The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Would I fit in at St Andrews?

''
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes. To all of the above. Its not one big clique. Just like life.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
It's not too bad, everyone dresses the same though.
Oh, shush. Of course you'll fit in at St Andrews :smile: yes, there are the public school yah types, but they are definitely not the majority and you'll find a group of friends you're happy with soon enough, we have all sorts here :smile:
Re. modern languages resources- I do Russian so even more obscure, and I'm currently panicking trying to put together a presentation on a subject about which there are NO BOOKS in the library :frown: I found it to be fine though when I did Spanish, and with French-Spanish-Italian I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have a problem :smile:
Reply 4
Are you able to get the resources though in some way? And does the library refurb mean that there will be more books? (:

Oooh and how have you found the teaching for languages?
Reply 5
Original post by languagelover
Are you able to get the resources though in some way? And does the library refurb mean that there will be more books? (:

Oooh and how have you found the teaching for languages?

They've stuck a bunch of glass panels in on the ground floor, the rest of the library looks the same. The seating capacity has actually decreased (which is really rather stupid?), and as for the increase in books, I think thats ongoing.

If the resources are hard to find, I'm sure the teacher will take this into account. As for language teaching (I took a Russian module as well), it was second to none. Be prepared to work hard though. Russian was so intense.
Reply 6
Original post by Oxy
Be prepared to work hard though. .

I seem to spend my whole life working nowadays, i'm used to it!

Original post by Oxy
Russian was so intense.

Was it enjoyable though? :smile:

Yes! In general for languages, the group sizes are smaller so you get to know your classmates and lecturers better, there's a much nicer atmosphere than being stuck in a lecture with a hundred other people... especially in Russian where everybody knows everybody. Highly recommended :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Bella_trixxx
Yes! In general for languages, the group sizes are smaller so you get to know your classmates and lecturers better, there's a much nicer atmosphere than being stuck in a lecture with a hundred other people... especially in Russian where everybody knows everybody. Highly recommended :smile:

How many people are generally in a class/ lecture? (:
Reply 9

It was definitely. I just couldn't keep up with my Computer Science modules at the same time. The class sizes for first year lectures in languages tend to be quite large, say 30/40 people. But the Oral/tutorial session tend to only be about 8-10 max.
How many people are generally in a class/ lecture? (:

Thinking back to when I did Spanish in first year, we had four classes a week with a group of about 10/12 people and one big lecture a week with maybe 100?
Oooh i've just seen on the St Andrews website, that for french you actually put on plays!

Thinking back to when I did Spanish in first year, we had four classes a week with a group of about 10/12 people and one big lecture a week with maybe 100?

Out of interest, do you get any one on one help? Or is this just an Oxbridge thing. (Cambridge reject and proud - means I can go to St Andrews instead :wink:)

How many oxbridge rejects are there in St A?
(edited 12 years ago)
Oooh i've just seen on the St Andrews website, that for french you actually put on plays!

Out of interest, do you get any one on one help? Or is this just an Oxbridge thing. (Cambridge reject and proud - means I can go to St Andrews instead :wink:)

How many oxbridge rejects are there in St A?

Almost everyone is an Oxbridge reject- I too am a Cambridge reject *sniff*.
There are no one to one classes, but tutors are always contactable by email and all of them have office hours for 2-4 hours every week, where you can drop in and ask about anything. :smile:
I too am a Cambridge reject *sniff*.

Which college did you apply to? I went for Gonville and Caius! (: I believe I was let down by my less than ideal AS levels, although all the hideous Bs were about 2 marks of an A :/ (Unfortuntaly My friend had a serious life-changing accident a day before the exams and the stress from the inability to do AS maths sent me slightly mental!)

i've been predicted A*A*A, which I should get fairly easilly.

I'm resiting general studies too...just a thing of pride :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Which college did you apply to? I went for Gonville and Caius! (: I believe I was let down by my less than ideal AS levels, although all the hideous Bs were about 2 marks of an A :/ (Unfortuntaly My friend had a serious life-changing accident a day before the exams and the stress from the inability to do AS maths sent me slightly mental!)

I still ended up with ABBBB but I was not impressed...i've been predicted A*A*A, which I should get fairly easilly.

I'm resiting general studies too...just a thing of pride :wink:

New Hall... I thought it would be the easiest to get into. I WAS WRONG :frown:
Reply 15
Where are you from in nottinghamshire? Then i would find out if you would fit in :P
I was ter so i'm quite pleased about the latter aspect)Naturally, I l and it's fairly small seize? (Although i'm from a small town in cummingonsisthe wn in the North Seasity was at all "clicky" due to th), balls, formals, little cake shops and pretty architecture. Thankyou! And second question, are tdo well inovetraditions - (as lohere endents Modern Lough resources (eg. books) around to ng as I don't dro wonding if the univere hi lvl of private/pubic schoot spuanguages?

In response, St Andrews is an overwhelmingly afro-carribean university. i don't know if you'd fit in. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Original post by Anon ._.
Where are you from in nottinghamshire? Then i would find out if you would fit in :P

Around Southwell/ Newark area. About an hour from Nottingham. In Southwell, the graffiti is in latin. Whereas Newark is nice but has plenty of chavs and feral youths. :wink:

Ummmm why does that matter?
New Hall... I thought it would be the easiest to get into. I WAS WRONG :frown:

I guess I just went for one I liked! It was central and had an epic library
Reply 19
Around Southwell/ Newark area. About an hour from Nottingham. In Southwell, the graffiti is in latin. Whereas Newark is nice but has plenty of chavs and feral youths. :wink:

Ummmm why does that matter?

I am from Nottingham, so yeah if you are from Southwell you will no doubt fit in -.- There aren't that many chavs in newark lmao, you ought to come to the other end of Nottinghamshire, then you will be surprised :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending