The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Hi all! Been a member for just over a year now (but unfortunately only got my ID card just after marathon and the wedding :frown: )

Just got an offer for medicine in london so looking forward to (hopefully) see some interesting stuff if there's another HCP around. Question: can I be a member of LINKS and my normal unit (which is also in london) at the same time?

Also, on the issue of the uniform, i'd much rather look like police than a paramedic whom the public expect much more from
Original post by aljabiraa
Hi all! Been a member for just over a year now (but unfortunately only got my ID card just after marathon and the wedding :frown: )

Just got an offer for medicine in london so looking forward to (hopefully) see some interesting stuff if there's another HCP around. Question: can I be a member of LINKS and my normal unit (which is also in london) at the same time?

Also, on the issue of the uniform, i'd much rather look like police than a paramedic whom the public expect much more from

nothing stopping you training with LINKS while remaining a member of a 'home division' even if they are in the same county / region

the whole 'looking like a paramedic ' thing has been done to death - the public generally don't have clue what paramedics can and can't do

as an AFA you can

- use Airway Adjuncts + suction
- use a BVM and supplemental O2
- Defibrilate ( you can defib as a FA )
- give analgesia ( FAs can give paracetamol )
- treat hypos
- treat anaphylaxis ( assuming the patient has their own epipen)
as well as provide a full range of first aid and casualty handling interventions

plus on a lot of duties you will have Crew and/or HCP backup even if the duty doesn't explcitly require them ( spent many a duty working as a Nurse / ETA in a FA or AFA slot)
Reply 82
I'm finally getting some new uniform! Dunno if it'll be THE new uniform but at least it's something.

Welcome to the thread and society aljabiraa!
Original post by aljabiraa
Hi all! Been a member for just over a year now

Anyone been on any duties lately?

My ends been a bit dead and no duties coming anytime soon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello, member of the cadets for nearly five years, attended the adult division for one and one month from officially loosing my beret!

Got measured up for the new uniform on Wednesday :smile: Went with two of the short sleeved green shirts as I'm told the polo shirts are poor quality.
Reply 84
Original post by MrAdamBakewell
Hello, member of the cadets for nearly five years, attended the adult division for one and one month from officially loosing my beret!

Got measured up for the new uniform on Wednesday :smile: Went with two of the short sleeved green shirts as I'm told the polo shirts are poor quality.

Wish I'd been in the cadets :frown:

I bet I'd be way more confident in myself if I had been.

PS welcome and what treating level are you currently?
Original post by KingGoonIan

I'm still just a regular First Aider, some of the fancy AFA bits require you to be 18 but hopefully I'll get around to gaining the qualifications having sat in on the training sessions already :smile:
Reply 86
I'm still just a regular First Aider, some of the fancy AFA bits require you to be 18 but hopefully I'll get around to gaining the qualifications having sat in on the training sessions already :smile:

I'm an AFA but now there's new roles for an AFA I'm just gonna drop down to FA with some extras like medical gases and epi-pens (although they're not called epi-pens anymore because they fell out with the NHS or something).

Anyway I wish you the best mate and tell us about any duties you do. I haven't had any in aaaaaages and I'm craving a bit of action. I may be going out with the night angels soon though that'll be fun.
I'm an AFA but now there's new roles for an AFA I'm just gonna drop down to FA with some extras like medical gases and epi-pens (although they're not called epi-pens anymore because they fell out with the NHS or something).

Anyway I wish you the best mate and tell us about any duties you do. I haven't had any in aaaaaages and I'm craving a bit of action. I may be going out with the night angels soon though that'll be fun.

It certainly sounds alot better than sitting though hours of pantomimes which is the only duties that I've been doing recently, one stewardess getting a paper cut was my only action in the five times that I watched it :L
Reply 88
It certainly sounds alot better than sitting though hours of pantomimes which is the only duties that I've been doing recently, one stewardess getting a paper cut was my only action in the five times that I watched it :L

Wow that sounds alreet if you like pantos. In my area we do a lot of amateur rugby matches but the season has finished now. We rarely do football because they don't really need us tbh. It'd be cool to get to go to a Panto for free every now and again. When you're 18 you should check with a local Uni if they need help with their SU nightclub, they almost always do in my area and that's great experience.

two edged sword, especially if you are in a county where 'StJohnYouth' adult leaders / management sees it as a separate organisation and not an integral part of SJA.

We ( the membership as a whole) shall have to see how regionalisation and the the removal of some of the perverse and/or gold plated county policies effects getting under 16s and 16+17 year old members on duty and involved in service delivery.

Epi -pen or other adrenaline auto injectors is not and has never been an 'extra' since the policies confirming that there is no legal impediment to adrenaline 1:1000 being given by *any person* as it's subject to schedule 7 exemption from medicines act regulation in relation to administration (i.e. it;s still a PoM for purchases of prescribing, sale and supply - but it can be given by any person , normally injectable medications can only be given by the patient or a Health professional).

current clinical policy reproduces the text HQC 87-06 as amended with regards to medications which can be given by members.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by zippyRN
two edged sword, especially if you are in a county where 'StJohnYouth' adult leaders / management sees it as a separate organisation and not an integral part of SJA.

We ( the membership as a whole) shall have to see how regionalisation and the the removal of some of the perverse and/or gold plated county policies effects getting under 16s and 16+17 year old members on duty and involved in service delivery.

Epi -pen or other adrenaline auto injectors is not and has never been an 'extra' since the policies confirming that there is no legal impediment to adrenaline 1:1000 being given by *any person* as it's subject to schedule 7 exemption from medicines act regulation in relation to administration (i.e. it;s still a PoM for purchases of prescribing, sale and supply - but it can be given by any person , normally injectable medications can only be given by the patient or a Health professional).

current clinical policy reproduces the text HQC 87-06 as amended with regards to medications which can be given by members.

Well I'm allowed to be an FA with epipen and med gases...
Well I'm allowed to be an FA with epipen and med gases...

epi pen is NOT an add on it;s core FA competency .
Reply 92
Original post by zippyRN
epi pen is NOT an add on it;s core FA competency .

Oh I see why didn't you just say that lol? I got very confused with that legislation mumbo jumbo.
Oh I see why didn't you just say that lol? I got very confused with that legislation mumbo jumbo.

Ian you need to start getting your head around that sort of thing ...
Reply 94
Original post by zippyRN
Ian you need to start getting your head around that sort of thing ...

I've never learnt about any of that stuff so don't stand a chance understanding it atm. Maybe this time next year I'll have a clue like.
Reply 95
My SJA division came 2nd in the Waitrose Community Matters scheme (that one with the tokens) and we're gonna get just under £300! Great news for us.

Anyone else had any fundraising successes recently?
Reply 96
Party Paramedics is on tonight guys and it's featuring my county (Surrey) and has members from my division! A great advert for SJA - watch out for a guy called Matt. :wink:
New to TSR and SJA to be honest but have done a few events but nothing spectacular.
Sorry if this question has been asked before but I can't look through the whole thread. If I volunteer what kind of things would I be doing? Do you need a lot of confidence?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by 35mm_
Sorry if this question has been asked before but I can't look through the whole thread. If I volunteer what kind of things would I be doing? Do you need a lot of confidence?

A lot of it will be dealing with minor issues and as a new member you will be given as much time as you need to feel confident about treating people. You should never be left alone and you should always be accompanied by another experienced member.

You may just be filling in a PRF form, communicating with casualties and just being there to make sure they are ok and comfortable. I spend most of my time at rugby matches giving out ice packs and advising casualties and their families on what to do when they get home, where the nearest hospital is and what to do if so and so happens. Also spend some time giving out entonox which is always a laugh lol.

Recently signed up to accompany the night angels to assist them with revelers who have had a little too much to drink, am looking forward to that. The bloodiest wound I've dealt with was where a kid got cut along the head by a stud in a rugby match and the blood was coming out really fast.

It really depends on where your division is based. My duties are mainly sports related. If your division is based near a football ground you may be providing first aid cover for the football fans. If you go through the thread a bit I think you'll find some more examples. I hope you decide to join up it's a great experience!

Oops wrote too much again...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending