm afraid this is a load of nonsense.
Original post by Kaiser MacCleg
OP: Nope

Wow, you must have worked pretty hard to find those pubs. Having lived in North Wales almost all my life, I'm afraid this is a load of nonsense.

of course how stupid of me

naturally as a native of north wales you have visited and spent numerous amounts of time in every pub in the country.

I said some.
Reply 62
I'm welsh and I don't hate the english. We have some friendly banter when it's Wales V. England in the Rugby, but otherwise nope. Of course you're gonna get some people who are very against England and vice versa, but that's common everywhere. It's the same between North and South Wales here. I'm up North, and you can hear a bit of, oh that's what they do down South, we're better than them etc. But it's all a bit of fun

However - THE NORTH RULES
Reply 63
South and central wales appear fine to me.
North west wales hasn't been bad in my experience.

North east wales, however...they really do seem to dislike us.
Doesn't help that I'm from the most anti-welsh town (well...city technically) in the world.

Just noticed the poster above me is from wrexham.
The chester/wrexham football rivalry is pretty fierce.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by kayla:)

[QUOTE=kayla[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30844936]I'm welsh and I don't hate the english. We have some friendly banter when it's Wales V. England in the Rugby, but otherwise nope. Of course you're gonna get some people who are very against England and vice versa, but that's common everywhere. It's the same between North and South Wales here. I'm up North, and you can hear a bit of, oh that's what they do down South, we're better than them etc. But it's all a bit of fun

However - THE NORTH RULES

How come you don't spell it "Wrecsam"?

Also, chester > wrexham :awesome:
Reply 65
Original post by Kaiser MacCleg

Really isn't, I've had it too. The Western film cliché, you walk into the bar and everything goes quiet and they all stare at you... Yeah, real friendly :rolleyes: Not all, but some.

And people, stop addressing the OP, 1- the thread is 2yrs old. 2- they've been banned!
Reply 66
Original post by Manitude
How come you don't spell it "Wrecsam"?

Also, chester > wrexham :awesome:

No idea :P

Chester Charity Shops = Wrexham Charity Shops

But Wrexham > Chester as Wrexham is smaller :biggrin: Plus we have a B&M and a Home Bargain :P You need somewhere for cheap drinks!
Reply 67
South and central wales appear fine to me.
North west wales hasn't been bad in my experience.

North east wales, however...they really do seem to dislike us.
Doesn't help that I'm from the most anti-welsh town (well...city technically) in the world.

Just noticed the poster above me is from wrexham.
The chester/wrexham football rivalry is pretty fierce.

I agree about the rivalry! It's mental. But we don't hate Chester people! I have lots of friends from Chester!
Reply 68
No idea :P

Chester Charity Shops = Wrexham Charity Shops

But Wrexham > Chester as Wrexham is smaller :biggrin: Plus we have a B&M and a Home Bargain :P You need somewhere for cheap drinks!

Chester is still pretty small. The vast majority of the bits worth seeing/going to are within the walls.

Watergates mid-week - £1.50 pints.

The Boot used to be £1.33 I think, but gone up since then.
Reply 69

[QUOTE=kayla[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30845259]I agree about the rivalry! It's mental. But we don't hate Chester people! I have lots of friends from Chester!

Fair enough.

I still love how our clock tower on the town hall doesn't have a face on the west side so the welsh can't tell the time!
Reply 70
Didn't there used to be a law or something, that a Chester man could shoot a Welsh man if you're on the walls of Chester with a cross bow if it's after midnight??.....

WHAT HAVE WE EVER DONE TO YOU!!!!
Reply 71
Didn't there used to be a law or something, that a Chester man could shoot a Welsh man if you're on the walls of Chester with a cross bow if it's after midnight??.....

I believe the full law is that it's legal within the walls, after curfew (which I believe was 9pm or sunset) and it's with a longbow not a crossbow. Also there has to be more than 2 or 3 welshmen.

It's something we're immensely proud of :cool:
I believe the full law is that it's legal within the walls, after curfew (which I believe was 9pm or sunset) and it's with a longbow not a crossbow. Also there has to be more than 2 or 3 welshmen.

It's something we're immensely proud of :cool:

Awesome

There use to be a law that if a Welsh man crossed the border the English would cut one of his hands off. The English weren't always the most friendly people ( probably due to our fears of being invaded) but we're not as mean now :biggrin: promise.
I'm half welsh and half english (with lots of family in both countries, myself living in England though).

Am I supposed to hate myself? :frown:
Original post by Darkphilosopher
I'm half welsh and half english (with lots of family in both countries, myself living in England though).

Am I supposed to hate myself? :frown:

I'm half Irish and half English. I have a very similar problem to you but I decided to just be proud of both of my heritages

Latest

Trending

Trending