The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Info 3 Pre Release June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrdoovde1
hhmmmm what to do watch apprentice or revise!

Apprentice obviously!
Original post by Noj2202
Anyone give a decent answer to the role of a CIO (chief information officer) that could get a possible 4 marks? It might come up.
Plus I'd bet there will be a lengthy question on backup strategies and different types of systems.

thats proberbly ownt come up as it was a question on the last paper but its just like

the CIO is incharge of all ict reasources in a company, he is at the strategic level of management and will help on the board of directors. he is incharge of the buying and selling of ict hardware and software.
Original post by smilelikeyoumeanit
Apprentice obviously!

You make a good argument and have also convinced me
Original post by jamesshamzi
I swear cloud computing is when you access data stored on servers somewhere, but u can remotely access it from anywhere? I think im saying the same thing or *******s im sure :frown:

yeah it is, cloud computer is acessed over the internet where by the data is stored on line (which is stored on company servers like google, IBM etc.)

as long as you got the internet ou can use it

thebenefits is that you only use the servers when the demand calls for it, its scalable so you dont have to have the servers working all the time, companies save money and that it is instant :smile: x
Reply 444
Original post by Nicola.Garner
thats proberbly ownt come up as it was a question on the last paper but its just like

the CIO is incharge of all ict reasources in a company, he is at the strategic level of management and will help on the board of directors. he is incharge of the buying and selling of ict hardware and software.

Ok just assuming the worst it's totally random they might throw it in anyway :-/

Any idea about defining the hot spots and cold spots outlined on page 6 article b???
Could someone also please explain iterative methodology and spiral model ? page 92
Original post by mrdoovde1
You make a good argument and have also convinced me

Excellent, if you dont know something now, you never will, best to watch the apprentice and have a good sleep :smile:
Reply 447
Original post by Noj2202
Ok just assuming the worst it's totally random they might throw it in anyway :-/

Any idea about defining the hot spots and cold spots outlined on page 6 article b???

Hot spots: When servers and other peripherals are held close together, they emit a lot of heat which is caused by high electricity usage and thus energy.

Cold Spots: Therefore you have to use air conditioning to cool down the peripherals, else they will overheat. The air conditioning omits a lot of heat.

Resolution: moving the peripherals away from eachother. Or you could offset your carbon emission by planting trees or something else greenular :smile:

Is anyone else reeeeeally worried? Those who did it before, how much did you revise???
Original post by Noj2202

yeah i suppose be a nice four marks if they gave it use considering most of us have done that past paper :P

and yeah
hot spots are like the places where all the equipment is place (especially major heat generating hardware like scanners and printers) and cold spots would be bits where there isnt so much of this

you can think of hot spots being like server rooms like servers produce alot of heat, and haveing them all concentrated all in one room will mean there wioll be alot of heat generated from that room, which means a/c because they need to keep the servers cool

that sort of stuff x
Original post by Kaskade
Hot spots: When servers and other peripherals are held close together, they emit a lot of heat which is caused by high electricity usage and thus energy.

Cold Spots: Therefore you have to use air conditioning to cool down the peripherals, else they will overheat. The air conditioning omits a lot of heat.

Resolution: moving the peripherals away from eachother. Or you could offset your carbon emission by planting trees or something else greenular :smile:

Is anyone else reeeeeally worried? Those who did it before, how much did you revise???

i am sh hh it ting myself tbf i was all calm before had to take my mind of my five hours of exams, now im back panicking!!! x
Reply 450

i am sh hh it ting myself tbf i was all calm before had to take my mind of my five hours of exams, now im back panicking!!! x

i only had two weeks but i feel quite confident and ready i think for the exam
Reply 451
anyone knowwws how does the bespoke solutons will be testing????? alpha and beta testing Or program, system regression and user testing???
Reply 452
Original post by Kaskade

When I did it in january I did about 2/3 days revision (coz my exams were all pretty much in same week :|!) and got a D, but thats probably because the case study was a million times better than this shiite one and I pretty much bossed section A!
Reply 453
Points on Green Computing

Enable Sleep Mode

Set monitors to turn off automatically rather than use screen savers (btw no such thing as energy saving screen savers)

Turn computers off at the end of the work day. Helps to save annually especially in large organisations.

Use flat screen monitors - Save energy and better for your eyes than CRT.

Review documents & emails onscreen instead of printing.

Use Ink jet printers instead of laser. Save 90% more energy.

Use recycled paper for drafts and use double sided printing.

Turn off printers and other peripherals at the end of the work day.

Use the latest Operating Systems with built in energy saving.

I hope you guys find that helpful :smile:
Original post by thairshan
i only had two weeks but i feel quite confident and ready i think for the exam

ahh thats good news :smile: im just going to do it i cant complain x
Reply 455
Yep I'm bricking it tomorrow as well so unprepared and just cant get my head round it all just hope the questions will be somewhat common sense
ahh thats good news :smile: im just going to do it i cant complain x

Ty for the cloud computing thing, also are you Nicola I met on Kings open day? (James Shamsi)

Also anyone understand the iterative methodologies?
Reply 457
So the changes the laws could make are:
They can create legislation based on enviromental issues which org. will have to abide by
GOvernments can give rewards to companies who introduce scrappage schemes for ICT equipment so org. can make a possible profit
Offer subsidies so more companies are willing to adopt enviro-friendly policies

is that right? Are there anymore things the law could do??
Original post by jamesshamzi
Ty for the cloud computing thing, also are you Nicola I met on Kings open day? (James Shamsi)

Also anyone understand the iterative methodologies?

im going to say no im afraid, i didnt go to kings, or apply there sorry x

and iterative are methods such as protoyping like where there isnt the formal methodsput in place usually used if the project objectives are unclears.or when the project team members are highly experianced x
Reply 459
Original post by thairshan
hy what do you guys think of my blog do you reckon i should make a website with regestered domain and then upload 2moz exam day after how did you find the blog was it helpful ?

It's helped me loads! Thanks so so very much for putting it up :biggrin: Some things which are still baffling me are Installation (mainly Hardware & Software) as I have never done it in class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending