The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelbones
Went well! Made some food, watched a film, got ridiculously high and sat for 3 hours crying with laughter at rubbish jokes. Not feeling any attraction but it was a good evening.
Dunno why I was so nervous :h:

That's awesome :biggrin: Happy for you!
Reply 5081
Original post by 35mm_
Still pretty shaky. The lady in the shop had to sit me down for a bit until I calmed down. :ashamed:

Yea... at its worst one attack would leave me shaky all day. Whats worse is you dont always know what triggers them. I really hope you feel better soon. :console:
Original post by warp2125
Yea... at its worst one attack would leave me shaky all day. Whats worse is you dont always know what triggers them. I really hope you feel better soon. :console:

I don't want to go out but I've got to go to A&E :frown: Just want to hide under my duvet all day...
Original post by joverbena
Has anybody on this thread ever taken Paroxetine? ...after 2 or 3 months I wittled them down to half pills and came off. They ...just became really numb emotionally and I didn't want it to last forever! And I just really personally dislike counselling, I've tried it a couple of times in the past but I've never had any good experiences, it's all very well having a sympathetic ear and somebody telling you your situation has been really unfair but it doesn't change anything for me. I prefer practical things to alleviate the depression, that said counseling can be extremely good for some and very much depends on the counsellor you get.
Can't say I've every been prescribed paroxetine. I can say that, in my experience, medication to control symptoms of mood and depression tend dull the emotions. That is the reason why I am not always compliant as I want to feel like a normal person :frown: Even though it places me at increased risk...

Counselling or therapy takes a while to be effective in my opinion and even then it's value will be different for everyone. For me, it helps me to rationalise and keep my thoughts in order. It will never cure me as my condition is for life. Need to build a good relationship with the therapist which takes a few months at least before any meaningful work can begin.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5084
Original post by 35mm_
I don't want to go out but I've got to go to A&E :frown: Just want to hide under my duvet all day...

I remember the times I crawled back into bed and stayed there. big regrets on that. Can you get someone to go with you to A&E?
Just got to fill in a Service User Questionnaire. One question reads "What is your general opinion of the crisis team?" You had "Very helpful", "Helpful", "Indifferent", "Unhelpful" and "Very Unhelpful". Unfortunately there was no option for "I think they should be subjected to this"
Original post by angelbones
Went well! Made some food, watched a film, got ridiculously high and sat for 3 hours crying with laughter at rubbish jokes. Not feeling any attraction but it was a good evening.
Dunno why I was so nervous :h:

That's awesome, glad to hear it went well :smile:
Original post by bullettheory
Just got to fill in a Service User Questionnaire. One question reads "What is your general opinion of the crisis team?" You had "Very helpful", "Helpful", "Indifferent", "Unhelpful" and "Very Unhelpful". Unfortunately there was no option for "I think they should be subjected to this"

:laugh: I agreeee.

:rofl:

****ing love jackass.
I hate those questionairres. They never seem to ask important questions like "do they listen to your needs and concerns with empathy, co-ordinating with your psychiatrist/cpn to ensure these problems are incorporated into the care plan"

Just seems like bull**** to satisfy their outcome monitoring system and the government so they can demonstrate how 'good' their performance is...
I remember the times I crawled back into bed and stayed there. big regrets on that. Can you get someone to go with you to A&E?

Nobody's willing to come with me :frown:
Reply 5091
Original post by 35mm_

Hmm... thats not good. I would come if i was there. Can be there in spirit but thats the best I can do :biggrin:
Original post by 35mm_
I know it's not much help but if you take your phone with you could always keep in touch with people via this thread to help cope with the stress/anxiety of waiting at A&E. 'Virtual' support :smile:
Hmm... thats not good. I would come if i was there. Can be there in spirit but thats the best I can do :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:

Original post by los lobos marinos
I know it's not much help but if you take your phone with you could always keep in touch with people via this thread to help cope with the stress/anxiety of waiting at A&E. 'Virtual' support :smile:

Thanks. I might do :smile:
Original post by 35mm_

Is there a reason why you have to go to A&E in particular? Last time I had stitches my GP took them out for me, and I think nurses can do it as well.
Original post by los lobos marinos
Can't say I've every been prescribed paroxetine. I can say that, in my experience, medication to control symptoms of mood and depression tend dull the emotions. That is the reason why I am not always compliant as I want to feel like a normal person :frown: Even though it places me at increased risk...

Counselling or therapy takes a while to be effective in my opinion and even then it's value will be different for everyone. For me, it helps me to rationalise and keep my thoughts in order. It will never cure me as my condition is for life. Need to build a good relationship with the therapist which takes a few months at least before any meaningful work can begin.

I can see how it could take some time to build a relationship with a therapist. I guess I've never really felt I have enough time to dedicate to it, I've always got money to earn and carer responsibilities (my mum is completely dependent on me) and if I don't keep up, think that'd make my depression/panic state worse. Did you go private? I always assumed you get results quicker if you go private too, which I just have no money for. Most effective mental health experts seem to be in the private sector, which is why my mum has always been in such a state with her schizophrenia, she's had medication thrown at her all her life and is pretty dysfunctional now. I agree medication does tend to numb you and stop you experiencing sensations which make life worth living in the first place! But helps through really bad times as i said and if you can use it to get over hurdles, then I personally felt calmer after coming off it, didn't experience any horrible side effects or anything. And my panic attack heart had calmed down by then. I doubt i'm immune to experiencing it all again in the future, but it's nice to try and gain some control.
Original post by superwolf
Is there a reason why you have to go to A&E in particular? Last time I had stitches my GP took them out for me, and I think nurses can do it as well.

I called my GP surgery up yesterday and the earliest the practice nurse can see me is next Friday. I would wait until then but i've been told that if you leave it too late, your skin can grow over the stitches and make it very painful to take them out. Don't know whether that's true or a load of ****, though.
I'm never going to do this essay, I just feel so low. I didn't start it weeks ago because I felt low, then I started ADs and couldn't face it. Now I'm just feeling really low again. Don't even get me started on my long essay, that thing is evil. I can't hack uni right now, I think it's making me worse.
Original post by 35mm_
I called my GP surgery up yesterday and the earliest the practice nurse can see me is next Friday. I would wait until then but i've been told that if you leave it too late, your skin can grow over the stitches and make it very painful to take them out. Don't know whether that's true or a load of ****, though.

That's annoying. My local hospital has a walk-in centre attached for more minor things than you'd go to A&E for - have you checked there's nothing like that near you?
Original post by superwolf
That's annoying. My local hospital has a walk-in centre attached for more minor things than you'd go to A&E for - have you checked there's nothing like that near you?

I have checked but there is nothing. There's a walk-in centre in Solihull but that's far away from where I live. I'm probably going to chicken out and not go to A&E. Don't paticularly care about the state of my wrist at the moment.

Latest