The Student Room Group

How do you know when you've done 'enough' revision?

I'm doing AS maths (AQA) this year, and i'm not naturally good at maths haha, so i'm dreading it, but how do you know when you've definitely covered a topic?

Also for anyone who's done AS maths on AQA any tips or advice? Other than the book, and past papers what other resources are there?
Reply 1
when you can look at a question and not think you have no idea where to start, you just go straight in and solve it. You flick through your box and that chapter looks way more familiar than all the other ones in the book that you haven't covered
Reply 2
When you smile at the difficult questions and find the easy ones a waste of time. :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by gff
When you smile at the difficult questions and find the easy ones a waste of time. :tongue:

haha, i don't think i've ever smiled at a maths question regardless of difficulty ><
When you're consistently getting 90%+
When you can answer the questions, surely? :rolleyes:
When you start remembering the answers to the past papers before you've answered the question.
Original post by hazelsaurus
I'm doing AS maths (AQA) this year, and i'm not naturally good at maths haha, so i'm dreading it, but how do you know when you've definitely covered a topic?

Also for anyone who's done AS maths on AQA any tips or advice? Other than the book, and past papers what other resources are there?

My opinion:

If you can read threads on TSR where other students are struggling, and you can see the errors they're making and understand (and explain!) why they're wrong, you're probably ready for the exam.

(Also, when you can get full marks on all the past papers, and answer any question on the topic)
Reply 8
I have never done 'enough' revision. I just run out of time and have to go to the exam. And usually it turns out OK.
when you are reciting maths in your sleep?
If you're getting all/ most of the questions on the practice papers right then you're probably ready, it's best to keep up revision right up to the exam anyway though!
Reply 11
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
When you're consistently getting 90%+

I would need so much help to get that :/ Honestly I suck at maths, I'm trying really hard at the moment but it just doesn't feel like it's clicking or anything... i'm stuck on surds at the moment, when i asked the teacher for help, he made me feel like a dick for not knowing it, considering i haven't done maths in 2 years i thought he'd be more understanding.
Reply 12

I'm stuck on surds at the moment, when i asked the teacher for help, he made me feel like a dick for not knowing it.

You can freely ask for help here, you will definitely receive it, and if somebody makes you feel uncomfortable - you can call him a troll and ignore him completely. :biggrin:
(That's just a part of TSR's beauty)
Reply 13
I would need so much help to get that :/ Honestly I suck at maths, I'm trying really hard at the moment but it just doesn't feel like it's clicking or anything... i'm stuck on surds at the moment, when i asked the teacher for help, he made me feel like a dick for not knowing it, considering i haven't done maths in 2 years i thought he'd be more understanding.

When there is a concept which I do not understand, then I know that I need to devote a lot of time to it. There have been things which have been real head-scratchers to me for long periods of time, but it's only by spending lots of time on it, by going through examples, doing practice questions, and possibly asking people for help or doing research, that you can break through that mental barrier. It's natural to reach a ceiling which is seemingly impenetrable, but if you keep trying, you'll get through. Take baby steps; break everything down; simplify. Especially for A-level Maths!

Sometimes it is scary to ask for help. Teachers can be lazy and unhelpful sometimes, and asking them questions can be intimidating if they aren't really approachable. But there are other ways to find help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
When you have done the past papers so many times it freaks you out if the questions are asked in the wrong order
Reply 15
You'll only know once you sit the exam and get the results I'm afraid, everything else is guesswork. :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest