The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sentiment
And me. I'm supposed to be a logical and intelligent human being. And yet it's amazing how long you can sit looking at a satsuma trying to ascertain how much damage it might do.

It just goes to show how deeply ingrained EDs are, we are actually able to ignore our rational minds. Ugh.
Original post by MelissaJayne
Possibly the wrong thread to post this in. :\ I'm sure you are beautiful and you say you have a boyfriend, so I am sure he thinks so too. You needn't go to any extremities. Don't punish yourself.

How is this the wrong thread to post in? I have an eating disorder and suffer from depression, was eight stone two years ago due to depression, piled on loads of weight last year and I can't seem to get healthy again.
Original post by FallonSmith
I just weighed myself today and I am 11st 4lbs. I'm 5ft 7 inches which I suppose is quite tall for a girl, but I've always had problems with my body image and right now I feel terriblly unhappily with the way that I look. My worst problem area is my stomach, as whenever I eat or drink anything I become really bloated and end up looking four month pregnant, it's embarrasing in public and I only feel confident when wearing baggy jumpers and tops. I'm not so worried about my legs apart from my fat thighs and cellulite, honestly don't feel attractive to my boyfriend. I'm trying to adapt my diet, cutting out white potatoes and white bread, pasta, rice and replacing these carbs with brown bread, brown rice, brown pasta. I'm wishing to lose two stone by June, but I don't know if it's plausible, I don't want to be hungry all the time. Please help me.

I might be in a minority here, but could you please spoiler your numbers (i.e. weight). I know that a lot of us find numbers a trigger.
Everyone else, please tell me if I'm out of line please.
Opened up to my flatmate about my behaviour today and she was quite shocked.

Still, it didn't stop me binging on loads of crap and suffering from the consequences later on! ****ity **** ****. Even walked outside in the freezing cold to curb my cravings and that helped, to a point :frown:! Think my problem is that I'm sitting in the kitchen as it is the only warm part of my flat :frown:...
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
I might be in a minority here, but could you please spoiler your numbers (i.e. weight). I know that a lot of us find numbers a trigger.

I weighed myself today and I was 11st 4lbs. So that's like 160kg I think.

I agree with spoilering numbers i.e calories, your weight, what you've eaten, if calories are included/ intake is particularly high/low.

If its I've only eaten X today, I feel I ought to do the same, if its you listing what you've binged on, i end up feeling on edge.

I'm mad, I'm aware. And can we not argue, i'm feeling on edge already and it doesn't help.

Original post by cowsforsale

Still, it didn't stop me binging on loads of crap and suffering from the consequences later on! ****ity **** ****. Even walked outside in the freezing cold to curb my cravings and that helped, to a point :frown:! Think my problem is that I'm sitting in the kitchen as it is the only warm part of my flat :frown:...

HUGGINGGGG. Isn't going to help much, but I'm trying dude, I'm trying. Do you eat stuff because its there, screaming EAT MEEEEE! Like the cake in Alice in Wonderland?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2746

I think it's really brave of you to open up to your flatmate :hugs:

I mean put a spoiler warning (like this

Spoiler

) around them. Because numbers are a huge trigger.
Reply 2748
How is this the wrong thread to post in? I have an eating disorder and suffer from depression, was eight stone two years ago due to depression, piled on loads of weight last year and I can't seem to get healthy again.

It's not that you're not welcome, quite the opposite in fact :smile: Just that some of us here are highly susceptible to certain triggers and you happened to mention the big three in a single post-weight, "fat", and extreme solutions to resolve an obsession with the former two. There's people at all stages of the eating disorder from the nigh-on fully recovered to those really stuck in the mud, and for those at greater risk you never know what reaction they'll have to something explicit. For example I'm a year in the early stages of recovery but approaching a transformation into a potentially worse ED. In future it may be best to spoiler anything related to these you think other sufferers might find uncomfortable in the [ spoiler ] text tags

Spoiler

For everyone else's reference, I think this should also apply to anyone with potentially triggering signatures? A little thought for others could do miracles, or at least avert a disaster. x

Also, while this thread is great for talking about feelings, experiences and coping in daily life with this additional difficulty, for a fairly obvious reason we try not to talk about food or dieting too much! [Shameless thread marketing ahead :tongue:] However for that I would recommend the Healthy New You thread which will help you find a sensible approach to not only reaching or maintaining a healthy weight but general health, fitness and well-being on top :smile:
'Course you can pop in here any time, no invitation necessary :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Spoiler them. As in, cover them up. Some of us here are in treatment, some of us are actively trying to get better and some of us aren't ready to get better yet, but this is a place where we support each other with the intention of at least moving towards trying to get better. It's not a place where we brag about how little we've eaten or what we weigh, and posts like that without a spoiler WILL trigger people. Everyone's welcome here and we'll try to help anyone, but you have to respect our situations.
Reply 2750
Spoiler them. As in, cover them up. Some of us here are in treatment, some of us are actively trying to get better and some of us aren't ready to get better yet, but this is a place where we support each other with the intention of at least moving towards trying to get better. It's not a place where we brag about how little we've eaten or what we weigh, and posts like that without a spoiler WILL trigger people. Everyone's welcome here and we'll try to help anyone, but you have to respect our situations.

This

I see. Well I haven't told anyone about my intention regarding weight loss because I'm embarassed and don't want to brag.
Original post by Riku
It's not that you're not welcome, quite the opposite in fact :smile: Just that some of us here are highly susceptible to certain triggers and you happened to mention the big three in a single post-weight, "fat", and extreme solutions to resolve an obsession with the former two. There's people at all stages of the eating disorder from the nigh-on fully recovered to those really stuck in the mud, and for those at greater risk you never know what reaction they'll have to something explicit. For example I'm a year in the early stages of recovery but approaching a transformation into a potentially worse ED. In future it may be best to spoiler anything related to these you think other sufferers might find uncomfortable in the [ spoiler ] text
tags

Spoiler

For everyone else's reference, I think this should also apply to anyone with potentially triggering signatures? A little thought for others could do miracles, or at least avert a disaster. x

Also, while this thread is great for talking about feelings, experiences and coping in daily life with this additional difficulty, for a fairly obvious reason we try not to talk about food or dieting too much! [Shameless thread marketing ahead :tongue:] However for that I would recommend the Healthy New You thread which will help you find a sensible approach to not only reaching or maintaining a healthy weight but general health, fitness and well-being on top :smile:
'Course you can pop in here any time, no invitation necessary :biggrin:

Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to say. Oh Riku, y u so eloquent?
Reply 2753
Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to say. Oh Riku, y u so eloquent?

Bane of an English degree, m'dear :redface:

Well done! IMO, opening up about your problems is the first major step towards recovery. :hugs:

Quoted and + rep for truth (and because I had rep left, and it let me rep you :eek:)
And if we seem to ignore your post, we promise we haven't done it deliberately. It's more a case it wasnt seen, or noone online at the time can really help much more than :hugs:
I have been suffering for around 6 years with some form of an eating disorder.

The past month hasn't been as bad as it was before, but it really gets me down at times.
Original post by Riku
Bane of an English degree, m'dear :redface:

I'm going to start campaigning for you to become PM or Health Secretary or something. You are ridculously inspirational. :colondollar:
(Was that creepy? I feel like that came out in a majorly creepy way!)
Original post by Over The Rainbow X
I have been suffering for around 6 years with some form of an eating disorder.

The past month hasn't been as bad as it was before, but it really gets me down at times.

That's an awfully long time to be feeling like this...we might not be able to help much here but we'll always do our best, even if you just want to rant or vent :smile:
I'm going to start campaigning for you to become PM or Health Secretary or something. You are ridculously inspirational. :colondollar:
(Was that creepy? I feel like that came out in a majorly creepy way!)

A little creepy. but it made me giggle. so all is good. and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest