The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE and GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got 5 A*s 5 As and a B . I want to apply to a maths based course, maybe consider economics or a financial course (maybe even just maths). How are my GCSE's ? I didn't think there would be a problem but this thread suggests there may be? The subject I got A*s in isn't maths will this reflect badly too ?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Original post by Nathan_oH
I got 5 A*s 5 As and a B . I want to apply to a maths based course, maybe consider economics or a financial course (maybe even just maths). How are my GCSE's ? I didn't think there would be a problem but this thread suggests there may be? The subject I got A*s in isn't maths will this reflect badly too ?

Just do A level Maths and Further Maths and another 2 strong a levels.
Reply 22
Original post by mcp2
Just do A level Maths and Further Maths and another 2 strong a levels.

Doing maths, further maths, business and philosophy.

Im aware that the other two aren't the strongest, but i got 2 out of 4 right? :P
Reply 23
Doing maths, further maths, business and philosophy.

Im aware that the other two aren't the strongest, but i got 2 out of 4 right? :P

I strongly suggest doing a 5th strong one on your own, economics or a science. It's a lot of work but you can put it on your PS you're self teaching. LSE is ridiculously competitive. I only got in because, well, they must have liked me for some reason.
Reply 24
Original post by mcp2
I strongly suggest doing a 5th strong one on your own, economics or a science. It's a lot of work but you can put it on your PS you're self teaching. LSE is ridiculously competitive. I only got in because, well, they must have liked me for some reason.

Right now im happy with the workload and social life mix I have. I dropped physics, riduclous hard and not as interesting as I thought. Our school doesn't offer economics but next year it might, I may drop philosophy and pick up economics, will this be any good?

I do a lot of extra-curricular stuff such as debating, lesson leading, sports etc.

At the end of the day its just a dream and I'm sure I will get in elsewhere if I don't get in here! Deciding what I actually want to do will be good -.0

Congratulations on getting in ! How do you find it? Apparently the social life isn't great there? Also what are you studying?
Reply 25
they are proper gcse nazis, mostly A*s, with a few As is what you need tbh
Reply 26
I went to PP this summer and it was held at LSE. At the end of the day, someone (I forget who) from LSE came and spoke to us and she said that they do look at GCSE's and if you're thinking of applying to them and you have a C or under in any of your GCSE's you'd need a good reason as to why that is.
Reply 27
Right now im happy with the workload and social life mix I have. I dropped physics, riduclous hard and not as interesting as I thought. Our school doesn't offer economics but next year it might, I may drop philosophy and pick up economics, will this be any good?

I do a lot of extra-curricular stuff such as debating, lesson leading, sports etc.

At the end of the day its just a dream and I'm sure I will get in elsewhere if I don't get in here! Deciding what I actually want to do will be good -.0

Congratulations on getting in ! How do you find it? Apparently the social life isn't great there? Also what are you studying?

Definitely try and get another strong a level. those ECs are good :smile: got to chase the dream right? LSE is...boring. Not like other unis thats for sure. Have started classes yet though. I'm studying Maths with Econ.
Reply 28
Original post by mcp2
Definitely try and get another strong a level. those ECs are good :smile: got to chase the dream right? LSE is...boring. Not like other unis thats for sure. Have started classes yet though. I'm studying Maths with Econ.

For sure, what did you do and what where you grades? I want to work in london doing banking/investment banking, actuary or something similar. It's annoying, i'd love to go to a massive party uni but obviously will go to the uni best for what I want.
Original post by mcp2

For sure, what did you do and what where you grades? I want to work in london doing banking/investment banking, actuary or something similar. It's annoying, i'd love to go to a massive party uni but obviously will go to the uni best for what I want.

Can you go into finance in London with a geog degree at LSE?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I had my conexions interview today, and she said that I should go to LSE to do Geography. However, my GCSE grades aren't as good as the stereotype lse guy/girl (10 A*s etc) , Im predicted about 5A* tops 1 A and about 3 Bs. Do you think my conexions adviser is speaking BS, and should apply to UCL/KCL instead?

tyvm

If your connexions person said you would be good enough to get into LSE then you must be able to. They know what they are talking about.
Try looking on the website for the course you want and see what they say about GCSE grades.
Original post by miscellaneous123
On what basis is this? I'm sure people from sh*t schools will do substantially worse and still be considered.

Not at all - you clearly have no idea about LSE.. Its based on going to LSE, and having loads of Econ friends, no of which have below the grades I said.
Original post by Emma:-)
If your connexions person said you would be good enough to get into LSE then you must be able to. They know what they are talking about.
Try looking on the website for the course you want and see what they say about GCSE grades.

Well she went on the UCAS website and pointed it out. I dont think she had any other knowledge of the uni, I think she just looked at the entry requirments (AAB) and thought I could do it...
Reply 33

Self studying two AS levels (including FM), and 12A* at GCSE plus an A in Additional Maths. Do I need to continue FM to A2?
Reply 34
Maybe you should focus on finishing your GCSEs as opposed to stressing out about which university you will apply to. I know, I've done what you're doing - it achieves nothing bar distracting you from work.
Reply 35
Ok, so I only got 3A*s, 3As at GCSE, but nothing lower than a B... and two As and a B at AS, but I'm PREDICTED all As for A2, and for anthropology's average asking grade is AAB. Do you think I don't have a chance then?
Reply 36
(Oh and I wouldn't sweat it about GCSEs, I wasn't predicted any A*s - and I got 3A*s, so you definitely shouldn't worry!)
Original post by lanatic
Ok, so I only got 3A*s, 3As at GCSE, but nothing lower than a B... and two As and a B at AS, but I'm PREDICTED all As for A2, and for anthropology's average asking grade is AAB. Do you think I don't have a chance then?

Although the asking grades are AAB, most applicants have significantly higher.
Original post by AppleBobbing
Although the asking grades are AAB, most applicants have significantly higher.

Do you think id get an offer for geog?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Do you think id get an offer for geog?

I have no idea, I'm not an admissions tutor :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending