The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Info 3 Pre Release June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Hi does anyone have any notes on the "business process modelling tools" and "data modelling tools" part of the specification? this part really confuses me!

Reply 201
Original post by Niamhx
Hi does anyone have any notes on the "business process modelling tools" and "data modelling tools" part of the specification? this part really confuses me!

These are my notes, but it's no where near as detailed as the book, sorry :smile:
EDIT: the titles are bolded but i cba to format it on here sozzers!

Decision tables
Provide simple way of displaying the actions to be taken when certain conditions occur.
There are the following sections:
- Conditions stub: situations or events which need testing. Cause of the actions which need to be taken. A condition might be “is the person over 18?”
- Actions stub: these are the actions depending on the combination general conditions in the conditions stub that apply. For instance: “may be served alcoholic drink” could be an action.
- Conditions entries: these give an indication of which of the conditions apply. This is done by placing Y or N next to each condition depending on whether the condition applies or not.
- Action entries. These are the conditions which apply. A cross is marked in the decision table to show which actions should be taken.
Advantages of decision tables:
You can make sure that all the combinations of conditions have been considered.
They are easy to understand since the information is held on one table.
There is a standard layout so everyone uses the same format.
Programmers may use them to write programs and they are useful for working out logic conditions in excel, database etc.
They show cause and effect and are therefore understood by most people.
Data flow diagrams
They look at inputs, processes and the outputs of a system.
External source of data
- Oval box which is used to describe where outside the system the data comes to. I.e. customer.
Data flow
- Shown by an arrow pointing in the direction of the flow, usually it is advisable to put a description of the flow on top of the arrow to aid understanding.
Data store
- Data store is anywhere where data can be stored such as a filing cabinet etc.
- Symbol will have a number to give it reference when describing it.
- M is used for manual C is used for computer.
Levels of DFD
- You have to draw DFD’s at different levels:
- Level 0 is an overview of the whole system. It is called a context diagram as it shows the main flows and orders.
- Level 1shows the main processes in the system and presents a more detailed view of the data flows.
- Breaks down the process boxes in level one and presents an even more detailed version of the processes.
Using DFD’s
- During system investigation to record current system findings.
- During system design to illustrate how a proposed system will work
- When outlining the specifications of the new system.
Entity relationship diagrams
Look at any components important to the system and the relationship between them
Entity anything about which data is recorded. Includes people, places, objects, customers, sales, payments etc.
Attributes Each entity has its own attributes. It is the detail about an entity, for example, customer name, postcode, amount owing etc. Etc.
Relationships ways in which entities in a system are related to another. It could be a one to one relationship, one to many, many to many.
Deciding the type of relationship looking at the relationship from both ends, a student could take more than one course. A single course can be taken by many students. Therefore it is many to many.
Another example might be one tutor has many pupils, many pupils have one tutor therefore it is one to many.
Many to many relationships cannot be implemented and so you have to create a new entity that would link the 2 together. For example, with many students to many course, a new entity called enrolment could be entered which attaches the 2 entities together.
Using keys
Primary key one or several attributes that can uniquely define a particular entity. For example, customer entity could be uniquely defined by a customer number.
Foreign key when one of the attributes that is a primary key in one entity also appears in another entity, there is a relationship between the entities. Because the attribute is not unique, the key entered is called a foreign key. For example, if there was an employee ID as a primary key in the employee table, there might be an employee ID again in the payroll table. Therefore, the foreign key will take the place of the employee ID.
Data dictionary: ADD IN AN EXAMPLE.
Entity relationship diagrams and information diagrams came up in jan 2011, do you think that it would appear this year as well :s, especially as this scenario has nothing to do with booking, order processes etc
Reply 203
Original post by Kaskade
These are my notes, but it's no where near as detailed as the book, sorry :smile:
EDIT: the titles are bolded but i cba to format it on here sozzers!

