The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by hawx90
what do you mean by AMAZING? how many people on the IMB course got ibank summer intern offers? do most people get a grad position doing tech role in ibanks?

I know one guy who got 1 spring week and converted it; he didn't seem too confident on others on the course; ie: people were applying to 'finance' thinking it was 'investment banking' etc instead of like accountancy.
Reply 421
Original post by Ross Johnson
Regardless, he is only one person and whether he went to Imperial or UCL will not prove your point. I did several spring weeks (a couple of years ago now), but on mine there were people from some non target universities studying non standard courses such as Social Sciences/Arts, who held in some cases two or three spring weeks. At SW level, course is irrelevant, the only reason it seems like Maths/Econ guys prosper is because statistically speaking more tend to apply.

What is the extent of your experience by the way?

What's my experience? None, i got rejected by all spring weeks; i have AAABB at A level and study biology at UCL....... i haven't met one person studying maths/econ from UCL who applied and got rejected by all; but as you say, 1 person proves nothing...
I think UCL got more people on SW's this year than Imperial College. It seems as if you're implying that you didn't get SW offers because you're at UCL.
Perhaps a bit of a silly question as its probably a no but could you do investment banking with a mechanical/civil engineering degree from somewhere like warwick or nottingham.
Reply 424
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Perhaps a bit of a silly question as its probably a no but could you do investment banking with a mechanical/civil engineering degree from somewhere like warwick or nottingham.

Yes. It's not a silly question; engineering from Notts or Warwick would be good for getting into investment banking. Warwick would be better than Notts by the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 425
Original post by i_hate_teeth
I think UCL got more people on SW's this year than Imperial College. It seems as if you're implying that you didn't get SW offers because you're at UCL.

They did; but only because of the nature of Imperials coures (ie: no economics etc, all sciences; and most engineers etc, want to be engineers no doubt).

I got rejected cause i highlighted my course as a weakness; plus there may have been other reasons, no w/e etc but the course and the way i talked about it in my cover letters alone would have been enough to be rejected.

My strong points would have included UCL.
Original post by orca92
They did; but only because of the nature of Imperials coures (ie: no economics etc, all sciences; and most engineers etc, want to be engineers no doubt).

I got rejected cause i highlighted my course as a weakness; plus there may have been other reasons, no w/e etc but the course and the way i talked about it in my cover letters alone would have been enough to be rejected.

My strong points would have included UCL.

Nothing wrong with Biology at UCL. To use an empirical example, on my spring week at Goldman, less than half of the people I met from UCL studied Econ or Stats. Rest were a mix of IMB, Engineering, History, Chemistry, etc.
Reply 427
Original post by Zweihander
Nothing wrong with Biology at UCL. To use an empirical example, on my spring week at Goldman, less than half of the people I met from UCL studied Econ or Stats. Rest were a mix of IMB, Engineering, History, Chemistry, etc.

is imperial engineering courses generally considered better? transferring from an A*AA course to an ABB course seems unwise....
I have been lucky enough to visit different trading floors.

Met a plethora of people...some have done accounting and finance, some have done history, some have done economics, maths, I even met one guy on JP Morgan trading floor who didn't even go to university, just went to work for the b of e for a few years and landed the job...

i met 1 guy at Goldman who went to Birmingham business school and spent a few years at a hedge fund previous to landing the GS job...

I'm going into my next year of degree , and will be applying to internships. I might not be in a target university, but if I can get a first overall, and smash the assessment centres if I'm fortunate to get into them...I will give it my best shot....

Currently studying accounting and finance, straight As at A level in physics chemistry and biology...

Hell, I even know 1 guy who got laughed at in an MS interview thinking he had to have gone to a target uni...

So guys, it doesn't matter where you go... work your backside off, train hard, be as mentally sharp as you can be. The cream always rises to the top.

My two cents.
Original post by UnderlyingFeeling
I have been lucky enough to visit different trading floors.

Met a plethora of people...some have done accounting and finance, some have done history, some have done economics, maths, I even met one guy on JP Morgan trading floor who didn't even go to university, just went to work for the b of e for a few years and landed the job...

i met 1 guy at Goldman who went to Birmingham business school and spent a few years at a hedge fund previous to landing the GS job...

I'm going into my next year of degree , and will be applying to internships. I might not be in a target university, but if I can get a first overall, and smash the assessment centres if I'm fortunate to get into them...I will give it my best shot....

Currently studying accounting and finance, straight As at A level in physics chemistry and biology...

Hell, I even know 1 guy who got laughed at in an MS interview thinking he had to have gone to a target uni...

So guys, it doesn't matter where you go... work your backside off, train hard, be as mentally sharp as you can be. The cream always rises to the top.

My two cents.

sorry i was just wondering whether you saw any icma centre students at the SW?

I've applied there to do finance and investment banking in october, and I was interested in a possible career in trading. Given that i work extremely hard throughout the degree and network like crazy lol would i have a chance at S&T or even IBD at a BB bank?

or even others like SocGen or even prop houses such as optiver or tibra?
Reply 430
Original post by misterb123
sorry i was just wondering whether you saw any icma centre students at the SW?

I've applied there to do finance and investment banking in october, and I was interested in a possible career in trading. Given that i work extremely hard throughout the degree and network like crazy lol would i have a chance at S&T or even IBD at a BB bank?

or even others like SocGen or even prop houses such as optiver or tibra?

only ICMA guy i can recall was BO.
Original post by KLL
only ICMA guy i can recall was BO.

looks like ive my work cut out for me... lol

thanks anyways
Reply 432
at a US BB this summer, IBD:

3 oxford
3 cambridge
3 LSE
3 UCL
2 Durham
1 Imperial
1 Warwick
1 Bristol & 1 Notthingham (both with international background)

That's all for UK uni. So now you have your answer : without a top 10 uni this is going to be very tough imo...
Original post by coco12
at a US BB this summer, IBD:

3 oxford
3 cambridge
3 LSE
3 UCL
2 Durham
1 Imperial
1 Warwick
1 Bristol & 1 Notthingham (both with international background)

That's all for UK uni. So now you have your answer : without a top 10 uni this is going to be very tough imo...

Anyone from Australia?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 434
Original post by Zweihander
Anyone from Australia?

No, why ?
Original post by coco12
No, why ?

Citi?
I don't know that much about IB, but I've heard of a number of people who attended universities like Hull, Kent, Surrey, and Brunel who got well-paid positions in the field.

Though I imagine they must've been quite exceptional.
Reply 437
IB sucks, get into another area in finance.

Also the banks love to play God so they will deliberately F up the selection criteria every now and then to keep the little grovellers and wannabes on their toes.

Like " HEY HEY HEY, watch it MoFo, just cause you have your Oxbridge don;t mean Sh1i1t, we can and WILL take anyone we want"

Get used to it this is the kind of world you are walking into.

Tell an interesting story, back in the 90's in Singapore where i worked, almost any old clown with a econ degree could step into the industry.

We had guys from Essex, Exeter come straight into trading positions with big names and 5 years down the line they were HODs.

Sadly for you all, not anymore, they cotten on to that,
Original post by orca92
I'm sure there was an article or something a few months back where it talked about the banks having to target a smaller number of universities. They tiered like this:

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial

LSE, UCL, Warwick

Everything else

I would link the article, but i haven't got it saved.....

http://news.students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-16753-startRow-11

I think this is the article your on about.

If you want to look at an even more heated debate around universities, check out the comments at the bottom and the outcry george from hedge funds started :smile:.
This more recent article suggests LSE gives a serious leg up into IB:

http://news.students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/newsandviews_item/newsItemId-29203

Latest

Trending

Trending