The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Alt/subculture at St Andrews?

Possibly the weirdest question ever but here we are. I’m applying for masters programs at the moment, and St Andrews happens to have the most perfect course for me.
However I know the reputation of St Andrews is that it’s small, with little nightlife, and pretty posh. I went to another stereotypically “elitist” uni for undergrad so I’m no stranger to the type of people I’d likely meet at St Andrews, and I have no judgements myself, but I’m simply worried I may struggle to be accepted or integrated into the small student body in a small town where social activity seems would be really important. I’m an extrovert, so making good friends is really important to me.

I have dyed hair, I’m into the punk scene - I’m really into alternative creative subcultures and it shows on me visually in my hair and fashion. Is there a community of others like me at St Andrews, or am I looking at a uni that just might not be the best fit?

I love hanging out with ALL sorts of people, like me or not, I’m just nervous that that sentiment won’t be shared and I’ll end up a lonely.
Original post by Anonymous
Possibly the weirdest question ever but here we are. I’m applying for masters programs at the moment, and St Andrews happens to have the most perfect course for me.
However I know the reputation of St Andrews is that it’s small, with little nightlife, and pretty posh. I went to another stereotypically “elitist” uni for undergrad so I’m no stranger to the type of people I’d likely meet at St Andrews, and I have no judgements myself, but I’m simply worried I may struggle to be accepted or integrated into the small student body in a small town where social activity seems would be really important. I’m an extrovert, so making good friends is really important to me.

I have dyed hair, I’m into the punk scene - I’m really into alternative creative subcultures and it shows on me visually in my hair and fashion. Is there a community of others like me at St Andrews, or am I looking at a uni that just might not be the best fit?

I love hanging out with ALL sorts of people, like me or not, I’m just nervous that that sentiment won’t be shared and I’ll end up a lonely.

Hi,

I saw your post and wanted to say that there is 100% a place for you in St Andrews.
For its size, St Andrews has a surprisingly large alternative scene, so dyed hair and piercings won't get you any more stares here than it would in a city in my opinion. I was facing the same reservations as you before coming here, the Universities social reputation can off-putting, if it wasn't for me coming across Rocksoc during the freshers fayre I doubt my opinion of the town would've changed. It was surprising but so exciting to find a group of people who shared the sames tastes in music and fashion as I did in the middle of this small town University.
I instantly became a member and after a year I joined the committee and after 2 years I am now the current secretary for the St Andrews Rock and Metal Society and I couldn't be happier with where I've found myself within the community.
Rocksoc has been going strong for a solid 30+ years now so there's really no getting rid of us, alternative culture is a staple in this town and its here to stay. As a society we host events weekly to bi-weekly ranging from our club nights which are themed to a specific musical sub-genre (in the past we've had emo night, nu-metal, classic rock, grunge, and brit-pop to name a few), to live music events like our open mic events and live gigs, we host band finding events and pub quizes and we're also moving towards hosting sober daytime events like jam sessions and hangover cafés post club night.
Even if the music isn't necessarily your thing, although it seems like it is, we welcome people from all alternative backgrounds regardless. St Andrews also has a large queer scene and I know its perceived lack there of was a common reservation amongst our other attendees and members before they arrived. It can be reassuring to know that these spaces exist and that you're welcome here, because you are.

I hope that helps somewhat! If you have any questions you can email us and I'll get back to you or feel free to take a look at our socials (at rocksocsta on ig and RockSoc on fb) to get an idea of what we're about if you think St Andrews is for you :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending