The Student Room Group

Second Gap Year and Reapply or Bath?

Hi all,

So I ended up taking a gap year after sixth form due to financial and mental health issues towards the end of my studies. I managed to get a 41 on the IB (776 at HL with psych, phsyics, and english lang&lit), but didn’t get into any of my top choices (king’s, ucl and st andrews). I did, however, get into Bath. I have visited Bath and… I really don’t think it is for me.

I struggled with my mental health so much more over my gap year (I felt like I was wasting away), but I looked forward to the prospect of uni. Given that I don’t think I’d really fit in at Bath, would a second gap year be a better idea?

During my first I became a trustee of a major local mental health charity (ironic, I know), so if I were to reapply would this be suitable justification for taking a second gap year?
Reply 1
Absolutely. If you reject the offer from Bath, you can reapply to Unis any year you want to. And it sounds to me like you understand what would be in your best interests, rather than rushing into a degree because you feel you should go now.

I would definitely plan how to use your time though, so you don't feel like you are wasting away and hopefully the trustee role will help with that. Perhaps planning how to explore different universities with an eye to finding the ones that would make a better match for you. Strategise your next year! Find out what support different Unis offer for mental health support. Open days have clearly helped you suss out Bath so try more of those.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by swissfamilypeace
Hi all,

So I ended up taking a gap year after sixth form due to financial and mental health issues towards the end of my studies. I managed to get a 41 on the IB (776 at HL with psych, phsyics, and english lang&lit), but didn’t get into any of my top choices (king’s, ucl and st andrews). I did, however, get into Bath. I have visited Bath and… I really don’t think it is for me.

I struggled with my mental health so much more over my gap year (I felt like I was wasting away), but I looked forward to the prospect of uni. Given that I don’t think I’d really fit in at Bath, would a second gap year be a better idea?

During my first I became a trustee of a major local mental health charity (ironic, I know), so if I were to reapply would this be suitable justification for taking a second gap year?

Even if you take a gap year there is no guarantee that you will get offers from these 3. They are extremely competitive. What if you take a 2ng gap year and have rejections again. What do you do then. It is a personal decision that only you can take.

My concern is that you might be thinking this way because you think you can do better than Bath and it isnt for you. What is it about Bath that makes it not right for you. Why is St Andrews right for you as it is an extremely small place much smaller than Bath whilst your others are in a massive city. What about rejecting Bath and using extra if it is the place or is it really a hankering because you think you are better and should get offers from elsewhere.

The reality is that London universities are heavily over subscribed and numbers have increased in places like LSE and Kings in recent years. St Andrew is very competitive, There is no guarantee you will get an offer from these 3 next year and you could end up in the same place.
Reply 3
Original post by swissfamilypeace
Hi all,

1. Which degree subject are you a prospective applicant? :s-smilie:

2. Bath is excellent, it has a 'fine' reputation. :smile:

3. St. Andrews is a cold and dark place and has little to do, so it could become depressing. :frown:

4. What if you get rejections in the third gap year? :s-smilie: Why not apply to Royal Holloway, Queen Mary and Goldsmiths, which are all University of London universities?! :smile:

5. What is your ultimate career aim?
Original post by thegeek888
1. Which degree subject are you a prospective applicant? :s-smilie:

2. Bath is excellent, it has a 'fine' reputation. :smile:

3. St. Andrews is a cold and dark place and has little to do, so it could become depressing. :frown:

4. What if you get rejections in the third gap year? :s-smilie: Why not apply to Royal Holloway, Queen Mary and Goldsmiths, which are all University of London universities?! :smile:

5. What is your ultimate career aim?

I applied for / received an offer for psychology. Applying for other unis in london is a good plan and I will if i go the gap year route :biggrin:

And i want to go into clinical research!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending