The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicholasng925
I'm not sure how employers treat Cass grads generally, but in the actuarial profession, Cass grads are highly regarded by the employers as Actuarial Science at Cass Business School is indisputably one of the best in the UK, besides Heriot-Watt.

I see, You received an offer for Actuarial already i suppose? Going to firm it?
Original post by porcelaindoll
You're so luck whitelily!!! I want to be in LONDON toooo! 10-12 interviewers omg, thats really scary. But I guess its worth it..being nerve-wrecked and all haha! I'm gonna try for it in March. Anyway did u apply for PSC too?

Kinda, but I wasn't very confident of getting it. I can't exactly remember what happened.
All the best (: Hopefully you get the chance to go to UCL too! (:
Original post by whitelily29
I'm guessing that you're an A level student?
I took a gap year, so I actually got the scholarship last year. The bond is crazy, but it's all worth it to go to UCL (and be at the centre of London!):biggrin:

Academics, definitely. But they want to see some passion. I'm an IB student, with a score of 43, and 7s at Bio, Chem and Math HL. I was offered an interview less than 3 days after I submitted the application online. The interview was kinda nerve-wrecking. One of my friends went for it the year before, so she told me what to expect. There were like 10-12 interviewers, so that was daunting. They asked me mostly about my personal quality essay. Like they talked about my CCA, and I showed them my Extended Essay (an individual PW in IB).

They did ask me what I knew of pharmacy. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to apply to pharmacy. A month plus before the interview I had already firmed my place at UCL for medicinal chemistry. That's why I took a gap year, cause withdrawing from 2011 meant I had to reapply in the 2012 cycle.

After the question, I really thought "that was it.", that there was no way they'd offer it to me. But the next day, they called me and asked me to attend a one day internship at NUH to learn more about pharmacy. I did that, and a week later, they sent me the letter to offer me the scholarship.

I'm interested in applying for the MOH scholarship! :biggrin: Do i apply via PSC or brightsparks or other channels? I always thought this scholarship was a ministry scholarship so it's under PSC, but at the official healthscience scholarship website it says applications are open in March? And do I have to write an essay?
Reply 2843
Hi guys, who is located outside London? It's hard to find a Singaporean who is not in London.
Reply 2844
Original post by jaenvin
Hi guys, who is located outside London? It's hard to find a Singaporean who is not in London.

I doubt this. Maybe active Singaporeans, but definitely not hard at all.
Reply 2845
Original post by r.a.i.n.e.

Original post by r.a.i.n.e.
anyone happen to be studying art disciplines?
ill be heading to london to study fashion from this sept!

Where are you studying Fashion at? Central Saint Martins? London College of Fashion?
I am studying art disciplines, but I will only be going to University 2 years later, as I decided to take my A Levels there first before bumping head on into University.
Reply 2846
Original post by Narev

Original post by Narev
I doubt this. Maybe active Singaporeans, but definitely not hard at all.

Tell me about it. I am going to study outside London at a place called Slough. And no one, at least no Singaporean seems to be located there. It's quite a pity.
Original post by jaenvin

Where're you gonna be located at? I'm most prob headed to Manchester
Reply 2848
Oddly enough, Singaporeans don't generally use forums like TSR. But I'm not from London too, if that helps!
Original post by jaenvin

got an offer from bristol myself :smile: where are you headed at?
Original post by angelscape
I'm interested in applying for the MOH scholarship! :biggrin: Do i apply via PSC or brightsparks or other channels? I always thought this scholarship was a ministry scholarship so it's under PSC, but at the official healthscience scholarship website it says applications are open in March? And do I have to write an essay?

Oh no no, the one that I was offered is the MOH Holdings Nursing and Allied Health scholarship which has like 12/13 subjects. If you're interested in the MOH one, you'll probably end up at the ministry level, doing less of what you studied.

I did write an essay, which was pretty similar to my UCAS one.

The PSC essay is a completely different matter, have to answer the question they give.
Reply 2851
Original post by iamlovinit05

Where're you gonna be located at? I'm most prob headed to Manchester

I will be going to Slough. It's like this small, quiet place. What will you be doing at Manchester?
Reply 2852
Original post by sxftrevolution

Original post by sxftrevolution
got an offer from bristol myself :smile: where are you headed at?

Going to be at Slough. Its not that far from London, but still on the outskirts.
Original post by jaenvin
I will be going to Slough. It's like this small, quiet place. What will you be doing at Manchester?

Probably finance or econs. how bout you?
I got an offer from Bristol too for 2013 :smile:
Original post by whitelily29
Oh no no, the one that I was offered is the MOH Holdings Nursing and Allied Health scholarship which has like 12/13 subjects. If you're interested in the MOH one, you'll probably end up at the ministry level, doing less of what you studied.

I did write an essay, which was pretty similar to my UCAS one.

The PSC essay is a completely different matter, have to answer the question they give.

Just to clarify, the MOH Holdings scholarship and the MOH scholarship under PSC are completely separate? And that the MOH PSC scholarship will be less clinical and more management?
Reply 2856

Probably finance or econs. how bout you?

A Levels. I wanted to try it at a different place. A level students in Singapore look so stressed!
Original post by jaenvin
A Levels. I wanted to try it at a different place. A level students in Singapore look so stressed!

Oo i see. Which school are you from?
I see, You received an offer for Actuarial already i suppose? Going to firm it?

Several offers. Going to firm either Actuarial Science at Cass or MMORSE at Warwick, insurance be Actuarial Science at Heriot-Watt. How about you? :smile:
Original post by angelscape
Just to clarify, the MOH Holdings scholarship and the MOH scholarship under PSC are completely separate? And that the MOH PSC scholarship will be less clinical and more management?

Yupppp, to get the MOH one, you apply via PSC. The MOH Holdings one is via MOH Holdings.
I'm not sure about the less clinical and more management, but that's my understanding of it.

Quick Reply

Latest