Decision tables
Provide simple way of displaying the actions to be taken when certain conditions occur.
There are the following sections:
- Conditions stub: situations or events which need testing. Cause of the actions which need to be taken. A condition might be “is the person over 18?”
- Actions stub: these are the actions depending on the combination general conditions in the conditions stub that apply. For instance: “may be served alcoholic drink” could be an action.
- Conditions entries: these give an indication of which of the conditions apply. This is done by placing Y or N next to each condition depending on whether the condition applies or not.
- Action entries. These are the conditions which apply. A cross is marked in the decision table to show which actions should be taken.
Advantages of decision tables:
You can make sure that all the combinations of conditions have been considered.
They are easy to understand since the information is held on one table.
There is a standard layout so everyone uses the same format.
Programmers may use them to write programs and they are useful for working out logic conditions in excel, database etc.
They show cause and effect and are therefore understood by most people.
Data flow diagrams
They look at inputs, processes and the outputs of a system.
External source of data
- Oval box which is used to describe where outside the system the data comes to. I.e. customer.
Data flow
- Shown by an arrow pointing in the direction of the flow, usually it is advisable to put a description of the flow on top of the arrow to aid understanding.
Data store
- Data store is anywhere where data can be stored such as a filing cabinet etc.
- Symbol will have a number to give it reference when describing it.
- M is used for manual C is used for computer.
Levels of DFD
- You have to draw DFD’s at different levels:
- Level 0 is an overview of the whole system. It is called a context diagram as it shows the main flows and orders.
- Level 1shows the main processes in the system and presents a more detailed view of the data flows.
- Breaks down the process boxes in level one and presents an even more detailed version of the processes.
Using DFD’s
- During system investigation to record current system findings.
- During system design to illustrate how a proposed system will work
- When outlining the specifications of the new system.
Entity relationship diagrams
Look at any components important to the system and the relationship between them
Entity anything about which data is recorded. Includes people, places, objects, customers, sales, payments etc.
Attributes Each entity has its own attributes. It is the detail about an entity, for example, customer name, postcode, amount owing etc. Etc.
Relationships ways in which entities in a system are related to another. It could be a one to one relationship, one to many, many to many.
Deciding the type of relationship looking at the relationship from both ends, a student could take more than one course. A single course can be taken by many students. Therefore it is many to many.
Another example might be one tutor has many pupils, many pupils have one tutor therefore it is one to many.
Many to many relationships cannot be implemented and so you have to create a new entity that would link the 2 together. For example, with many students to many course, a new entity called enrolment could be entered which attaches the 2 entities together.
Using keys
Primary key one or several attributes that can uniquely define a particular entity. For example, customer entity could be uniquely defined by a customer number.
Foreign key when one of the attributes that is a primary key in one entity also appears in another entity, there is a relationship between the entities. Because the attribute is not unique, the key entered is called a foreign key. For example, if there was an employee ID as a primary key in the employee table, there might be an employee ID again in the payroll table. Therefore, the foreign key will take the place of the employee ID.
Data dictionary: ADD IN AN EXAMPLE.

Thankyou so much! not sure if it will come up but just to be on the safe side :smile:
Reply 204
I dont think it will come up in section A but could perhaps come up in section B, i just wanted to understand it in case :smile:
Reply 205
Okay - so i've answered the questions regarding the analysis for source B:

Benefits of becoming green to organisations costs
Outlined in source A's evaluation
Changing procedures can benefit
- Staff working at home - through intranets workers can access the system online. They can use mobile phones to call in if they need any help. This reduces travel costs as well as carbon emission and through video-conferencing and audio-conferencing, employees can hold meetings from home.
- Hot desks - limits the amount of computers needed as there are no dedicated desks or offices/positions and so less energy is used and thus reducing their carbon footprint
- Restricting staff to one PC - less power will be used
- Reducing time of online availability - people are unable to waste electricity.
- Purging storage - energy can be consumed by storage where high performance disks are used which require fast drives which use up a lot of energy. By purging storage, employees will have to delete uneeded/wanted data in order to satisfy the limit policy of the organisation and so reducing energy consumption.

•What are social and technical issues of working at home.
SOCIAL:
- Lack of contact with other people. Some people prefer personal interaction with other employees as opposed to being isolated at home.
- There may be distractions from domestic factors such as children, chores or the TV (lol)
- If they are working at home after typical hours, they may not have personal or family time which is important to most people.
- They may not feel part of the organisation as the are not interacting with the business and so they feel demotivated.
TECHNICAL
- As they are at home, they will not be able to contact staff on a one to one basis if they are confused with the system or intranet. They would have to call a help desk which doesn't always solve problems.
- They therefore will need to be trained effectively on how to use the system alone which will cost money.
They will have to rely on the speeds and reliability of their own internet and devices.
- An intranet will always have to be online and staff will have to maintain it at the organisation so remote users can always get on with their job.

Original post by amushan1234
what are hot spots and cold spots again ?

I noticed a few people were becoming confused as to what Hot and Cold spots are:

Hot Spots: Servers and other computer devices consume a high amount of electricity which generates a lot of heat. When printers, servers and copiers are put together they produce a lot of energy heat and this is known as a HOT SPOT.

Cold Spot: Therefore air conditioners have to work harder in the Summer to ensure the hot spots keep cool and thus do not overheat. This is known as a COLD SPOT.

Solution: Locate heat generating equipment in different areas in an office so they do not cause a hot spot. Some web hosts promist to plan trees to offset emissions. Another solution would be to use solar power, so the use of energy is not renewable and NOT reliant on fossil fuels.
I have a strong feeling they will ask a question on this...
Benefits of external suppliers.
- You can ensure in the contract that suppliers have a policy regarding the environment that have internal policies ensuring the reduction of carbon emissions (these policies are writtien in my source A evaluation.)

Thanks a lot everyone who uploaded their questions and analysis from lessons :smile: If anyone else needs help just ask!
Reply 206
Original post by Niamhx
I dont think it will come up in section A but could perhaps come up in section B, i just wanted to understand it in case :smile:

Original post by Niamhx
Thankyou so much! not sure if it will come up but just to be on the safe side :smile:

No I don't think it will come up either... Would almost definitely come up in part B. I'm probably only going to learn DFD's and ER's as the tables aren't really used that often... Just know all the entity's :smile:
Original post by l0livia
Some info on effects of teleworking/hot desking on workers AND businesses
The + means advantage, and - means disadvantage

Thanks for those points, I will add them to my revision notes :smile: I just uploaded some as well a few points for teleworking but it looks like you nailed it :smile:
Reply 207
hey :smile: im getting quite worried about this exam becuase looking through a zig zag course companion and i cant remember any of it! wondered if anyone know what i would have to get to get a c overall i got a b or c in info 4 and a c overall in info1 and 2 last yr?
thanks
These are two questions that I feel that are likely to come up in the exam so could you help me answer them please:
1. How could future developments in ICT have an effect on the environment?
Flexible screens - consumers less electricity

2. How could the uses of tele-working and hot-desking improve the environment?
- Employee don't have to travel to work which reduces carbon footprints
Original post by Athers16
hey :smile: im getting quite worried about this exam becuase looking through a zig zag course companion and i cant remember any of it! wondered if anyone know what i would have to get to get a c overall i got a b or c in info 4 and a c overall in info1 and 2 last yr?
thanks

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04, just convert your raw marks to ums, you need your individual marks to determine what you need
i hate this subject, i don't even know why i took it. this is going to be my most difficult exam without a doubt
Reply 211
hy just letting u guys now that i found an awesome blog with info 3 help on all the topics and also possible question for green ict case

http://a2icthelp.blogspot.com/
Original post by thairshan
hy just letting u guys now that i found an awesome blog with info 3 help on all the topics and also possible question for green ict case

do you know what maybe the last 20 marker pease any feelings on what might come up tell us i'm gonna fail sooooooo bad
Reply 213
probably introduction of large scale systms/hardware installation

its never come up b4
Original post by thairshan

Thanks, much better than my book
Reply 215
no problem ill be updating it soon with questions on each topic so you can test yourself and see whether you know everything and btw should have mentioned its my blog i wanted to share my notes so people could have a better understanding of each topic.
Reply 216
Bleghhhhh, "I'll just go out for a couple of drinks so im fine revising tomorrow." turned into vodka, pubs, clubbing and losing my phone! Wow, regretting last night now... Haven't even started revising today! About to start, gonna concentrate on section 2 of the paper now where anything can come up, anyone have any ideas what could come up looking at what hasn't and has come up in the past years?
Reply 217
I just noticed that the case study mentions supermarkets so there's probably definaltely gna be a question related to supermarkets. Maybe how emerging technologies have effected business of supermarkets??
Reply 218
Original post by Jasmin11
I just noticed that the case study mentions supermarkets so there's probably definaltely gna be a question related to supermarkets. Maybe how emerging technologies have effected business of supermarkets??

Ugh..I hope there isn't...isn't the case study about the environment? why would it ask about that :/
Reply 219
Original post by l0livia
Ugh..I hope there isn't...isn't the case study about the environment? why would it ask about that :/

Original post by Jasmin11

"Manyy organisations are already using "green issues" in their advertising and marketing, an example being the major supermarket stores" To me, this doesn't suggest they will ask a question about ICT and supermarkets as it is talking about organisations advertising they are green as opposed to the affects of ICT on the organisation itself... I doubt they will ask anything on this BUT if they did I would expect it would be something like "What are the benefits in advertising and marketing that they are green?" (not phrased in exam speak)...
Then you could talk about:

- They will be complying to EU Laws
- Therefore they will benefit financially as they will not have to pay fines
- By advertising their green policies they will gain recognition as an organisation as the CRC publishes leagues
- Therefore their reputation will go up and will appeal to those who want to sign contracts with environmentally friendly organisations.
- The energy bills will go down and save money blah blah.

That's what I would assume might come out of that section... But then I can't be certain...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending