The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seanfromtheblock
I don't really see it like that. Sex is fun and I don't see how it's crass or disgusting to enjoy it. People who have casual sex are not 'tacky tramps' (well, some of them might be, but the vast majority are not) they're just normal people.

It'd be good to remember that there are people in this thread who don't think the same way as you, and that post comes across to be very insulting.

I don't care if people think I'm very insulting. It's something I feel very strongly about.

Besides, if a ranking old-timer can't rant about something, what's the world coming to. I'm not suggesting that we all just remain celibate. Far from it. I just strongly advocate monogamy and the idea that sex is about more than pleasure. For me it has a much deeper meaning, and it is something that I have only ever shared with people that I have developed a very deep emotional connection with. To see this disregarded by other people makes me very sad. :frown:
Just found my Level 7 swimming certificate.

Never felt so accomplished. :smug:
Reply 742
Original post by cpdavis
Now listening to the soundtrack of Chicago now. I personally prefer the movie to the theatre version (and that's very rare)

Original post by seanfromtheblock
think it depends who you see in the cast, I've seen it 4 times, and it's been completely different every time I've seen it.

I've now seen it in a normal theater, broadway, and west end, and obviously the film. I was shocked at how different they all are. Especially the west end version. They changed quite a lot of it to be honest, but I couldn't say that I prefer one over the other, I love them all but they all have something different about them.

I spose it depends on who happens to be the director at the time...
Original post by Mad Vlad
Of course it's ****ing judgemental. It's living up to an utterly crass and frankly disgusting stereotype that I feel dirty being tarred with. People that whore it about with random strangers, gay or straight, make me so angry. Don't they have any pride in themselves, or is three minutes of carnal pleasure too much temptation? It's people like this that cause strangers to automatically assume that I'm some sort of tacky tramp that can't keep it in my pants, simply because I'm gay when it couldn't be further from the truth.

You know me, Jace - I'm normally quite reserved and level-headed, but nothing annoys me more than people with no morals and no self respect - people that lie, cheat and are only in it for themselves, and it makes me very cross.

I honestly don't understand what's wrong with having some fun with someone else who wants to have fun. I get that you see sex as something more than that, but that doesn't give you the right to get puritanical about it - which is exactly what you're doing. It's fine that you want to reserve it to be something special shared with someone you care about dearly, but forcing that view on others is frankly insulting. I've always strongly held the view that what two consenting adults get up to in the bedroom is their business, and theirs alone, no matter whether other people have different moral stances on the issue, and I would encourage others to think the same way. In fact, I happen to feel that that view is supportive of the QUILTBAG community, not damaging.
I don't care if people think I'm very insulting. It's something I feel very strongly about.

Besides, if a ranking old-timer can't rant about something, what's the world coming to. I'm not suggesting that we all just remain celibate. Far from it. I just strongly advocate monogamy and the idea that sex is about more than pleasure. For me it has a much deeper meaning, and it is something that I have only ever shared with people that I have developed a very deep emotional connection with. To see this disregarded by other people makes me very sad. :frown:

I haven't read the original post, but I agree with the points made here. It worries me that people are so casual when it comes down to it. Surely its best, as you yourself have said, to be in a committed relationship, regardless of orientation.
:facepalm:
Reply 746
On a more shallow note, I'd like to let everyone know that I've got a new crush.

Matt Bomer. Google image him. He's so dreamy. With an amazing body. And he recently came out.

He's guesting on the new episode of Glee.
Reply 747
Good evening/morning gays (depending on how you loom at it :tongue:. I have been for delicious TGI Friday's food today, been to work, iPlayered The Apprentice, and now I'm about ready for bed.

However, my boyfriend has suggested a little, er, how can I put this... reward scheme shall we say, that's getting me thinking... :wink:

Ahem... :tongue:
Original post by L.O.V.E.
On a more shallow note, I'd like to let everyone know that I've got a new crush.

Matt Bomer. Google image him. He's so dreamy. With an amazing body. And he recently came out.

meh

For me it's Douglas Booth, the jaw line :coma:
I think Spencer is definitely the best looking and his hair is SUCH an improvement from series 1.

AGREED. And I don't find Ollie hot AT ALL.
Original post by anshul95
AGREED. And I don't find Ollie hot AT ALL.

Ollie's first girlfriend pissed me off (I don't think any of the cast do anything for me)

I'm back up to scratch with LM and ref form
Reply 751
Hey gays, I am back. Hunger Games was alright, and had lots of hot men in it. :p:

Original post by Revd. Mike
You'd get on fabulously with Chris. He's very insistent that we have the correct cutlery and glassware for everything (something I'm very supportive of). I did have to intervene when he was about to buy artichoke dishes and knives.

"You don't even like artichokes, when would you use them?!"

"I might learn to like them if I had the right equipment..."

I recall liking your fiancé for glassware reasons already, this just makes me like him more. TSRLGBTSCT dinner party? :awesome:

About casual sex with strangers? I'm struggling to think of anything that isn't tacky about it.

What do you mean by 'tacky'? To me it means something like 'kitch', which doesn't seem to fit here.

Original post by goodcookies
Whad'ya all think of websites like gaydar for making friends in the area? I mean, I had a browse through gaydargirls and found that there was huuuuundreds of les's that I didn't know existed. But I'm a bit apprehensive about making a profile... Hmmm :innocent: I'm bored of having only straight friends. :sigh:

I don't know what the girls sites are like, but the guys versions have lots of people who aren't exactly looking for friends. But it's worth a try, I'm sure. And you might want to see if Queer Youth Network have meets in your area, they're not bad.

Of course it's ****ing judgemental. It's living up to an utterly crass and frankly disgusting stereotype that I feel dirty being tarred with. People that whore it about with random strangers, gay or straight, make me so angry. Don't they have any pride in themselves, or is three minutes of carnal pleasure too much temptation? It's people like this that cause strangers to automatically assume that I'm some sort of tacky tramp that can't keep it in my pants, simply because I'm gay when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Basically what Terpsi said; at their core ideas about promiscuity or casual sex being linked to lack of self-respect come from an idea that sex is this special thing, different from any other activity people do together. If you think that then it follows that having sex with lots of people, or without a deep emotional bond, suggests you don't value yourself much, but that's just not at all how I look at sex (or think sex should be looked at). As Simon Amstell puts it, no-one ever says "you're playing all that tennis: where's it all leading?". Sure, it's annoying to have it assumed you behave in a certain way just because of an aspect of your identity, but it's fine to say "I want all my sex to be part of something emotional and deep" without saying "sex without something emotional and deep reflects badly on those doing it".

Original post by Terpsikhore
But then I think in general, people make too big a deal out of sex. It's not a bond, a contract, a duty. It's not a declaration of love or a sacrifice. It's body parts rubbing together that produces physical pleasure (and sometimes children).

PRSOM.

Nice, but not my cup of tea. It doesn't help that my immediate reaction was "Hee hee, his name looks like Boner."

Original post by cpdavis
meh

For me it's Douglas Booth, the jaw line :coma:

Now THERE'S a guy I could get behind.

Spoiler

When my friend is drunk, I get the weirdest stuff from him ...
Original post by Terpsikhore
Nice, but not my cup of tea. It doesn't help that my immediate reaction was "Hee hee, his name looks like Boner."

Now THERE'S a guy I could get behind.

Spoiler

:rofl:
Reply 755
Original post by dbmag9

As Simon Amstell puts it, no-one ever says "you're playing all that tennis: where's it all leading?".

PRSOM.

Trust you...
I swear this debate/flaming row happens far to often.

Personnaly it is people's private life and unless they decide to make it public I don't care.
Reply 757
Morning, gays (look, no scare quotes!). Off to Oxford to get poked with pointy needles, then maybe even meet up with Unduli if he notices my messages at him. :p:

Original post by zakiman
Trust you...

It's a good way of putting it!

Original post by crazylemon
I swear this debate/flaming row happens far to often.

Personnaly it is people's private life and unless they decide to make it public I don't care.

It doesn't come up that often, does it? I think there was a little last summer with Owen, but that's the last time I remember it being an issue here.
Reply 758
Morning all

Ahh, I'm so enjoying the relaxing easter break. As much as I miss my friends, I am quite enjoying not being hungover as often and therefore actually getting out of bed at reasonable times. I've been getting up between 5-6am most days and going for a run and then hitting the gym all before 7am. It's really motivating having a shower, breakfast and then actually sitting down and doing some genuine work all day because I've managed to get all my little chores and stuff done nice and early.

That said, I cut myself shaving this morning and now have what feels like a huge gash on my chin. :'( Sad times. On a happier note, I'm hungry and going to go make a bacon sandwich as I have bacon to use up before it goes off. Nom nom nom.

Latest