The Student Room Group

What's the secret to getting a first class if I achieved a 2:2 in first year?

So yeah, you've read the title and think it might be impossible. However, I've seen videos online where people have done the impossible and want to know how it can be done? In the field of robotics engineering, I was able to achieve a 2:2 in first year because I was slacking and had poor mental health and imposter syndrome. I understood that I had a bad revision technique and time management but I don't want to screw my self over with a bad degree in the next 2 years. I was told that first year doesn't count, but does if you're doing a placement. However, I chose the hard road and won't be doing a placement year and will only just focus on completing the degree .

So, what should I do now to achieve that first class degree and list anything I should do outside and inside of university and I will follow it. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
So yeah, you've read the title and think it might be impossible. However, I've seen videos online where people have done the impossible and want to know how it can be done? In the field of robotics engineering, I was able to achieve a 2:2 in first year because I was slacking and had poor mental health and imposter syndrome. I understood that I had a bad revision technique and time management but I don't want to screw my self over with a bad degree in the next 2 years. I was told that first year doesn't count, but does if you're doing a placement. However, I chose the hard road and won't be doing a placement year and will only just focus on completing the degree .

So, what should I do now to achieve that first class degree and list anything I should do outside and inside of university and I will follow it. Thank you :smile:

Hi,
My advice would be to consider what went wrong in first year and try and tackle those areas. I'd definitely also recommend seeking wellbeing support with your university if you haven't already.
In my experience, one thing that's really important is to stay motivated, so it's useful to think about what makes gives you motivation. This might be spending time outside or with friends, or even just reminding yourself of your goals and rediscovering what you love about robotics.
If you feel that you had bad revision techniques try different ones such as group revision, online videos and quizzes, or practise papers, and consider starting revision earlier. You could make flashcards or practise extra problems at the end of each week. You've probably already been told this a million times but I've found that revision timetables really do help as revising regularly is so much better than trying to cram. However, don't make your timetable unrealistic as then you'll just feel down when you can't stick to it.
Another thing I'd say is to try and utilise your classmates, lecturers and other teaching staff as much as possible. Ask questions whenever you don't understand something. The sooner you address issues the better. Also spend time actively exploring additional resources such as journals, textbooks and videos. Engage in practical projects where you can and attend talks run by your department.
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
That sounds like a cool field. I don't know anything about your field. It sounds hard though, kudos to you. However I can relate to not doing that great in my first year overall due to mental health in my 2nd semester. But it also doesn't count for us first year so I'm relieved. I don't know about jumping from 2:2 to first class realistically. That's a big jump. Ofcourse have it in mind you want first class and work towards it. Go to tutors, course mates for help if you don't understand anything. Make sure you spend enough time meeting and understanding the criteria for any coursework,project or exams. Postponing doesn't give you much time/flexibility. Is your note taking active or lazy/lousy. Do you know all the revision techniques out there, have you tried checking which ones work for you best?It sounds self explanatory but that's very important. I went above and beyond in my first semester and mainly got firsts. You have to do everything in your might to meet the requirements and put excellent effort in. If you give somewhat mediocre work, you probably will get 2:2. Or 2:1 if your work is satisfactory/good but not great.
Reply 3
there's no secret. it's the difference between having a problem, and acting to fix it

you already acknowledge your problems and that gives you several places to start (eg not slacking will probably pull you up to a 2.1)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending