The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

This is going to sound odd, but here goes anyway. Might be a self harm trigger.

Spoiler

Original post by Delain
I'm really sorry to hear you have to wait that long, unfortunately I think the demand is such in most places that this is pretty standard. I had a 2 month wait for counselling when I had it and they told me if I wanted psychotherapy I'd have to wait SIX MONTHS. So naturally I chose the former.

yeah, it's crazy though, they must be horrendously underfunded/understaffed to have waiting lists that long, well ****ing done UK government for failing mental health services, yet another thing I can hate the ****ers for.
Original post by Anonymous
:frown: that's so ****. I don't think it's the services fault though, they're so overstretched that it's probably really difficult for them to accommodate everyone. Are there any charities/organisations in your area that offer free counselling? That could be an option whilst you wait for therapy. Hang in there :heart:

yeah, that's what I figured, I blame the government tbh, consistently mental health services have been ignored or shafted by them. :frown:

luckily my mum knows how I can get counselling through work colleagues she has and she thinks that will be within 2-3 weeks, is something at least
Reply 9623
Original post by SciFiBoy
yeah, it's crazy though, they must be horrendously underfunded/understaffed to have waiting lists that long, well ****ing done UK government for failing mental health services, yet another thing I can hate the ****ers for.

I agree with you, it's just shocking when people need help and can't get it for a long time. They are very much underfunded and understaffed which is a crying shame. I was considering volunteering to help out with a mental health charity as it would be a worthwhile thing to do.

You've probably considered this already but I'm putting it out there just in case - have you tried your local branch of Mind, if you have one? They provide free counselling, the wait list is about 4-6 weeks depending on how busy they are but it might be a bit quicker for you at least? I can tell you from experience they do very good work.
Original post by Delain
I agree with you, it's just shocking when people need help and can't get it for a long time. They are very much underfunded and understaffed which is a crying shame. I was considering volunteering to help out with a mental health charity as it would be a worthwhile thing to do.

You've probably considered this already but I'm putting it out there just in case - have you tried your local branch of Mind, if you have one? They provide free counselling, the wait list is about 4-6 weeks depending on how busy they are but it might be a bit quicker for you at least? I can tell you from experience they do very good work.

exactly, I know people who volunteer for charities like that yeah, sounds like a good thing to do :smile:

haven't looked in to it tbh, but like I said my Mum said to me she can speak to people she works with and hopefully organise counselling for me within 2-3 weeks (she works as a nurse) if that doesn't work out I will look up Mind thank you :smile:
for the love of ****.

had my initial phone appointment just now, which I think went okay, but at the end they tell me there is a 3 month waiting list for therapy :frown: 3 ****ing months, that's really helpful then, not.

seriously, how **** are mental health services here if that's the wait...

Where abouts do you live? If you live in London I can recommend a few places for you :smile:
Reply 9626
Ah I just saw your post, sorry about that. Crossed posts are my least favourite thing ever. :tongue: I hope you can manage to get something sorted with your mum's colleagues.
Original post by Sabertooth
This is going to sound odd, but here goes anyway. Might be a self harm trigger.

Spoiler

No experience with hallucinating, but I definitely get very strong urges to do things like make deep cuts in certain places. Feels like it's something I have to do in order to stop the urge. I try things like bending my wrists or pressing down on the area but it can be very distracting and difficult to ignore.

Good on you for not doing anything, you're being really strong :heart:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Where abouts do you live? If you live in London I can recommend a few places for you :smile:

Bath, thanks for the offer though :smile: like I said hopefully my mum is gonna help me sort out some counselling
Original post by Delain
Ah I just saw your post, sorry about that. Crossed posts are my least favourite thing ever. :tongue: I hope you can manage to get something sorted with your mum's colleagues.

No experience with hallucinating, but I definitely get very strong urges to do things like make deep cuts in certain places. Feels like it's something I have to do in order to stop the urge. I try things like bending my wrists or pressing down on the area but it can be very distracting and difficult to ignore.

Good on you for not doing anything, you're being really strong :heart:

Yeah, it doesn't really feel like a choice, it's a command for me anyway. :frown:

Have you tried stuff like pinging an elastic band on your wrist or holding ice cubes, apparently that helps some people (whereas it just makes them laugh for me, not good enough apparently).

Currently wearing a hoody and listening to the clash as loud as possible.
Original post by Sabertooth
Yeah, it doesn't really feel like a choice, it's a command for me anyway. :frown:

Have you tried stuff like pinging an elastic band on your wrist or holding ice cubes, apparently that helps some people (whereas it just makes them laugh for me, not good enough apparently).

Currently wearing a hoody and listening to the clash as loud as possible.

Tried using elastic bands and running cold water over it, nothing seems to help :frown: Even making shallow cuts does nothing, it's like you say, 'not good enough' to stop the urges. I'd suggest going out for a walk or something, but I know you're worried about being followed so that might not be the best idea.
for the love of ****.

had my initial phone appointment just now, which I think went okay, but at the end they tell me there is a 3 month waiting list for therapy :frown: 3 ****ing months, that's really helpful then, not.

seriously, how **** are mental health services here if that's the wait...

I had my initial assessment in December last year and was told I'd be a priority case. It's now May and I've heard nothing from them and I'm too afraid of phones to chase it up :redface:

The state of mental health care in this country is disgusting. With a bit of extra help most of us would be living lives feeling supported and valued. Instead we're just these little annoyances and hardly anybody knows what to do with us and those that do can't afford to treat us when we need it.

Ugh. Managed to shower today which is a major achievement. I then binged heavily and now feel awful. Missed the committee meeting I was supposed to attend and haven't done a single bit of work. Really not feeling good at the moment.

I have a massive open day thing next wednesday where people are going to come and see our project's stand and we have to discuss it and everything. It's happening in our big computer lab and we keep getting emails telling us how loud it is going to be and how busy our day is. I am terrified to the point of wanting to throw up. I don't go into that lab during quite lab session times. The room is huge and I don't like it at all. I have special permission to avoid the labs but this is one of those times that I can't get out of.

Contemplating asking for something to take of the anxious edge but don't know how the doctor will take it without it looking like drug seeking. Gah.
Original post by Webberino
Thanks, hopefully will some stuff out Thursday and see what I can do from there. :hugs:

Hope you slept well, hope your day is good too. :hugs:

Sounds good :-) How has your day been?

Thanks. I'm feeling really down today, not sure what to do with myself.
I only just got a C on the mock I did last week, bit gutted about that to be honest.
Also my step-dad's mum us coming this evening so I'll be expected to keep her company, the last thing I feel like doing.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I had my initial assessment in December last year and was told I'd be a priority case. It's now May and I've heard nothing from them and I'm too afraid of phones to chase it up :redface:

The state of mental health care in this country is disgusting. With a bit of extra help most of us would be living lives feeling supported and valued. Instead we're just these little annoyances and hardly anybody knows what to do with us and those that do can't afford to treat us when we need it.

Ugh. Managed to shower today which is a major achievement. I then binged heavily and now feel awful. Missed the committee meeting I was supposed to attend and haven't done a single bit of work. Really not feeling good at the moment.

I have a massive open day thing next wednesday where people are going to come and see our project's stand and we have to discuss it and everything. It's happening in our big computer lab and we keep getting emails telling us how loud it is going to be and how busy our day is. I am terrified to the point of wanting to throw up. I don't go into that lab during quite lab session times. The room is huge and I don't like it at all. I have special permission to avoid the labs but this is one of those times that I can't get out of.

Contemplating asking for something to take of the anxious edge but don't know how the doctor will take it without it looking like drug seeking. Gah.

that's pretty awful they haven't called you or anything? :/

exactly, it's absurd they don't put proper funding and staff in to mental health services, meh, im gonna stop here cause otherwise im gonna go off on a big political rant and people won't like that :tongue:

I hope you feel better soon and that they get back to you about your appointment! :hugs:
Sounds good :-) How has your day been?

Thanks. I'm feeling really down today, not sure what to do with myself.
I only just got a C on the mock I did last week, bit gutted about that to be honest.
Also my step-dad's mum us coming this evening so I'll be expected to keep her company, the last thing I feel like doing.

Alright, started going through some notes while watching snooker. At least my favourite player is doing well.

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
Ah well, sure you will do better next time. :hugs:
Ah that can be a pain, hopefully it won't all fall on you.
Reply 9636

exactly, it's absurd they don't put proper funding and staff in to mental health services, meh, im gonna stop here cause otherwise im gonna go off on a big political rant and people won't like that :tongue:

I hope you feel better soon and that they get back to you about your appointment! :hugs:

:jerry:

Spoiler

Reply 9637
Original post by Webberino
Alright, started going through some notes while watching snooker. At least my favourite player is doing well.

Is that O'Sullivan by any chance? :biggrin: He's my favourite too :biggrin: Though it's the first time this year that I've seen any of his matches :eek: :tongue:

I'm not sure who here would disagree with the idea of more funding. I don't think even Saber could disagree with on that one.
Missed college again today, but managed to take a shower! (unfortunately I consider this an achievement at the moment :colondollar:)

Anyone else find that their personal hygiene goes completely out of the window?! I'm averaging 1 bath/shower a week at the moment and only wear make-up for work on Saturday (purely because I work in a salon). I'm beginning to look rather ill :erm:

Oh, absolutely. It's the psychomotor retardation kicking in: it affects everything from hygiene to diet to exercise to work. I just can't be arsed doing anything, to the extent that getting out of bed becomes a strenuous chore.

And, incidentally, all of you should consider watching Sapolsky's lecture on depression. It's long, but definitely worth it.

Latest