The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by LutherVan
This more recent article suggests LSE gives a serious leg up into IB:

http://news.students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/newsandviews_item/newsItemId-29203

True that, but at least they're trying to be humble about it

"But one LSE student who has secured an investment banking position says that, while the school's prestige and networking opportunities offer an advantage over most universities, it's largely on a par with Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. "
Original post by Focus08
True that, but at least they're trying to be humble about it

"But one LSE student who has secured an investment banking position says that, while the school's prestige and networking opportunities offer an advantage over most universities, it's largely on a par with Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. "

Yep, he is being humble, but LSE gives a severe leg up for IB only matched by Oxbridge due to its historic reputation, quality of students, focus and location.
Yep, he is being humble, but LSE gives a severe leg up for IB only matched by Oxbridge due to its historic reputation, quality of students, focus and location.

I think we've had debates about this before, and though I fully agree, are you even a university student? I ask this only because I have aksed multiple times and you seemed to avoid the answer before, if so, then I apologise for the implications on your opinions
Original post by Peaches182
I think we've had debates about this before, and though I fully agree, are you even a university student? I ask this only because I have aksed multiple times and you seemed to avoid the answer before, if so, then I apologise for the implications on your opinions

Yes, I am a student and try and be very unbiased about my opinions. The latter is the point that needs to be focused on.
Yes, I am a student and try and be very unbiased about my opinions. The latter is the point that needs to be focused on.

It just seemed like other posts you've made about the subject, you said the article makes a very strong case for LSE, when actually it made a strong case for all the top 6. LSE got an obvious mention as it always does, but I dont think anyone has ever debated LSEs standing amoungst IB employers
Original post by Peaches182
It just seemed like other posts you've made about the subject, you said the article makes a very strong case for LSE, when actually it made a strong case for all the top 6. LSE got an obvious mention as it always does, but I dont think anyone has ever debated LSEs standing amoungst IB employers

You are correct that the article gave a strong case for 6 universities (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick) and had a special mention for another 6 (KCL, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh), but it also said:

"LSE is best almost by a happy accident, and not necessarily just because of the calibre of students," he claims. "The university has close ties to the City and pushes its students towards a career in finance, while Oxbridge colleges are more generalist. There's also the fact that the subjects are more quantitative and the opportunity for networking with traders, sales people and bankers much greater because they're in the same city."

It is suggesting LSE is even better than Oxbridge for IB jobs but I somehow struggle to believe. I think those are the Top 3 anyway.
You are correct that the article gave a strong case for 6 universities (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick) and had a special mention for another 6 (KCL, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh), but it also said:

"LSE is best almost by a happy accident, and not necessarily just because of the calibre of students," he claims. "The university has close ties to the City and pushes its students towards a career in finance, while Oxbridge colleges are more generalist. There's also the fact that the subjects are more quantitative and the opportunity for networking with traders, sales people and bankers much greater because they're in the same city."

It is suggesting LSE is even better than Oxbridge for IB jobs but I somehow struggle to believe. I think those are the Top 3 anyway.

yes i read the article, I think the point of the thread was to ask about if top 20 is good enough, not "are the top three or four that every one talks about still the top three or four". Saying LSE is best for investment banking is like saying jessica alba is quite good looking.....well, obviously.
I dont go to a top 20 university and I am going to be massive in the world of finance, bigger than Blankfein, Bernanke, Paulson, Soros etc.
Its not even funny how rich I am going to be by the age of 25; there will be a sub-forum linked to this in my name.

To cut a long story short, I am proof that you dont need to go to one of those ones. I eat excellence and **** glory.
Yes there is a high correlation between the top 10 unis and investment banking however don't count even non top 20 uni's out.

I met someone at a Barclays Capital recruitment evening in September who went to the same university I just graduated from - Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh. He started working in BarCap in 2008 immediately after graduating. Don't forget this was during the recession. Of course Lehman Bros collapsed after he started but landing a FO grad job at a BB is impressive after graduating from a university that has only this year broke the top 25.

I also have a friend who has landed a FO summer internship at JP Morgan - he too is at Heriot Watt.

The key? Get involved and get good grades.

I do disagree with the way the 'system' is set up. So unless you know you want to be a banker before you apply to uni you could end up disadvantaged. There is even the argument that banks are taking the smartest and brightest - those that could go on to be excellent doctors/engineers/physicists etc... The high starting salaries are just too tempting and let's be honest - the work at an IB does not require as much intelligence as say being a doctor etc... At the same BarCap event I met someone in his final year of Vet School and he no longer wanted to be a vet - he wanted to be a banker.
Reply 449
Original post by The Banker
Yes there is a high correlation between the top 10 unis and investment banking however don't count even non top 20 uni's out.

I met someone at a Barclays Capital recruitment evening in September who went to the same university I just graduated from - Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh. He started working in BarCap in 2008 immediately after graduating. Don't forget this was during the recession. Of course Lehman Bros collapsed after he started but landing a FO grad job at a BB is impressive after graduating from a university that has only this year broke the top 25.

I also have a friend who has landed a FO summer internship at JP Morgan - he too is at Heriot Watt.

The key? Get involved and get good grades.

I do disagree with the way the 'system' is set up. So unless you know you want to be a banker before you apply to uni you could end up disadvantaged. There is even the argument that banks are taking the smartest and brightest - those that could go on to be excellent doctors/engineers/physicists etc... The high starting salaries are just too tempting and let's be honest - the work at an IB does not require as much intelligence as say being a doctor etc... At the same BarCap event I met someone in his final year of Vet School and he no longer wanted to be a vet - he wanted to be a banker.

It actually amazes me how well that uni does; i see Heriot-Watt people at days/events quite often and they do so much better than unis round the same area of league tables etc.
Original post by orca92
It actually amazes me how well that uni does; i see Heriot-Watt people at days/events quite often and they do so much better than unis round the same area of league tables etc.

Agreed. They are now rated third in the UK for economics, which is unbelievable. I studied at Edinburgh university too and I have to say, in terms of teaching, Heriot-Watt blows it out the water. The lecturers at Edinburgh have no passion and no personality, in my opinion. Heriot-Watt is the opposite.
Reply 451
What about Exeter University? Its in top 20 in all league tables and proves to be a very good uni, but for some reason no one seems to mention it...is there a reason for it?
One of my friends saw a keele graduate at jp morgan i think on their insight day :s-smilie:
Reply 453
One question. Why why and why. Why would all of you, or all those who go to IB want to waste 10 years of their life by being slaves with no free-time (nor sleep-time) and then be sitting at home with so much money that you don't even know what the heck to do with your life? The only people you will know at the age of 30 (at retirement) are your business contacts and those relatives who haven't given up getting in touch with you through the past decade.

All these talented people who get into these top schools should use their knowledge for something more interesting and maybe more exciting. It's money that makes them blind...but is a life of an IB banker worthwhile? even after retirement...Also, retirement is not that easy when you gotta choose between retirement or accepting your next promotion with a million dollar salary. So at the age of 30, you either become a slave for another 10 years or start living a life I described above.

Or, you get lucky, and have an awesome life.
Original post by erklam
One question. Why why and why. Why would all of you, or all those who go to IB want to waste 10 years of their life by being slaves with no free-time (nor sleep-time) and then be sitting at home with so much money that you don't even know what the heck to do with your life? The only people you will know at the age of 30 (at retirement) are your business contacts and those relatives who haven't given up getting in touch with you through the past decade.

All these talented people who get into these top schools should use their knowledge for something more interesting and maybe more exciting. It's money that makes them blind...but is a life of an IB banker worthwhile? even after retirement...Also, retirement is not that easy when you gotta choose between retirement or accepting your next promotion with a million dollar salary. So at the age of 30, you either become a slave for another 10 years or start living a life I described above.

Or, you get lucky, and have an awesome life.

10 Years? You're very optimistic most people quit/resign after 2-3 years.

Very few of my friends from 08/09 grad classes are still around and it happens year on year on year. 2 years and most people move on. Many leave finance altogether and do something else. Very very few people stay in the industry for long.

As for why people do IB ?

1) Peer pressure - people get sucked into thinking its what they want

2) The money - relatively high bonus early on

3) Exit opps - but then most people move into more punishing jobs like Private Equity or another ibank as an associate or go to B-school (you can get into a top b-school working for L'Oreal or any other F500 but most people dont realise this)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by unknown demon

Very few of my friends from 08/09 grad classes are still around and it happens year on year on year. 2 years and most people move on. Many leave finance altogether and do something else. Very very few people stay in the industry for long.

Would they have much money built up to do something with?
Im guessing other companies would like IB on the CV?

Is that for IDB? Or S&t? I'm guessing the former.
Original post by BulgeBracket
Would they have much money built up to do something with?
Im guessing other companies would like IB on the CV?

If you're not living with your parents then barely anything. If you are, still not much or even enough to get a mortgage. Its really not as easy as many people make it out to be.

Other companies do. Head of strategy at Gucci regularly hires people from Goldman/McK as an example. It ultimately depends on what you want to do. It'll help but IB is not the only path to glory and this comes from many discussions I've had with CEOs of boutique houses or head traders/sales people. Many favour the entrepreneurial route which I suspect is why a few members of this forum are now running their own shop.
Original post by CityTrader
Is that for IDB? Or S&t? I'm guessing the former.

Investment Banking or S&T.

No idea about brokers but my friends at ICAP are a good laugh on a night out.
Other companies do. Head of strategy at Gucci regularly hires people from Goldman/McK as an example. It ultimately depends on what you want to do. It'll help but IB is not the only path to glory and this comes from many discussions I've had with CEOs of boutique houses or head traders/sales people. Many favour the entrepreneurial route which I suspect is why a few members of this forum are now running their own shop.

True enough, I always knew the enterprising route can be much more lucrative minus taking so much ****, but I will be in the U.S. and will have to get hired to satisy visa requirements (dont think I have the legal right to set up a company)

My dream is to try and build up decent savings from financial services and set up my own independent film company. (It would take at least a decade of hard work and promotions to get enough cash, though!)

I've heard that theres a good rate of progression after a few years to PE and VC?Not sure what those working conditions are like either, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending