The Student Room Group

going to a northern uni is so much better than going to a southern one!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LOL!
Reply 21
And coming to Scotland is even better!
Lmao. I'm northern and go to a 'northern university' but it's full of southerners to the extent that I barely register I'm even in the north while I'm there.

Cute thread though.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I'm as far north as one can get.

Haha, same. I live in Aberdeenshire too (going by your location). A little too much granite for my taste, the greyness is horrible on rainy days. But it's a fairly nice place to live. :biggrin:
I live in the Midlands and go to a uni in the north where there are lots of Southerners :smile: Best of both worlds :biggrin:

I haven't noticed a difference between the friendliness of northern people and southern people tbh, pretty much everyone at uni has been very welcoming and friendly regardless of where they're from.
I'm as far north as one can get.

Aberdeen is not the furtherst north you can get WRT university.
So you're basing this on one northern university and no southern universities?
Reply 27
If we're such a friendly bunch, why do I never see these charming, helpful people out and about when I'm in Manchester?
OP, everyone behaves like that on freshers week. Everyone wants to make friends, so they talk to everyone. In a few weeks, it will have probably pretty much stopped. Seriously, I'm at a very southern uni, and people do that here too. Have you ever been to a southern uni?

Also, weren't you the one who made a bitching thread about people smoking in their rooms in halls? Sorry if that wasn't you.
Your inference that all northern unis are great from one data point is gonna be weak bro.
I'm Northern and have lived in the south for the past 11 years. I honestly think this generalisation is so untrue. It's completely down to the individual, I've met some strangers from the South who are really open, confident friendly etc and likewise I've met some really snooty Northerners who would give you dodgy looks if you tried to converse with them.
Original post by DarkSenrine
Absolute *******s. Lecturers come from all over the globe. I go to a northern university and I have only one english teacher. He's from London. Admittedly I do maths, but I fail to see how it's possible that most of your lecturers are local.

Northern people are hardly friendlier than southern people.

The notion of the north-south demarcation is a completely false one. If it does exist, then it's the northerners that invented it. The conclusion is probably arrived at through this completely tortuous reasoning:

1) I went to the London for the day. It was fantastic! The sights were amazing, but it's nothing compared to Yorkshire. After all, Yorkshire is perfect in every single sense. But the people in London are really unfriendly. When I got on the bus no one tried to talk to me :frown:.

2) All people from London are horrid.

3) I'm going to extend that to the entire South-East and South-West. In fact, I think I might even throw in the channel islands.

4) Southerners are horrible. Northerners are so much more friendly and worldly and are real salt of the Earth types. I'm so glad I'm from up North and not a stuck up Southerner. <3

Unemployment, and to some extent poverty, is a lot more prevalent up north. More people have nothing to do, so of course they're going to be more partial to a pint and a nice conversation on a bus.

In London, a huge proportion of people have very fast paced jobs with very long hours. Most of them have to get up at 5 o clock every morning to sit in some horrible little train for the morning commute to work. They have no choice but to do this since they face tremendous pressures to pay off their debts on their expensive properties.

If you see your children for 2 hours a day, have to work for 14 hours a day, are cramped in some dinghy little office doing a job you absolutely hate, of course you're not going to be friendly. Everyone's stressed, everyone's depressed. The least of their worries to chat trivialities to a tourist in the street.

Go to Dorset, Devon, Somerset and you'll get people who are just as friendly, if not more as up north.

The flaws in human character that you've pointed out that are apparently inherently exclusive to southerners can be found everywhere.

The north isn't special. It's just like the rest of the country. Only the people are much more balanced - they have a chip on BOTH shoulders.

This.
Original post by TheSownRose
Aberdeen is not the furtherst north you can get WRT university.

Then what is?
Reply 33
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
OP, everyone behaves like that on freshers week. Everyone wants to make friends, so they talk to everyone. In a few weeks, it will have probably pretty much stopped. Seriously, I'm at a very southern uni, and people do that here too. Have you ever been to a southern uni?

Also, weren't you the one who made a bitching thread about people smoking in their rooms in halls? Sorry if that wasn't you.

no i havent been to a southern uni but comparing my first day day at college to the first day at uni in the classroom we were in, all the points I raised applied.

About the smoking thread- that was in no way a bitchy remark about people smoking, i'm a very easy going guy if people want me to do something within reason I'll do it. I just hate, and I mean hate, having to smell smoke in my room if I signed up for a non smoking halls.
that is all.
Reply 34
I'm northern, live in south yorkshire and my boyfriend lives in Liverpool so ive experienced both places. I agree theres lots of friendly people but then there is quite abit of scum rough people who are obv not friendly. From what ive heard in the last few years people always say southerners are stuck up and not friendly, ive never actually heard anything good about southern people. So yeah the north has a bit of scum but all in all, much nicer! :smile:
Then what is?

UHI (aka, Millenium Institute).
Original post by icba-92-icab
no i havent been to a southern uni but comparing my first day day at college to the first day at uni in the classroom we were in, all the points I raised applied.

About the smoking thread- that was in no way a bitchy remark about people smoking, i'm a very easy going guy if people want me to do something within reason I'll do it. I just hate, and I mean hate, having to smell smoke in my room if I signed up for a non smoking halls.
that is all.

I didn't mean it came across as bitchy, I just use bitching as another word for complaining, sorry if I offended you. I think your point on that thread is relatively legitamate.

I think people do go to freshers with a different mentality to going to college, but if you're enjoying yourself then good for you. But I'm litterally at one of the most southerly universities, and I'm finding it the same, so I don't think it's a north/south thing.
I can't really say that Liverpool area's and te likes are actually northern to me (i'm a northern girl born and bred) but i mmust agree that i find people here (compared to when i lived down south) MUCH more friendly and you can ask a stranger in the street for help and they will ... but thats just on individual experience :smile:
Most people I know are staying in the North for university; perhaps this is why. :colonhash:

I'm most certainly not, I'm keen to leave! :awesome:
Reply 39
Original post by icba-92-icab
but the point is I've been living down south my whole life and comparing northerners and southerners so far, I don't think I ever want to head back down! My thread was about the social side of things and the way people from different ways behave- I should have made that more clear.

A University environment is nothing like real life. Quite possibly a good deal of people at Liverpool University aren't even from the North.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending