The Student Room Group

How hard is M3?

Is it worth self studying this module, with the main reason for it being that if I balls up FP2 and/or FP3 in summer, i can swap out the worse of the two for M3, thus potentially pulling me up from a B to an A/A to A*.

I am a physics applicant, got an A in normal maths A-level last year (resitting C3 to scrape the 4 marks i need for an A*) and found M2 probably easier than M1 (not sat it yet, but studied most of it over summer)

O and edexcel btw, though not sure how much it changes between boards
Reply 1
I did M3 and it's challenging in a way you'll enjoy. If you enjoyed M2 you'll fall in love with M3. It feels like proper problem solving and scenarios you could actually imagine. If you did not enjoy M2, chances are you'll hate M3.
*In before as hard as my erection*
Reply 3
Isn't FP2 compulsory for further maths?
Original post by Nathan_oH

One of FP2/3 is, but only one. So if one goes wrong, which could happen as they sound so hard, then M3 could be useful.
Reply 5
Original post by bistonut
One of FP2/3 is, but only one. So if one goes wrong, which could happen as they sound so hard, then M3 could be useful.

Oh I see, well from my friends that talk about physics/engineering they seem to think the more mechanics the better. I personally hate application and prefer the core part of it, if it's something that interests you and your going for physics/engineering degree I'd go for it!!
Original post by Nathan_oH

Depends on the exam board but usually only FP1 is compulsory

EDIT :

Just checked the source and it states that you have a choice between FP2 and FP3 for edexcel board.

So you are partly correct, second module is compulsory but they give you a choice between the two.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
M3 on edexcel is very challenging and is quite a bit harder than M2
Reply 8
Original post by bistonut

I believe that M3/FP2/FP3 all are fairly equal in terms of difficulty.
M3+ modules on Edexcel are really hard. just ask Rahul.S in august with his uuu :colone:
Reply 10
I'd recommend M3 and M4. M3 is pretty much conservation of energy and momentum (and resolving), but M4 is when it starts to get exciting with rotational mechanics! :surprise:
Reply 11
c3 is a bitch...

but one thing iv learned is all the questions are the same... plenty of practice questions and then c3 becomes easy

... im lazy thats why i dont like it xD
Reply 12
Original post by Extricated
M3+ modules on Edexcel are really hard. just ask Rahul.S in august with his uuu :colone:

:colone:
Reply 13
M1 = M2

M3 = M1 + M2

ish
Original post by Vazzyb
M1 = M2

M3 = M1 + M2

ish

So twice as hard then?
Reply 15
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
So twice as hard then?

yes

i like on facebook where u can just like something instead of having to reply to people and say 'yes' lol, cant do that on tsr, no one knows who repped them

Quick Reply

Latest