The Student Room Group

My brain is doing tasks in the backgdound

I am doing hours of exam questions for revision everyday.

Everyday from last Sunday, my brain is doing all the tasks in the background and doing nothing in the foreground.
Maybe because my brain had adapted to this revision therefore moved it to the background so it can be done without thinking. So now revision is in the daily tasks list for the background.
It's like a computer or a machine.
Revision used to be active in the foreground, but now it's active in the background.

So in the foreground, I feel like no revision been going on even tho I have done tons of questions.

And I want to find a way to move revision to the foreground, so I can feel like I've been doing revision and then I can be sure that my grades will improve.

Background = Subconscious
Foreground = Conscious
(edited 11 months ago)
What do you mean by background and foreground?? Like, you can't focus on revision??
Reply 2
Original post by kaorimiyazono
What do you mean by background and foreground?? Like, you can't focus on revision??

not doing revision in the conscious, but instead the subconscious
Original post by Z_GAMER
not doing revision in the conscious, but instead the subconscious

I don't think I understand what you mean still. Do you mean that your brain is thinking about other things while you revise??

In any case, maybe this is a sign that you either know everything really well or that you need to switch up your revision strategies. How have you been revising so far and what subjects are you taking?
Reply 4
I don't think I understand what you mean still. Do you mean that your brain is thinking about other things while you revise??

In any case, maybe this is a sign that you either know everything really well or that you need to switch up your revision strategies. How have you been revising so far and what subjects are you taking?

no, my brain doesn't think about other things.
it's like when the computer screen is on, no tasks running in the foreground and there's tasks running in the background.

I've been doing banks of questions and re-taking notes from textbooks.
I'm taking physics, maths and chemistry. All a-level.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Z_GAMER
no, my brain doesn't think about other things.
it's like when the computer screen is on, no tasks running in the foreground and there's tasks running in the background.

I've been doing banks of questions and re-taking notes from textbooks.
I'm taking physics, maths and chemistry. All a-level.

Ohh okok. Maybe your brain is getting tired. Does it feel like zoning out? I get this during social situations when my social battery runs out. I feel spaced out and like I'm not really there but I'm still able to listen to the conversation and sometimes take part when necessary. A break to recharge is what I need to fix it and feel like I'm actively taking part in society again. It might be worth taking a day off.

Breaks, sleeping enough, eating healthily and doing other activities is really important for preventing burnout and making your revision feel efficient. So make sure you revise in chunks, meet up with friends, go on walks or exercise, do hobbies etc. instead of revising for the whole day. That will also help your brain recharge and get ready to be more active in your next revision session.

Do you feel like you're still processing what you're revising? Doing banks of questions is great, especially if you use the mark schemes to really understand where you're going wrong and using that to identify what topics you should focus on more. One step further would be doing these under timed conditions with no notes. At this point, re-taking notes feels a bit too passive though. Try use the brain fart method instead: write down everything you remember about a topic from memory with no notes, read the textbook/your notes and then add to it in a different colour with the textbook/notes covered, then add to it in a third colour with the textbook/your notes open. That might be a bit more engaging.
Reply 6
Ohh okok. Maybe your brain is getting tired. Does it feel like zoning out? I get this during social situations when my social battery runs out. I feel spaced out and like I'm not really there but I'm still able to listen to the conversation and sometimes take part when necessary. A break to recharge is what I need to fix it and feel like I'm actively taking part in society again. It might be worth taking a day off.

Breaks, sleeping enough, eating healthily and doing other activities is really important for preventing burnout and making your revision feel efficient. So make sure you revise in chunks, meet up with friends, go on walks or exercise, do hobbies etc. instead of revising for the whole day. That will also help your brain recharge and get ready to be more active in your next revision session.

Do you feel like you're still processing what you're revising? Doing banks of questions is great, especially if you use the mark schemes to really understand where you're going wrong and using that to identify what topics you should focus on more. One step further would be doing these under timed conditions with no notes. At this point, re-taking notes feels a bit too passive though. Try use the brain fart method instead: write down everything you remember about a topic from memory with no notes, read the textbook/your notes and then add to it in a different colour with the textbook/notes covered, then add to it in a third colour with the textbook/your notes open. That might be a bit more engaging.

yes, zoning out!

One of the factors for this is not sleeping enough. I've been sleeping late and waking up early these days, so that I can get sufficient revision done.
I will need to go to bed early, but have to understand that i'm not missing out any revision when I go to bed early.

I feel like i'm still processing a minority of it. I will try to do the questions under timed conditions with no notes, haven't tried this in a while.
That's seems to be a good revision strategy.

Thank you very much! I will be in the zone after recharging and following the tips you suggested! :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7

what is the 2nd colour used for?
The 1st colour is for notes from memory.
3rd colour is for adding from textbooks...
Original post by Z_GAMER
yes, zoning out!

One of the factors for this is not sleeping enough. I've been sleeping late and waking up early these days, so that I can get sufficient revision done.
I will need to go to bed early, but have to understand that i'm not missing out any revision when I go to bed early.

I feel like i'm still processing a minority of it. I will try to do the questions under timed conditions with no notes, haven't tried this in a while.
That's seems to be a good revision strategy.

Thank you very much! I will be in the zone after recharging and following the tips you suggested! :smile:

Sleeping is sooo important!! I cannot stress this enough. When you sleep, your brain solidifies the revision you've done throughout the day and also clears out chemicals from your synapses which can be damaging if they build up. Sleeping is not a waste of time I promise you it's just as important as the the revision itself so do not sacrifice your sleep for revision.
Original post by Z_GAMER
what is the 2nd colour used for?
The 1st colour is for notes from memory.
3rd colour is for adding from textbooks...

Sorry I didn't make that very clear haha.

1. Notes from memory in the 1st colour.
2. Read the textbook/notes and then put them aside.
3. Write what you can remember from the read through using a 2nd colour.
4. 3rd colour to add in extra notes while actively using the textbook.

I hope that helps!! Good luck with your revision :smile: You've got this!!
Reply 10
Sleeping is sooo important!! I cannot stress this enough. When you sleep, your brain solidifies the revision you've done throughout the day and also clears out chemicals from your synapses which can be damaging if they build up. Sleeping is not a waste of time I promise you it's just as important as the the revision itself so do not sacrifice your sleep for revision.

I will not sacrifice my sleep for revision anymore now.

I just got to remember this to understand sleeping is not waste of time:
10 Topics revision and little sleep means I only 5 topics are in the long term memory.
7 topics revision and more sleep means all 7 topics in the long term memory.
Reply 11
Sorry I didn't make that very clear haha.

1. Notes from memory in the 1st colour.
2. Read the textbook/notes and then put them aside.
3. Write what you can remember from the read through using a 2nd colour.
4. 3rd colour to add in extra notes while actively using the textbook.

I hope that helps!! Good luck with your revision :smile: You've got this!!

thx!
Just tried it out today for chemistry as I'm too focused on physics and maths these days and I really need to start revision for chemistry!
It helps a lot! One of the best!
Now I know what I can recall for the chemistry topic and add extra notes that I forgot and reinforce some of the knowledge along the way!
Reply 12
I'm doing a lot better today!
I'm back in the zone and hopefully it will stay this way till the exams are over!
Reply 13
I find listening to COD MW Soundtracks (original games not the remastered games) helps me to be active and in the zone more.
Reply 14
Original post by Z_GAMER
I am doing hours of exam questions for revision everyday.

Everyday from last Sunday, my brain is doing all the tasks in the background and doing nothing in the foreground.
Maybe because my brain had adapted to this revision therefore moved it to the background so it can be done without thinking. So now revision is in the daily tasks list for the background.
It's like a computer or a machine.
Revision used to be active in the foreground, but now it's active in the background.

So in the foreground, I feel like no revision been going on even tho I have done tons of questions.

And I want to find a way to move revision to the foreground, so I can feel like I've been doing revision and then I can be sure that my grades will improve.

Background = Subconscious
Foreground = Conscious

Heya!
That's very interesting :cool: If it works for you then continue it! I would also recommend doing some past papers under exam conditions to see how well your revision method is doing. If it helps, Study Mind has free resources that can further help you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Yayy I'm glad it was helpful!! Good luck with your exams!!! You'll eb amazing :h:

Original post by Z_GAMER
thx!
Just tried it out today for chemistry as I'm too focused on physics and maths these days and I really need to start revision for chemistry!
It helps a lot! One of the best!
Now I know what I can recall for the chemistry topic and add extra notes that I forgot and reinforce some of the knowledge along the way!

Quick Reply

Latest