The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Travelling from Durham to London

Would be good to know the best route to travel from durham to central london.
By best i mean fastest and cheapest
Do you prefer taking a train to newcastle and from there flying to heathrow/gatwick or just take a train to kings cross? i know its 3hours by train but not sure about flying

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Misha 938
Do you prefer taking a train to newcastle and from there flying to heathrow/gatwick or just take a train to kings cross? i know its 3hours by train but not sure about flying

Thanks

Cheapest will be Megabus, but this is the longest. You can get the Megabus to/from Sunderland and Newcastle.

Easiest is hop on a train at Durham station, hop off when it terminates at Kings Cross. Being the East Coast Mainline trains run regularly.

To get to Newcastle Airport you will need to take the train to Newcastle and the metro to the airport. To get to Durham Tees Valley airport (if there are flights to/from London) you'll need to get a taxi to the airport. With flying on top of that it's just not worth it. Also, think of the environment :smile:

If the time doesn't bother you then coach or Megabus. If you want to a combination of cost and time get the train with a young person's railcard (assuming you're eligible for one).
(edited 12 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
about £27 from Durham to London (advanced booking) with Y-P railcard, but the price goes up as well as down.
Reply 3
Original post by Misha 938

Thanks

Train to King's Cross definitely - it's 2hrs 45 mins - 3hrs, usually you don't have to change, and the station is a 10 minute walk from the city centre.

Compared to taking a train to newcastle, metro (underground) to the airport, checking in 2 hours before your flight, flying, train from Heathrow to London which would take a horrific amount of time and be really bad for the environment too (and expensive!).

Quick Reply

Latest