The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
I never realised the Debussy preludes were so difficult!
I feel like having a tinker on the piano tommorow, I haven't played for over a year now, gained grade 5 a couple of years ago but will be very rusty now, are there any recommendations as to any pop/rock sheet music is available online to download free? Thanks
Original post by Rich_183
I feel like having a tinker on the piano tommorow, I haven't played for over a year now, gained grade 5 a couple of years ago but will be very rusty now, are there any recommendations as to any pop/rock sheet music is available online to download free? Thanks

If you want I can send you something I have on my PianoFiles page. Most of that is pop/rock. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
If you want I can send you something I have on my PianoFiles page. Most of that is pop/rock. :smile:

Wow, you have loads!! Thanks alot, btw is it free to sign up? How do I download the actual sheet music? Cheers
Original post by Rich_183
Wow, you have loads!! Thanks alot, btw is it free to sign up? How do I download the actual sheet music? Cheers

Yeah, it's free to sign up. Then you just send messages to other users requesting / arranging a trade - there's nothing on the site to download (the site only has the lists of sheets that each user has available), it's all done by users emailing each other. :smile:
Reply 1865
Anyone??

'Hi guys - I'm currently using the 2009-2010 ABRSM piano book for Grade 8, do any of you guys know the last dates I can enter for my exam? (As I think for piano - the 2010 syllabus can last for two years?)'
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

Well guys i have recently got myself a keyboard and i am quite good at playing sheet music. The thing is, i would love to be able to play any song by ear without needing the sheet music. I have been trying to play along by listerning to songs on the radio etc however i can never seem to get it right. I have been looking on youtube for any videos on how to play any song by ear but i can't seem to find anything apart from useless promotional videos for people selling off their piano courses. So if theres anything, anyone could show me or provide me with to get started or any videos on youtube that could help me achieve this, that would be great. I haven't got money to get piano lessons...

Thanks
Original post by rurounikenji
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

Well guys i have recently got myself a keyboard and i am quite good at playing sheet music. The thing is, i would love to be able to play any song by ear without needing the sheet music. I have been trying to play along by listerning to songs on the radio etc however i can never seem to get it right. I have been looking on youtube for any videos on how to play any song by ear but i can't seem to find anything apart from useless promotional videos for people selling off their piano courses. So if theres anything, anyone could show me or provide me with to get started or any videos on youtube that could help me achieve this, that would be great. I haven't got money to get piano lessons...

Thanks

As far as I know, what you're asking isn't really something that can be taught, only practised. You could start by trying it for songs that you do have the sheet music (but obviously don't use it except to check). Or if you want to be methodical you could practise using single intervals first - have something randomly play major 3rds, augmented 4ths, etc. and have you identify them until you can get that right consistently. I don't think there are any easy short-cuts in doing this unfortunately.
not sure if this is really the place to put this but hey ho, would love some feedback and suggestions from you fellow pianists! :rolleyes:

It was a live performance so please excuse the small errors :cool: hah!
One of my favorite pieces!
Reply 1869
Just learnt to play I Am The Doctor from Doctor Who yesterday so I'm really excited about that :biggrin: Been playing for hours today! Don't worry, don't worry, I play classical too :smile: I've taken my Grade 5 but I'm about Grade 6 standard. My favourite piece is Fur Elise by Beethoven (cliché I know but if a guy played that for me I would just crumble :love:). It was my first ever aim when I started piano about 7 years ago and, finally, last year I learnt to play the entire piece. I love a bit of Tchaikovsky as well - currently doing the Baby Yaga for Grade 6 which is very interesting to say the least :smile:
Hi, I've been playing piano for a few years now, on and off. I started out with the grading system, but due to health reasons I had to quit. I recently started teaching myself (with the assisstance of some great teaching books ^^) after a 2 year absence and have been doing so for about 6 months. Although I cannot play them yet, my favourite piano pieces are Prokofiev's piano sonata no. 4 movement 2, Clair De Lune by Debussy and Chopin's Ballade No. 1.

I'm thinking about writing a ballade myself. Has anyone got any tips for conveying narrative?
Reply 1871
:hi:
Etoile, grade 4 standard (Hampshire music service...:rolleyes:). Top 3 classical pieces: Debussy- first arabesque, Granados- Oriental from 12 danzas espanolas & Smetana - Vltava. Also love Nyman, Einaudi, Yann Tiersen & Desplat :h:
Grade 8

Favourite pieces to play:

Liszt: Liebestraume No. 3

Chopin: Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2

Chopin: Revolutionary Etude Op. 10 No. 12

Yes, I love Chopin!
Hi, doing Grade 5 at the moment. :smile:
Favourite song to listen to

Dvorak - Symphony No. 8, 3rd movement.
Got Grade 8 coming up in a month :yucky: really wishing I had more time!
Afterwards, I really want to learn Chopin's nocturne. Anyone else done it?
Reply 1876
Original post by mintaddiction
Got Grade 8 coming up in a month :yucky: really wishing I had more time!
Afterwards, I really want to learn Chopin's nocturne. Anyone else done it?

Which one, this?

Do there exist pianists who do not worship Chopin without reservation? :tongue:
Original post by j.alexanderh
Do there exist pianists who do not worship Chopin without reservation? :tongue:

That's like a scientist who doesn't admire Einstein :rolleyes:.

Even though Chopin is my piano role-model, the person who has influenced my own style the most is Bach.

:smile:
Reply 1879
I've just learnt this piece over the course of around two months-ish. It's so ahead of its time:

Best prelude ever!

But when they took down Richter's interpretation I was just like :wtf:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest